advertisement

Oldest speaker in daily use?

More competitive youngsters at just 30+ years, Heco Interior 220S. Sealed design working well in small or larger rooms and easy to drive. Maybe not accurate but a fun listen.

1979 Linn Isobariks actively driven !

I can probably trump that in my mum's house there is a pair of PMS Isobariks s/n 10013/14 making them the seventh pair sold! Launched in 1977 that is probably when they were made. Linn had a demo in an Edinburgh hotel to launch them. I remember being there with my dad. Ivor had the hotel remove the musak speakers from the roof in room used for the demo. They were determined to make sure that the Isobariks were the only speakers in the room.

The speakers, 2 extra NAP250s, SNAPS and NAXO were personally delivered by Russ Andrews in his Volvo estate from Edinburgh to Elgin, 360 miles round trip!

I can probably trump that in my mum's house there is a pair of PMS Isobariks s/n 10013/14 making them the seventh pair sold! Launched in 1977 that is probably when they were made. Linn had a demo in an Edinburgh hotel to launch them. I remember being there with my dad. Ivor had the hotel remove the musak speakers from the roof in room used for the demo. They were determined to make sure that the Isobariks were the only speakers in the room.

The speakers, 2 extra NAP250s, SNAPS and NAXO were personally delivered by Russ Andrews in his Volvo estate from Edinburgh to Elgin, 360 miles round trip!

My 1979 isobariks are s/n 10,687 and 10,688. Sept 1979 original sale

I believe my pair of unmolested Yamaha NS-1000Ms are at least 30 years old.

Difficult to tell the age of mine, but probably similar (though mine have been heavily molested). Somewhat ironic that I replaced my old speakers with ones that are even older - particularly as I'm not particularly inclined toward 'vintage' equipment.

My Linn Kans are from 1981 I think, but I do have Sonab OA-5 Type II speakers from 1970, which sound absolutely great with same vintage Tandberg receiver, but are not in daily use.

advertisement

Back