advertisement

Old Skateboarders...

Thanks for the links. I had a look through the Skateboarder archive a few years ago, though they seemed to have removed the the page zoom feature. Skateboarder was such a well designed magazine - still looks fresh. Our little clan got a letter published in Skateboard!

Would be nice to see some pics of what you have. The original Warptail was solid oak - I have an early version of the Warptail 2 which is a laminate construction. Must admit I'd love to own an early Z-Flex!

53615646637_2ab0138a18_b.jpg

It doesn’t have a Stacy Peralta sticker on the top (I grip-taped it, it is just wood underneath, no branding):

53616969035_6ab3ffb293_b.jpg

Clearly a G&S though! The odd thing is it is so tiny, it measures about 24.75”. Looking at old Skateboard! magazines on line I can find reference to a a 25” Warptail in an ad, so it may well be. It is not well drilled, whilst the holes are in-line and parallel it is offset at the back about 5mm to one side. It may well have been a reject. I paid very little for it, about £25-30 IIRC, which is nothing compared to what a NOS Warptail deck would usually make (add a zero at least!). It’s a cute little display board though, not that I have anywhere to put it (I have the Taper Pro and RMI pictured at the front of the thread on show).

The solid wood decks weighed a ton, the ply/laminate could be made lighter/stronger (and cheaper I guess)

I had an Oak Logan Earth Ski and it was awful. No flex so it made pumping etc. harder and Carving is not much fun on a solid deck - the flex in the deck really makes a difference.

I agree. I had a little yellow fibreglass Pacer deck which had a lot of spring to it. I’d have preferred it to be longer (it was about 24” IIRC), but I much preferred it to friend’s wood decks. My ideal deck would have been a 27-29” G&S Fibreflex. That lined up with what I wanted to do, which was just hacking around streets, parks and any irresponsible downhill within reach (there were no pools or pipes nearby, and I very much doubt I’d have had the skills had there been). That little Pacer ended up with ACS 580s and 70mm green Kryptonics. It really shifted!

The last deck design I remember appearing was the ‘rocker’, kind of a curved ply deck with wheel-wells and I guess the precursor of the modern double-kick boards. It was barely different front end to back. A friend had one and I really liked it. Heavier and totally rigid compared to my little fibreglass board, but the shape opened up so many possibilities.

The evolution of skateboard design is fascinating. I totally understand why new decks look as they do, that is a way more logical design, but I really don’t understand the tiny rock-hard wheels. On the flat they seem so noisy, rattly and slow compared to say 70mm Kryps or whatever of my era.

The Warptails I’ve seen have all been (I assume factory) grip-taped with a rectangular slot in the grip for the top logo. This one wasn’t, nothing on top at all, so whilst clearly being a fairly early G&S it may well not be a Warptail. I don’t know enough about G&S history to nail it down any further. So much of this era is lost to time.

PS If anyone has a nice pair of fairly shallow era-correct old-school riser pads knocking around please let me know. The ones I’d ordered were mis-advertised and are way too thick at 13mm. Ideally I’d like 5-6mm, that would look right IMO.

The last deck design I remember appearing was the ‘rocker’, kind of a curved ply deck with wheel-wells and I guess the precursor of the modern double-kick boards

I had a wooden ply Rocker with the wheel wells. It was beautiful for cruising. it has a nice finish as well.

The modern shape is usually called Popsicle due to the shape representing an ice-lolly stick by the way.

There were double Kick boards in the 70’s, a classic being the polypropylene ‘Coyote’
- there was also a double-kick aluminium deck which was an ankle killer.

The transitional period between shaped Skateboards and Popsicle Decks is really interesting - I think it changed as the tricks became so advanced that the skateboard needed to work the same whether ridden forwards or backwards.
Street skating and skating Switch (backwards is what it feel like - all skaters have a natural stance Regular or Goofy. - so Switch is the opposite way to what feels natural. ) meant you were restricted unless the Nose was as long as the Tail. (some Freestylers would argue that they were there years before the rest of us..)

deleted last post as mixed up skateboarding with BMX, anyway too much of a coward to do either but really enjoy watching both sports.

A shot of me and my bestie during our rollerskates phase - we took ice hockey boots, took the blades off, and I had ACS baseplates, mate had ACS 430’s and 70mm red Kryptonics on his.
The Rollerskating didn’t last long as skateboarding was already in our genes - ramp skating on rollerskates was boring /too easy compared to a Skateboard.

This photo of us is about 1979-80

IMG-1744.jpg

advertisement

Back