advertisement

Old Kit Bag - Richard Thompson

Andrew C!

Been around a while....
Hi,
As a result of JonR's recent visit and this being one of the LP's he brought with him, I've purchased the CD, and its a definate grower.

Being new to Thompson, I'm not sure what else to investigate, so what dou you suggest?

andy c!

Andy,

JonR is obviously a man of impeccable taste.

The short answer is everything.

His latest, and very recent release is Front Parlour Ballads - solo acoustic and wonderful stuff (the track Let It Blow will stay in your mind for days!)

After that I suggest that you work backwards: Mock Tudor, You! Me! Us!, Mirror Blue, Rumor (sic) & Sigh, etc. There have been others in between these but try these first and then fill in with the others if Rumor & Sigh doesn’t frighten you off ;-)

There is also a lot of excellent live albums too; try these (in reverse chronological order) - Live from Austin, TX, Semi-Detached Mock Tudor, Small Town Romance, etc. Once again, there are others but start with these. The best of the live albums, for me anyway, is called Celtschmertz, which has I think now been deleted – track this down, it’s awesome.

The Live From Providence DVD is good viewing too.

Then of course there’s the Richard & Linda Thompson albums, oh, and then the Fairport Convention stuff……………….

Some of RT’s work takes a while to really get in to but it’s so worth the effort.

Let me know if you want any other info.

ss

Andrew C! said:
Hi,
As a result of JonR's recent visit and this being one of the LP's he brought with him, I've purchased the CD, and its a definate grower.

Being new to Thompson, I'm not sure what else to investigate, so what dou you suggest?

andy c!

My personal route into RT (& Fairport) was via the Richard & Linda compilation "End of the Rainbow". I picked it up in Fopp in Edinburgh for £5, and it was the best fiver I've ever spent.
Gary

I've always had difficulty with Richard Thompson.
A truly great guitarist, but when he sings, I mostly hate it.
Having said that, I saw him in concert many hears ago, might've been "Shoot Out The Lights" (but Linda wasn't there) and it was a hoot!

His voice does sound like someone kicked him in the throat and he has trouble hitting some of the notes, but I like it. A cross between Willie Nelson and Clive Gregson with a pinch of Al Stewart and Ryan Adams thrown in for good measure.

Regards,

Mus

But imagine a band with him as guitarist, and with a really good singer.
He did a fabulous solo on one track on a Crowded House album.

(Same applies to Knopfler & Rea IMHO.)

Richard Thompson is appearing on tonights Folk on 2, (8.00pm Radio 2).
At Fairport Cropredy festival he did an acoustic set with Danny Thompson on the Friday night and an electric spot with Fairport on the Saturday. He played Let it Blow twice, I prefered the electric version, but both sets were excellent.
Front Palour Ballads is due out on vinyl mid Sep.
Regards Richard Higgins

If you like OKB, can I recommend Mock Tudor, the album before OKB? Also, it's I can't recommend Shoot Out The Lights highly enough. The Guitar of RT is beyond critique, but The Voice eventually wins you over, given the chance. I used to really dislike his singing, but now I really rate it, in a curious, home-counties, cricket-and-long-summers kind of a way.

John

PS. OKB and FPB are out on vinyl, too. Not decided if I can justify FPB on vinyl, having got the CD already, but I probably will...

JTC said:
PS. OKB and FPB are out on vinyl, too. Not decided if I can justify FPB on vinyl, having got the CD already, but I probably will...

Hesitate no more! Diverse have done an excellent job with the vinyl release, as they did with OKB.

ss

advertisement

Back