advertisement

Old Skateboarders...

I received a Deathbox Danny Webster deck with Deathbox Dodo wheels for my 12th birthday, back in 1991. I’m told it would be a valuable deck nowadays if it hadn’t got smashed to bits by a lorry on the main road when I fell off it!

Yes. Old decks etc. can be worth a bomb. Some decks into the hundreds, same with wheels, trucks like old gullwings.

I knew Jeremy Fox (Deathbox) for a while. (I didn't like him much) He was enthusiastic though. Also met Danny Webster a few times, although I didn't like his style. (he came over all rockstar skater)
Skated with Pete Dossett, Alex Moul and Paul 'Rocker' Robson (Deathbox) a bit, both very tech vert. Alex was a natural, great style. His melons were very tweaked.

I was flowed a Wurzel Deathbox deck, it had mad angled nose and tail, so when ollied the pop came late as the tail was so steep. I made my first sad ollie on that deck :) Was the Webster the same?

Just had a look at one of the ‘77 ones, I remember all those adverts for wheels, trucks, decks etc! That’s definitely my ‘era’.

I started skating in '78, aged 29, made decks for shops in London and Bolton (I lived in Manchester), rode bowls in various places. Came down on my back from about 10 feet up (got too many wheels out at the top of a bowl) and had back problems for years. Osteopath/chiropractor/exercise sorted it eventually. Took up longboarding when I moved to Plymouth in '06 and still going (slowly!) at 71. Knees and particularly wrists are knackered. I also fall off motorbikes, did my last trackday last year.
This picture is from about 10 years ago, on Lake Como.
50140276192_c9d27b0cbe.jpg

Yes. Old decks etc. can be worth a bomb. Some decks into the hundreds, same with wheels, trucks like old gullwings.

I knew Jeremy Fox (Deathbox) for a while. (I didn't like him much) He was enthusiastic though. Also met Danny Webster a few times, although I didn't like his style. (he came over all rockstar skater)
Skated with Pete Dossett, Alex Moul and Paul 'Rocker' Robson (Deathbox) a bit, both very tech vert. Alex was a natural, great style. His melons were very tweaked.

I was flowed a Wurzel Deathbox deck, it had mad angled nose and tail, so when ollied the pop came late as the tail was so steep. I made my first sad ollie on that deck :) Was the Webster the same?

A few years ago out of nostalgia I searched for the Webster deck and couldn’t find any images anywhere of it, but I did find out later that one had sold for over £500 on eBay! I do remember it had a very steep nose and concave (submarine concave I think it was called?)

It replaced a World Industries Jesse Martinez jailed robot deck which ironically looking back was actually a newer design than the Deathbox!

A few years ago out of nostalgia I searched for the Webster deck and couldn’t find any images anywhere of it, but I did find out later that one had sold for over £500 on eBay! I do remember it had a very steep nose and concave (submarine concave I think it was called?)

It replaced a World Industries Jesse Martinez jailed robot deck which ironically looking back was actually a newer design than the Deathbox!

I interviewed Jesse Martinez in about 1990.

He was quite a character! He also did a line before he hit the ramp. Ahem. Sniff Ahem.

He did one of the sweetest (and biggest) ollie staleFish that I have ever seen.

From Venice beach L.A. like one of my favourite skaters Eric Dressen. Rough area. Rough crowd.

Very interesting horn speakers on the top level of the skate ramps, look like some Altec/La Scala type mutant. Cool house! I like it!

Very interesting horn speakers on the top level of the skate ramps, look like some Altec/La Scala type mutant. Cool house! I like it!

Shockingly bad 'speaker placement seen in photo 11 and somebody even pushed the woofer centre in (photo 10). Not sure what the 'speakers are though...

Just found this thread, great to see some old skaters on here. I'm an old Nottingham local, virtually lived at Broadmarsh banks from the mid 80s to late 90s. Very rarely skate these days after breaking my leg back in 2015.

I do stay in touch with it though and collect old school decks, which is a fun but bloody expensive hobby! Here's a few pics to jog some memories I'm sure you guys will enjoy :)

VMZNaUd.jpg

8kuSC6V.jpg

xcwlyq6.jpg

8tnprTP.jpg

Just found this thread, great to see some old skaters on here. I'm an old Nottingham local, virtually lived at Broadmarsh banks from the mid 80s to late 90s. Very rarely skate these days after breaking my leg back in 2015.

I do stay in touch with it though and collect old school decks, which is a fun but bloody expensive hobby! Here's a few pics to jog some memories I'm sure you guys will enjoy :)

VMZNaUd.jpg

8kuSC6V.jpg

xcwlyq6.jpg

8tnprTP.jpg

...excellent.
expensive hobby, and that is some collection :)

I’ll have the Ray Barbee, H-Street Matt Hensley and the Grosso :D

impressive deckage.

advertisement

Back