advertisement

One for the Naim experts: Logo and display bleed?

John_73

pfm Member
Currently looking for a mint condition CDX2.2. I've a non-Naim system, but as I've always thought they were great looking players, always fancied one, owned and loved a CDI for years, plus the later variant is versatile in that it can be listened to 'as Naim intended', or if I fancy it can connect up to my Chord Hugo TT (when its back from a service!) if I want a change running it purely as a high quality CD transport. Nice to have the added bonus of being able to play my handful of HDCD discs in it too. I also still love the experience of playing a CD rather than moving over 100% to streaming only, and fancied a Naim to do that with as my final player.

The only fly in the ointment is I've (very) recently been made aware of both Naim logo, and LCD display 'bleed'. Seems like it was quiet common amongst gear made around 2010-2012ish, though really this is just from piecing together what I've read today from a wee Google search of the Naim forum (not a member). Still, was surprised to read it affected so many models. Mild examples below (apparently it can get a lot worse):

51119679531_60aedb128a_o.jpg
51120470870_91e341e21d_o.jpg

I've been offered a CDX2.2 for a reasonable price, but it has the beginnings of the bleed on both the logo and the track info display. After having been unfortunate in buying a used Hugo TT recently which then needed to be sent off for a service, I don't want to spend a fair chunk on a used piece of gear then have to pay extra to get the Naim logo and display replaced (and knowing Naim I'm guessing it wouldn't be cheap, and I'll be scraping the savings to afford this as it is). So unsure whether to go for this anyway, or whether there might be units out there that don't suffer from this issue at all?

Cheers,

John.

I bought a used CD5XS which had bleed on both logos. I contacted Naim and they said they would fix one free of charge but I would have to pay to have the other changed, can't remember why. I told them to go ahead with it and they replaced both displays. They didn't charge me for either.

I can't guarantee they'll do the same for you but they are a good company who stand by their products. Or at least they used to be. I don't know if anything has changed under the new owners.

I would call them and see what they say.

That’s good to know that they replaced one of them for free at least.

I’ll get in touch with them next week then and see what they say. Last time I was in touch with them was around 2002 and I think it was a woman called Sheila at the time, who was extremely helpful.

Ta.

That’s good to know that they replaced one of them for free at least.

I've always found Naim service to be very good. In this instance they know it's not wear but a faulty unit. I can't remember why they said I'd have to pay to get the other display changed.

If you do need to pay it's not cheap. They did tell me how much it would cost, I can't remember how much it was but it was hundreds.

I believe those days are gone,
Naim accept service arranged through dealer network only and hardly provide anything without their standard charge.

Bleeding logo's never bothered me, just that damn fading Uniti display.

Naim accept service arranged through dealer network only..

That's always been encouraged and I don't know of a reason not to go that way. I can't remember the exact sequence of events but I did send the player down via a dealer and I did speak to someone at Naim in person.

Only way to get it fixed is via a dealer, recently had the display on my uniti changed it was going to cost £330.00 inc carriage so had the streaming board upgraded at the same time along with a new power switch which fortunately failed just before sending it off. So not too bad a price for all that.
Have heard that they now offer just a screen replacement for £150 so might be worth enquiring if that also applies to the logo.

Naim replaced the bleeding logos on FOUR of my amps and power supplies free of charge, but only when they were in for other work

I had the logo on my nDAC replaced about 18 months ago. Audio T did the job for around £100. Took a couple of weeks to get delivery of the part from Naim, and a couple of hours to do the swap.

Thanks for the responses folks. Looks like a £1350 CDX2.2 purchase could well turn into something fast edging out of my price range depending upon what Naim might charge (plus insured courier fees both ways), and I’m sure I’d then be encouraged to get the caps changed and so on whilst it was there, so closer to £2k all in. So need to think this through. Have emailed them and will make a decision based upon their reply. I might end up going for another CDI as I still often miss the one I sold, plus ironically they’re easier to service in terms of the transports when needed. Cheers.

If it goes back to Naim it’s likely to take quite a while. If you are interested in getting the player it may be worth contacting Darran at Class A in Sheffield for a quote. He is much more speedy and cheaper too. Depending on the quote it may be possible to negotiate on the price.

, so closer to £2k all in.

In that case I'd be looking for a CDS 2or 3 if two box accepted
I've always thought it crazy to use a CDX2.2 as transport to nDAC only, leaving so much electronic unused, but paid for.

Otherwise Rega Isis or Saturn/R if no luck with CDi.

In that case I'd be looking for a CDS 2or 3 if two box accepted
I've always thought it crazy to use a CDX2.2 as transport to nDAC only, leaving so much electronic unused, but paid for.

Otherwise Rega Isis or Saturn/R if no luck with CDi.

As I said in my fist post, I'd be using it as a straight Naim CD player, and also into a Chord TT depending upon mood, music played etc. Nice to have both options available for two different kinds of sounds.

My original desire was for the CDX2.2, for it's looks as well as everything else, so I think I'll stick to that for now, cheers.

Just had a reply from Naim. Posting it here incase it’s of use to anyone else who encounters these display issues:

“Hi John,
Thank you for your email.

To perhaps help you to make your decision, a logo repair would be free of charge as this was found to be a compromised component that was used in some units. The display replacement would be chargeable but if you are UK based this is a cost of £140 plus shipping costs. Outside the UK the prices can vary.

If the price the unit is being offered for is a good price, then you may find that the cost of the display repair makes it a worthwhile purchase. The performance of the unit is not reduced in any way.

Any repair/servicing can be booked through our retail network, here's a link if you wish to contact your nearest dealer:

https://www.naimaudio.com/find-a-retailer

I hope this is useful.”

advertisement

Back