advertisement

Old laptop

Can't see how to do that. I have the UEFI or Legacy boot order with the UEFI set to 'OS boot Manager' but it will always boot into W10 without prompt unless I [Esc] out and select further boot options.
I really want to be prompted to select the OS when the machine starts, rather than selecting a default and having to interrupt it if I want the other one. When I did this with Ubuntu / W95 years ago I'm pretty sure I edited the bootloader config, or something, but that doesn't seem to be the way it works anymore :)

If your hope is to choose between on each startup then what you are doing is correct and sadly I do find HPs very finisky on start up when trying to get to bios etc, Dell is much nicer in that regard. Apple offered a way to boot into a specific OS (windows or mac) from within what ever OS you were currently in which is nice.

Yeah this HP laptop sure makes life trickier than I feel it ought to be, but I'm only messing around with a couple of old laptops my kids have abandoned so it's not the end of the world (I have legacy mode enabled as otherwise you can't boot into Linux at all).

The other laptop was a Toshiba that the original hdd died so I'd stuck another in and originally installed Ubuntu 14.x a couple of years or more ago but for no particular reason changed that to Mint a couple of days ago. Both machines have 2 core AMD CPU's with 6 or 8 GB of memory and work really well under Mint, being immersed in Windows through work I'd kinda forgotten how nice these sort of OS are.

Anyway, I've probably hijacked this thread enough, I'll shut up now :)

advertisement

Back