advertisement

Old Thrash Metal albums

People do mean slightly different things by "thrash" though - witness Tony's Napalm Death reference, Electro Hippies, etc; John Peel's more challenging material from the mid eighties - but not really appealing to your average metal head. When I was a lad people used to refer to Big Black or the Jesus Lizard as "thrash" for example, even though they come from quite a different place.

Peel is my connection to it for sure. I never had any time for ‘80s ‘hair metal’, NWOBHM etc. Not my thing. Napalm Death, Electro Hippies, Bolt Thrower, Godflesh etc were something different to me and came to my attention via Peel. I’d never have classed Big Black, Jesus Lizard etc as anywhere near that, they were US punk/hardcore and sat far closer to Black Flag, Hüsker Dü, Minutemen, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr etc. That was far more my area and there is a fair chunk in my record collection, yet I have next to nothing one could describe as metal. Even though it started it all I’d not personally describe the first Black Sabbath album as metal, so I maybe have nothing at all!

I have to admit to a soft spot for Nuclear Assault. People do mean slightly different things by "thrash" though - witness Tony's Napalm Death reference, Electro Hippies, etc; John Peel's more challenging material from the mid eighties - but not really appealing to your average metal head. When I was a lad people used to refer to Big Black or the Jesus Lizard as "thrash" for example, even though they come from quite a different place.
Napalm Death and Electro Hippies were all 'UK Hardcore' (UKHC) when I were a lad.

I honestly think the classic Dorrian/Steer line-up of Napalm Death recorded some of the best music of the 20th century. They didn't invent that style of playing but they perfected it and there's a purity of sound and purpose to those early records that the later stuff doesn't have, good as the later records are.

Years ago I got chatting to Lee Dorrian about records at a friends barbecue and he told me he was flogging his rare Metallica bootlegs for £££ and using the money to pick up original pressings of classic rock.

Fast forward and here he is meeting the Vinyl Hunters in his Rise Above shop in Highgate : )

Napalm Death and Electro Hippies were all 'UK Hardcore' (UKHC) when I were a lad.

I honestly think the classic Dorrian/Steer line-up of Napalm Death recorded some of the best music of the 20th century. They didn't invent that style of playing but they perfected it and there's a purity of sound and purpose to those early records that the later stuff doesn't have, good as the later records are.

Years ago I got chatting to Lee Dorrian about records at a friends barbecue and he told me he was flogging his rare Metallica bootlegs for £££ and using the money to pick up original pressings of classic rock.

Fast forward and here he is meeting the Vinyl Hunters in his Rise Above shop in Highgate : )

Lee has been known to DJ at my mate’s psyche nights. His shop is amazing. Splendid chap by all accounts.

I'm not really surprised, alot of the Thrash metal 12"s , picture discs and some LPs were quite sought after and collectible at the time of release, perhaps because they were pressed in small nos?

Point of order, chaps.

Napalm Death, Saw Throat, Electro Hippies etc were "Grindcore", many were on the Earache label that gave us this classic:
LTkzMjguanBlZw.jpeg

(Try finding one for £2.99 now).

"Thrash" was a US thing: Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, Sepultura, Tankard and the like.

Thrash metal was never my thing - I much preferred the punk / skate / thrash crossover of bands like Suicidal Tendencies and S.O.D.

Point of order, chaps.

Napalm Death, Saw Throat, Electro Hippies etc were "Grindcore", many were on the Earache label that gave us this classic:
LTkzMjguanBlZw.jpeg

"Thrash" was a US thing: Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, Sepultura, Tankard and the like.

Thrash metal was never my thing - I much preferred the punk / skate / thrash crossover of bands like Suicidal Tendencies and S.O.D.
Yeah but before it was grindcore it was all just hardcore : )

OS5qcGVn.jpeg

I've still got my copy of Grindcrusher (and a test pressing of Grindcrusher II). From memory the Grindcrusher tour featured Morbid Angel who are about as death metal as is possible. So a broad (Satanic) church : )

P.S. I was obsessed with the SOD record. Still sounds fantastic but hasn't dated so well lyrically.... and we all know what happened later with Billy Milano and MOD.

I loved that S.O.D record too, I'm gutted I missed them when they did a one-off in Copenhagen at a beer hall near where a friend of mine lives.
Basically anything involving Dan Lilker is gonna kick ass.

ok, for the pedants it's not the original lineup, but Dan is there :)

LTkzMjguanBlZw.jpeg

I had that, bought new, flogged it when it got to about £35 IIRC.

I was never a fan back in the day, but I’m finding Metallica a lot more listenable than I expected. Orion from that record through 900w of class D and Kef 104/2s is biblical.
Orion and Sanitarium are epic listens. Orion is one of the few (only?) metal instrumentals that I rate as high as the songs. The one on Ride the Lightning was pretty good IIRC.

I remember when my next door neighbour lent me his MoP album as I was into Iron Maiden and initially when I dropped the needle I thought it was a bit of a joke as I hadn't heard thrash before and Battery was just so much harder than anything I'd heard before . After a few listens I was hooked.

I have Nuclear Assaults Survive on picture disc and always intended to replace it (it sounds a bit noisy/wooshy from memory, although there's every chance it could be warped).
I don't think I'll be spending £70 for the UK first press or £130 for the US one 😮.

Mint US copy with insert and OIS in this pile. Oddly, this sounds nothing like as extreme to my ears as it did when this stuff was just coming out. I guess hours of Shellac, Lard, Killdozer, Naked City et al in the intervening years have seen to that.

IMG-1078.jpg

The others are all first UK pressings:

IMG-1079.jpg

advertisement

Back