advertisement

Old vinyl vs today's technology

Thanks, Nic, that's really interesting. It also partially addresses what was to be my next question i.e. is it worth digitising at 24/96 24/192. Does the Pioneer break up the tracks or record an entire side at a time? Do you bother much with vinyl or do you listen to digitised records?

Regards,

Mus

The AtoD in the 609 is a 24 bitter which is reduced to 16 bit output. I personally think the benefits of 24/96 are only modest. I listen to a lot of digitised LPs but still cannot spinning LPs now and again. The 609 tries to separate tracks by the silences between tracks, with some success, but it is far from perfect.

Nic P

Originally Posted by Robert
If I record my turntable digitally the replay sounds exactly like the TT - to the point where they cannot be separated. I seriously doubt that if I took the output from a CD player and used to to produce a vinyl record, the replay would sound identical to the CD.

Most probably. They often use CD's as a source when cutting vinyl, though:

http://www.rickermaster.com/PriceServ.htm

I use an Edirol R1 as AD and recorder when transferring LP's to digital. I would even say the recording is slightly better than the source as you get rid of feedback in the turntable.

Most of the times the good old LP beats the CD when it comes to SQ (IMHO). Don't know why.

JohanR

Me and my mate Jeff were having a bit of a listening sesh the other night and he says " sounds like there's some fluff on your stylus ", " No it's a cd " says I :D

I find the cd and the vinyl sounds different, neither is necessarily better. However the vinyl of the Roseland NYC album is simply sublime.
Thanks for the tip. Portishead tends to be orchestral so a live performance with orchestra is just great. How did I miss this? Also, this live performance includes my favourites off both studio albums (which I can't digest in their entirety!)

Hot tip: the DVD has more tracks and the audio is noticeably less dynamically compressed than the CD. I have ripped the audio off the DVD and I won't touch the CD again, the DVD is way better IMO! Regards, Darren

PS: This is not a comment on the CD format...if I convert the DVD lossless rip into MP3 it is better than than the CD too. The difference is down to mastering apparently.

advertisement

Back