advertisement

Old Lenses Never Die...Still Capture Sunlight...

Locheeboy

pfm Member
Sony A700 DSLR / HELIOS 44 Silver- f2/58mm. (Russian Biotar)...a set...

DSC2167.jpg

DSC2208.jpg

DSC2210.jpg

DSC04282-ARW.jpg

DSC04301-ARW.jpg

DSC07923.jpg

Love the photos. I had a Helios 58mm/f2 lens 50 odd years ago. It was attached to a Zenith E, my first SLR camera which I bought while I was in college.

I had one on a Fed 4 or Fed 3, around 1964. I've still got the 85mm Jupiter version, with the Leica 39mm screw mount, knocking around somewhere.
Nothing wrong with old lenses, and these were considered not excellent in their day. If you look at photos taken with a Tessar or Planar in the '50s and '60s.......

DSCF3481.jpg

This camera/lens cost me around £28 , 35-40 years ago. It's the copy of the Helios's silver copy, of the original Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar, which I have. The black version is Russian made from the schematics/documents taken from CZJ'S factories in Germany after WW2. The original (silver) Helios was made with 13 shutter blades and some were made with original parts from Germany. My silver Helios has 13 blades and probably some German parts. The number of shutter blades shows that they are genuine Ah have another 4 Helios lenses, 2 (x2)-3-4 , these have 9 shutter blades . These were cheap, all around £20-30 (at the time) very well built...but heavy , as are the cameras. The silver Helios was NOT cheap being a much higher quality. All Russian lenses are well-made but have a reputation ( like the Chinese) for low quality...unfounded 'til at least Glasnost.

This is the silver-bodied Helios...

DSCF1823.jpg

I'd like to see classic lens designs like the above reintroduced. I have more respect for older, simpler lenses (e.g. even standard early EF) than some modern ones I've used (e.g later EF & EF-S). I find modern zooms especially frustrating. Oh the sharpness & contrast & stuff is right there, yet they're compromised by a certain sterility, slow apertures, & often sample variation (decentering - which I detest - is common). The fastest are huge, heavy, & expensive. I find bokeh tending towards the weird. Whether all this is a result of complex aspherical designs &/or image stabilization, I don't know. To me it's like audio gear: the more euphonic & slightly blurred yet more musically coherent vs more precisely-spec'd gear that is ultimately tiring to listen to.

I'd like to see classic lens designs like the above reintroduced. I have more respect for older, simpler lenses (e.g. even standard early EF) than some modern ones I've used (e.g later EF & EF-S). I find modern zooms especially frustrating. Oh the sharpness & contrast & stuff is right there, yet they're compromised by a certain sterility, slow apertures, & often sample variation (decentering - which I detest - is common). The fastest are huge, heavy, & expensive. I find bokeh tending towards the weird. Whether all this is a result of complex aspherical designs &/or image stabilization, I don't know. To me it's like audio gear: the more euphonic & slightly blurred yet more musically coherent vs more precisely-spec'd gear that is ultimately tiring to listen to.
Are you aware of ‘The light lens lab’ a Chinese venture recreating classic lenses:

From what I’ve read in reviews they seem pretty damn good!

Are you aware of ‘The light lens lab’ a Chinese venture recreating classic lenses:

From what I’ve read in reviews they seem pretty damn good!
No, I wasn't aware of these. Nice!

I have a Nokon Nokkor 50m f1.4 from 1974 it’s a very nice lens, lovely creamy bokeh.

Pete

This thread is making me want to peruse the classifieds and see what might be out there. I have never played with vintage lenses, but think that there might be a world of relatively cheap fun waiting out there!

This thread is making me want to peruse the classifieds and see what might be out there. I have never played with vintage lenses, but think that there might be a world of relatively cheap fun waiting out there!

There are so many lenses to choose from, and with mirrorless (and the cameras' short flange distance c/w DSLR) the availability of adapters means there's much to explore.

K&F and Fotodiox tend to be pretty good quality-wise and are keenly priced too. It's also possible to use M42 screw mount glass on Canon EF mount. Taken with my old Canon 5D with the Helios 44M...

Helios pop by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

advertisement

Back