advertisement

Olive Flatcap Problem

Leicaron

pfm Member
On my 2nd system, my 140 feeds my 62.

I just got a HICAP to power the NAHA2 on my main system, so that freed up an Olive Flatcap. So, I figured that I'd put the FC into the 62/140 system.

However, the FC doesn't power my 62 (no green LED or sound). The FC had powered the NAHA2 from the 5-pin socket, so the 5-pin SNAIC should do the same. I put a meter on the SNAIC and I read 24.8 vdc from the +ve and the -ve as well as the two +ve's.

So, does it matter which 4-pin socket I plug the 4-pin SNAIC on the FC (the one that goes to the 140) ?

Obviously I removed the link-plug to plug in the 5-pin SNAIC and removed the 4-pin SNAIC from the 62 and then plugged it into the FC.

Initially I had the 4-pin SNAIC plugged into Socket #1 and got no-sound. Plugged it into Socket #2 et voila ! Musique !!

I then tried to use socket 1 again and it worked briefly. Now none of the other sockets work.

So I think I have to clean the SNAIC pins, maybe 'tweek' the pins in the sockets.

I opened her up and everything looks pristine inside with no movement of the board holding the sockets.

Is there anything else I could try ?

I think their response would be 'Send it to us for a Service', as they rub their hands with glee and with dollar signs rolling in their eyes ;-)

A colleague of mine had fun connecting a flatcap2 to the new 155/152 - apparently Naim were actually very good at talking through the connections over the phone.

Before opening it up I had 24v on one of the +ve's and 0v on the other.

After opening it up, removing then replacing the board I know get 35v on one and 24.5v on the other ...

Any ideas from the DIY crowd ?

Yup, don't guess. If in doubt, RTFM. Not helpful, I know, but it seems some damage has been done.

James

Sounds to me as if the +24V output from the 140 has had a conflict with one of the two +24V outputs from the FC. As I result, from the +35V and +24.5V readings it's my guess is that you've blown one of the regulators in the FC. Not a major job and there are a number of us over in DIY who could do that for you; best if you can find someone local. Class A in Sheffield are also a possibility.

More important is to find out why it happened. It should have been a simple matter of connecting a 5 pin SNAIC from FC to 62 and a 4 pin SNAIC from FC to 140.

As a further check can you disconnect the units and then measure both outputs from the FC and the +24V output from the 140?

malcolm

I think their response would be 'Send it to us for a Service', as they rub their hands with glee and with dollar signs rolling in their eyes ;-)

I think they'd try to help on the phone, based on my dealings with them.

Their customer service is examplary.

I put a winky face there for a reason ...

Doug Graham is excellent over the phone for most things, but I predict that for anything that needs a box being opened up he'll quite rightly forward you to a Naim dealer and then your nearest service centre if the dealer can't fix it ...

advertisement

Back