advertisement

Old Skateboarders...

I think it's the speed that freaks people out. Once you get your head around that, and the drop-in - I think you're right.
Got me some big Pro-Design knee pads too ! Big confidence booster.

;)
Hip-pads… made a big difference when I was ramp riding!

It was the height on a big halfpipe that would freak me, not the speed.

I recall a sponsored halfpipe tour that came to our town. The rickety but massive halfpipe was constructed outside and locals invited to ‘have a go.’ Neil ‘DanZ’ Danns was the old Pro touring with the demo. Neil had a laugh with me as I was daunted by how windy it was standing on the platform. (when I say daunted, I was shitting my pants when it came to dropping in on that ramp)

The huge halfpipe at Southsea scared me. The large halfpipe at Derby Storm gave me the black eye… The A45 Cafe Ramp (mid-1980’s) was were I snapped my ankle.

If I could do anything that old Sean Goff is still banging out on the Vert, I would be a happy man.

AntiHero and Scotland skate punk antics - raw skating as it should

Brilliant! Nice to see Glasgow getting some screen time.

Random thought: If only someone could invent a skateboard wheel with the same rolling resistance as a 26" bicycle wheel. Would need some kind of quantum bollox though?

Last edited:
Brilliant! Nice to see Glasgow getting some screen time.

Random thought: If only someone could invent a skateboard wheel with the same rolling resistance as a 26" bicycle wheel. Would need some kind of quantum bollox though?

There are all terrain boards, a bit like a snowboard with large wheels. Usually they are strapped/clipped to boots/shoes so if you slam then there is a high chance of ankle snapping etc. I had a go years ago and it was cumbersome compared to a skateboard.

Is that the sort of thing you meant?

Mountain_Board_MBS_Downhill_All_Terrain_Skateboard_Longboard_Maple_Deck_Trucks_01_grvg.jpg

a regular downhill skateboard is good for 50 mph ++ with decent wheels /bearings.
I always wanted a downhill luge type feet first laying down type board, they used to allow them on Cadwell Park motor racing circuit years ago. Don’t know about now.
I think there is a downhill speed skateboarder on pfm, probably on this thread somewhere.

Those wheels would ride smooth, but yes, I can see the size & weight & height would be a problem. Being strapped in? nein danke!

I always got my biggest kicks getting Air on a big vertical ramp/halfpipe. The all-terrain stuff didn’t interest me.

After watching the video a few posts upthread YouTube insisted I watch this:

It is an interesting overview of techniques, tricks etc that simply didn’t exist in my (1970s) time. Just a whole new world. Very different to the primitive stuff I was capable of (a couple of simple flat tricks and hurtling irresponsibly down hills).

PS I’m actually in the process of sticking another display board together out of bits I’ve had knocking around for many, many years and I’d almost forgotten about. I bought some stuff as investments about 20 years ago whenever I saw anything NOS real cheap as I sensed the price was on the way up. The two boards pictured way back upthread being examples. This one is a tiny little (barely 25”) wood G&S, I think a first version Warptail, but it hasn’t the top sticker, ACS 500 trucks and green Tunnel Rock wheels will complete it. Just waiting for some riser pads to turn up. Makes sense to stick it together as it was drilled (rather badly) than just have random parts knocking around for no reason. I’ve got a couple more undrilled decks, the nicest being a Makaha, but they can stay that way. I’ll post a pic when its done.

Rodney Mullen is the living god on earth.

He’s a pretty serious hi-fi geek too by the looks of it too! YouTube burped this up for me:

Rodney Mullen is interviewed at several times during the video sitting next to a B&W 801 Nautilus.

After watching the video a few posts upthread YouTube insisted I watch this:

It is an interesting overview of techniques, tricks etc that simply didn’t exist in my (1970s) time. Just a whole new world. Very different to the primitive stuff I was capable of (a couple of simple flat tricks and hurtling irresponsibly down hills).

PS I’m actually in the process of sticking another display board together out of bits I’ve had knocking around for many, many years and I’d almost forgotten about. I bought some stuff as investments about 20 years ago whenever I saw anything NOS real cheap as I sensed the price was on the way up. The two boards pictured way back upthread being examples. This one is a tiny little (barely 25”) wood G&S, I think a first version Warptail, but it hasn’t the top sticker, ACS 500 trucks and green Tunnel Rock wheels will complete it. Just waiting for some riser pads to turn up. Makes sense to stick it together as it was drilled (rather badly) than just have random parts knocking around for no reason. I’ve got a couple more undrilled decks, the nicest being a Makaha, but they can stay that way. I’ll post a pic when its done.

Would be nice to see some pics of what you have. The original Warptail was solid oak - I have an early version of the Warptail 2 which is a laminate construction. Must admit I'd love to own an early Z-Flex!

Would be nice to see some pics of what you have. The original Warptail was solid oak - I have an early version of the Warptail 2 which is a laminate construction. Must admit I'd love to own an early Z-Flex!

The solid wood decks weighed a ton, the ply/laminate could be made lighter/stronger (and cheaper I guess)

I had an Oak Logan Earth Ski and it was awful. No flex so it made pumping etc. harder and Carving is not much fun on a solid deck - the flex in the deck really makes a difference.

Good piece on the history of RAD U.K. skateboard magazine.
I interviewed Tim Leighton-Boyce (The Man behind BMX Action/RAD)in the 1980’s for my skate fanzine that I published. Great bloke - he took some great photographs as well. I have loads of those magazines and Skate SK8 Action mag etc.

advertisement

Back