advertisement

Old Rega Planar 2 or Project 2 Turntable - which one?

Why ask about other TTs when you have that beauty in the Loft ?

OK, the Rega does sound better but for looks and pride of ownership, the Ref Hydraulic is in a different league to just about everything.

"No" - I've just found out in fact the opposite is true! The Michelle is significantly better than the Rega Planar 2!! Apparently even a modded and finely tuned Rega Planar 2 can only hope to achieve up to the same level of quality against a "standard" Ref Hydraulic. So not only is it a looker - it can sing too :)

Good to hear. I forgot to add though, I've got a good condition Michelle Hydraulic Reference in the loft - perhaps if I am give digital stiff competition I should be hooking that up instead. Why did I forget that? I even have pictures of it somewhere for when I was considering selling it.

How on earth could you forget that? :eek:

Enjoy!

What arm does it have?

Just stick with that, spend the money of a bowler hat and some stick on eyelashes and mascara the mofo...

Oh and buy bleach...

They do protect the phenolic veneer the motor hangs from and might transmit a little less motor vibration, although I suspect they're most likely plastic (nylon?) to keep costs down. Given care, they can be easily replaced with durable steel or brass substitutes whose head slots and threads don't strip as readily.

The reason they're plastic isn't cost. It's to allow them to be tightened the correct amount without over-tightening, which strips the thread on a more expensive part. Cheaper for the customer to replace the screws than what they screw into!

Also, protection against transit damage. If the deck was thrown around during delivery, the screws would snap before the Phenolic veneer could be damaged.

As it's an older Rega, keep it and breathe on it. The Project is fine but there is less you can do to them so ultimately has less potential.

I love the old wood framed Rega 2s and in some ways prefer the sound of the S shaped R200 arm on them to the subsequent more correct sound of the straight arm designs. However I'd caution that the external cable is prone to age related failure, I've just repaired one for a friend and due to the interface between the internal and external cable it was a fiddly job.

advertisement

Back