advertisement

Onix Audio

Having read the Wikipedia page on Onix and the new website I'm confused.
Both state that Onix started selling OA20s in 1984.

I've still got my receipt from Donnington Audio, Newbury, (Peter West if I remember correctly), dated 24.4.81.

I left a cheque for £200 and took away an OA20 and an AR60 for home dem, after 2 weeks confirmed I preferred the Onix, then returned the two amps and picked up a new Oa20, serial number 1007, which I still have.

Regards Richard

Perhaps they didn't actually get the partnership registered as ONIX AUDIO until 1984.

Craig

Hi Adam
Yes the amp still works.
It had a lot of use for several years, so much so that the paint wore off the edge of the on/off knob, but apart from that and a chip in the paint it still looks as new.
I part exchanged it for a Linn LK2/280 with Phil Thompson at Newbury Audio, another nice chap to do business with, unfortunately no longer in the industry.
Phil used it in his second system at home, then I borrowed it while the Linn was being updated and bought it back.

The source relays packed up after about two years. replaced foc by Onix.
I brought it out of storage last month and was about to use it , when I noticed that one speaker terminal was loose. On inspection I found that the plastic insulation washers had disintegrated, after a bit of a fiddle due to lack of space they were replaced and all was well. Not bad two minor problems in 35 years.
I got it's serial number wrong, it's 1008.
I'll add some photos once I've got some more batteries.

Cheers
Richard

Always been a big fan of Onix amps Adam, from my days of helping out Chris at Pro-Musica.

I recommended them to several friends, all of whom still have and love them.

Best of luck with the new design.

I remember Chris and Pro-Musica he did well for us .

Do you know what happened to him?

Adam

Yes i do. He helps out at some hifi shows selling records with Stamford Audio. He's also worked as a village postman but I have a feeling he may have retired now. Still services the odd LP12 (mine!) and is very well. Will send him your regards.

Jez

You've got to give the chaps at ONIX a hearty slap on the back. Jolly decent fellows.
They know how to cultivate brand loyalty.

Yes i do. He helps out at some hifi shows selling records with Stamford Audio. He's also worked as a village postman but I have a feeling he may have retired now. Still services the odd LP12 (mine!) and is very well. Will send him your regards.

Jez

Chris was at the Audiojumble last Sunday.

Wow, it's like a slightly squashed version of the later design. Still cute.

As far as I'm concerned the OA21S is the best looking amp ever. Closely followed by the OA21, which is slightly lesser due to having the input selections labelled (compromising absolute minimalism). Not forgetting they sound great too.

Although I still have an OA21, and treasure it, I still regret selling my original OA21S, that gave me such pleasure through the 90s and beyond. Now where did that go, I wonder?

Adam,
my OA21s seems to be an early model to, Serial 1252.
Could you give me any hint of it's history?

Relay and Caps have been serviced already.

advertisement

Back