advertisement

One sub or two...?

Si74

pfm Member
Treating myself to some vinyl tonight.
Love & Money, bass a bit o.t.t. a wee play with the frequency and volume on the subs.
Could become ridiculous adjusting for every recording but the differences dwarf the timbre lock on my amps.
Now for the Killer.. one of my subs is on the floor behind the right speaker, the other is sat on top of bass trap 4ft above the floor in the left corner.
Laugh if you may but it gives the bass height and a whole new dimension not remotely possible
when I used one much larger sub.

As a footnote, anyone looking for KT 88's, the redesigned EH 88's I got a few months ago are way the best I've ever had and I've tried lots!

QRBXsHa.jpg

Lovely!! Do I spy a Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista CD player in the mix?
Could you please run us through your set up and components?

Lovely!! Do I spy a Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista CD player in the mix?
Could you please run us through your set up and components?

Sorry Darren,only just noticed this
Oracle/Kuzma/Koetsu
Nu Vista CD
Tisbury Audio phono stage fed by Quicksilver step up *
Emotiva PT 100 pre*
Audiopax 88s on d.i.y platforms isolated from floor
Pre and cd fed from a Shunyata Hydra via Lessloss power cords
Townshend rack
All components isolated from the floor and rack by various isolation devices.
Speakers.. eh custom designed and built double mouth horns based on a Sachiko
design but bigger with better drivers Fostex 208 and Fostex Super tweeters
(isolated from floor on Aurio Pros and fed by Cutloose Silver /palladium speakers cables.
Ultra tweeters I can't mind the name of.
Harmonic Tech i/c's between pre and power amps (Fibre Optic with gubbins on either end)
Two REL Quake subs
* Usually a Supratek pre with a Quicksilver phono stage but these are in the Casualty cupboard
for the moment.
A shed load of d.i.y. panels and bass traps along with five or six guitars and three guitar amps
that happily sing along.
Strangely, at least to my ears, the aforementioned seem to add to the sound but in
any case, nowhere else for them to live or her who must be obeyed would go mental!!!

Sorry Darren,only just noticed this
Oracle/Kuzma/Koetsu
Nu Vista CD
Tisbury Audio phono stage fed by Quicksilver step up *
Emotiva PT 100 pre*
Audiopax 88s on d.i.y platforms isolated from floor
Pre and cd fed from a Shunyata Hydra via Lessloss power cords
Townshend rack
All components isolated from the floor and rack by various isolation devices.
Speakers.. eh custom designed and built double mouth horns based on a Sachiko
design but bigger with better drivers Fostex 208 and Fostex Super tweeters
(isolated from floor on Aurio Pros and fed by Cutloose Silver /palladium speakers cables.
Ultra tweeters I can't mind the name of.
Harmonic Tech i/c's between pre and power amps (Fibre Optic with gubbins on either end)
Two REL Quake subs
* Usually a Supratek pre with a Quicksilver phono stage but these are in the Casualty cupboard
for the moment.
A shed load of d.i.y. panels and bass traps along with five or six guitars and three guitar amps
that happily sing along.
Strangely, at least to my ears, the aforementioned seem to add to the sound but in
any case, nowhere else for them to live or her who must be obeyed would go mental!!!
Very interesting set up!! Like it very much. Do you believe the Tisbury brings out the best in your Koetsu? Would you consider upgrading those REL Quakes to something decent? (I'm half Joking)
Good to see you've invested in decent cables too.

The Tisbury set for mc doesn't rock my boat but on the mm setting using the quicksilver step up, it's
remarkable value for money. Obviously not in the league of my Quicksilver which I'll go back to if I
ever get it repaired. Don't have the space or the inclination to upgrade the Quakes and doubt very much if the Supratek
will ever go back in the system. To old to be paranoid about the 25 valves that used to be in the system.
Might have liked an Audiopax pre or a Supratek Syrah (again) at one time but had I that kind of dosh these days, it would be getting spent on guitars.
The Emotiva came as a shock soundwise and it's extremely convenient, never listen to the tuner, the phono stage
in it is well .... but the pre and the DAC sections delight me so my days of upgrading are over.

advertisement

Back