advertisement

[WTD] Omega watch service.

I sent mine directly to Omega, or Swatch as they are really, note info below from 2017 - but can't have changed that much:

SG UK - CS Southampton
PO Box 1642 SO15 9AZ / Southampton
Phone : +44 (0)2380 646850
Fax : +44 (0)2380 646900
e-mail : [email protected]/[email protected]

They received it (no 35 week lead time nonsense), told me what sort of shafting I was in for and fixed it when I agreed.

S

This is very useful thread for us Omega owners. Would the OP kindly let us know how the service goes?

I must admit I had a very frustrating experience with Swatch when servicing my Aqua Terra. After the very long wait I got it back and there was an issue with a loose crown within a few days. The Omega boutique did their best to make up for it but I won't use Swatch again.

This is very useful thread for us Omega owners. Would the OP kindly let us know how the service goes?

I must admit I had a very frustrating experience with Swatch when servicing my Aqua Terra. After the very long wait I got it back and there was an issue with a loose crown within a few days. The Omega boutique did their best to make up for it but I won't use Swatch again.
Will do.

Ok
I've gone with ORA in Wokingham, just dropped it off and was quoted 2-3 weeks and £520 plus VAT.
A bit less than Omega from cost and lead times, but having never had this watch serviced don't know if the price is fair and what others pay?

Ok
I've gone with ORA in Wokingham, just dropped it off and was quoted 2-3 weeks and £520 plus VAT.
A bit less than Omega from cost and lead times, but having never had this watch serviced don't know if the price is fair and what others pay?

Crikey that seems alot. I was quoted a third of that last year for a service & it running slow. But mine's 1956 vintage. Plus vat too? Jeepers.

My previous awful experience service was 420 which included 85 for a new cog (I have doubts was ever changed at all).. albeit 3 yrs ago now.

Mine cost 820, which was pretty much the purchase price of the watch.

However only 340 of that service, 480 was vicious shafting for a new bracelet. Shame on me for wearing the damn thing....

S

Crikey that seems alot. I was quoted a third of that last year for a service & it running slow. But mine's 1956 vintage. Plus vat too? Jeepers.

My previous awful experience service was 420 which included 85 for a new cog (I have doubts was ever changed at all).. albeit 3 yrs ago now.

Yes I had £4-£500 in my head but as I say no experience of this so went with them. I am miffed with myself as I was in the Omega shop in London a week ago having a new strap fitted and they took ages getting the old one off and in the process had scratched the back of the watch that I didn't notice, it was the chap at Ora who said he would polish it out.

Yes I had £4-£500 in my head but as I say no experience of this so went with them. I am miffed with myself as I was in the Omega shop in London a week ago having a new strap fitted and they took ages getting the old one off and in the process had scratched the back of the watch that I didn't notice, it was the chap at Ora who said he would polish it out.

when I had my Rolex seviced at Watch Doctor they offered to:
clean case/strap.
lightly refurb case/strap.
back to new case/refurb
Given I like 30 odd years of patina, just had it cleaned, jubilee strap/bracelet had stretched as they all do but as was said to be secure no need to repair, if so they'll replace individual links unlike official Rolex service centres who would only replace the whole strap.

absolutely brilliant thread.
My 1957 reissue Speedmaster needs servicing, but also a small repair.
Was wondering for ages how I was going to get this done …without costing a fortune
Many thanks

I have a 1963 Omega Seamaster Deville which needs a service as it gains significant time. This thread will prove very useful in the not too distant future.

Just remember that a service is really a full strip, inspect and put back to standard. So this means any worn parts are changed. Only official Omega service centres can get official Omega parts ( same process that Rolex use).
Non official services are just that. Strip, inspect and rebuild with existing parts, albeit lubricated.
And unless you have no choice, never change the dial and hands. And finally don't ( unless you have no choice) have the watch polished.

Just remember that a service is really a full strip, inspect and put back to standard. So this means any worn parts are changed. Only official Omega service centres can get official Omega parts ( same process that Rolex use).
Non official services are just that. Strip, inspect and rebuild with existing parts, albeit lubricated.
And unless you have no choice, never change the dial and hands. And finally don't ( unless you have no choice) have the watch polished.

I think that's the dilemma for many owners of vintage Omegas. Omega have shut down much of the supply of parts but there are so many horror stories of them polishing cases and swapping in service dials that many owners won't go near them.

My understanding is that many watchmakers have found ways to access genuine Omega parts but @bazza. is in a better position to comment.

advertisement

Back