advertisement

Old Skateboarders...

Wrong building! I just looked at Google maps and it's called the Stopford Building, next to the Holy Name church. They have put raised bricks on the ramp now. Was that my fault? 😁

I started skating in '78, aged 29, and only ever skated bowls and snake runs, Bolton being my nearest indoor park. Never did any tricks or downhill. I did make decks for some shops (Bolton and London) for a while, but got into motorbikes and basically stopped skating. I was never very good at it, managed two wheels out at the top of bowls and landed on the base of my spine when I went too high. Came to Plymouth and saw the longboarding scene (aged 59) and joined in. Not very active now, but if the grandsons start I will go again. But I will have to be careful, as my bones break easily now, and as my wife's carer I can't afford to be out of action now.
EDIT. Oh, I did use the "ramp" under the windows at the computing centre on Oxford Road, until I was chased off by security. :cool: 😁

It is fantastically dangerous I think.
Broken wrist, ankle, collarbone or hip are all just a matchstick away.

”chased off by Security,” was a common theme when skateboarding. Happened a lot. Or the Police getting heavy. Happened weekly almost in the lean years.
Nottingham city centre was a negative space for many years. Slab Square was damn good fun to skate though!
it became more unpopl when tricks advanced and benches, step, handrails, any slight transition became an enabling environment for the creative Skater.

”chased off by Security,” was a common theme when skateboarding. Happened a lot. Or the Police getting heavy.
I got shouted at by the police in Menaggio, Lake Como, for skating on the road a while back.
0005640144_20.jpg

Those PowerPaw SpeedSprings are not something one sees every day! Probably worth a few quid now too. Never saw a pair in the wild, but remember reading about them. What was your logic in moving the front truck back so far?

Thought I’d dig out my old board, not that I could really do much on it..

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/

It was longer with different trucks, maybe Gullwings? I stupidly cut it shorter and changed to SpeedSpring freestyle trucks. Original Kryptonite wheels.

Looks like a Gordon & Smith FibreFlex maybe? super nice 3 ply sandwiched in fibreglass I think. Quite light and expensive at the time.

Do those wheels rub out when you make a tight turn? I would stick some riser pads under those trucks maybe? it depends how you like the set up.
turning must be fab with the short wheelbase. nippy

Ace second gen red Kryptonics wheels. I have a 70mm set in red. 78a I think. lovely.

edit: deffo a G&S as the brand sticker logo is under the front truck - covered when going for more nose.

2nd edit- a few hundred quid there …

A G&S Fibreflex is the board I always wanted. I had a little yellow Pacer which was kind of similar, but a bit too short even at the age I was. I loved the spring/flex though and far preferred it to the rock hard wood boards of the era. Far better for carving etc.

Back in the day all we did was go down my steepish street and do 360 spins..
My local shop did part ex and I was tempted by the Speedsprings - much shorter axles.
It had the Fibreflex sticker on it originally and I cut it for doing tricks.
Really wish I hadn’t now.
Can’t remember the wheels rubbing but then I wasn’t doing tight turns.
It scares me if I try it now!

Just bought this on Gumtree for £40. 38", bamboo, made in China, apparently it cost £150. I have changed the bushings for a soft set, so better for carving, hopefully. Awaiting some trucks and wheels for my other deck, so I will then have 3 extra boards, for 2 grandsons and one girlfriend. Not mine, I should add!
53811218160_0c4aeed24c_c.jpg

advertisement

Back