advertisement

Old Jecklin floats after a tidy up

Tanais - I am utterly confused as to what you are doing with these headphones. You listed them for sale on Ebay then withdrew them with the comment "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available" at 21.40 last night. Today you tell us about the restoration and that you purchased the Jecklins for £60 which you then listed at £120 on Ebay (not unreasonable given the effort you put in). So why the u-turn?

V. Cool. Certainly a lot less dorky and much more techno than most headphones. I wouldn't mind a pair, if you ever want to make your DIY jobbies and sell these on...
My only tip is to use headphones as sparingly as possible for work.

The U turn was because they were initially horrid muddy and imprecise. A driver perished through age and the other was going that way so replaced with NOS ones I got in December (£25 quid ea.) -- seller warned me it was in a pretty rural state so I sourced spares -- just in case.

Fitted and they improved a lot... but no bass... good mids and treble rolled off -- airy and relaxing -- but bass is my lifeblood so not my cuppa... someone suggested I use a headphone amp which I had -- inside the MOTU and they opened up... Airy became precise, Bass improved. Then the drivers relaxed after a day of mixing my next set of sounds and the bass suddenly came back in spades. I realised I'd be mad to sell them (had a bad patch with gadgets and got into a funk I forgot you need to put effort into restoring anything). Thus ad pulled.

I still use my dad's electrostats but these are comfy and "right sounding" for long binaural mixes. I am considering Float Electrostats and start a sort of pervy eargasmic harem.

The MOTU Ultralite has a classy set of headphone preamps so an Audiophile no holds barred headphone amp powered by a spare pair of rails from my DIY/Epona Prefix PSU should really kick it up further.

Its a keeper so here it is, pimped up. Clear as mud, m'lud?

fox,

You must also have this — the Lobot USB stick.

Mimoco-Lobot-Mimobot.jpg

Pull out that stick at a gig and the chixors will be lining up to have your children.

Joe

Whoah! I better spruce myself up, those guys are way cooler than me...

5499637526_d400fdf12a_z.jpg

PS Joe what's that up Lobot's bum and where can I get me one?

fox,

Is that a bass in the background or Vera from Firefly?

Joe

P.S. A Lobot USB stick or bum plug?

Joe, thats my baby that is, my NS Design CR4M... Shiny. Let's be bad guys.
PS That grey thinggamma shoved up hi' ass! I think the guy on the right is wearing one.

fox,

A cork should do what you're after, unless you want something fancy with a cord.

Wine-Cork-USB-flash-drive.jpg

Can also store data if you need to download or log on.

Joe

Whoah! I better spruce myself up, those guys are way cooler than me...

5499637526_d400fdf12a_z.jpg

PS Joe what's that up Lobot's bum and where can I get me one?

I think that is the best photo ever published on PFM - esp with the image on the display in the background.

Oh - and well done with the refurb Mr fox.

Mr Tibbs

Thanks for the U-Turn explanation. This electrostaticky sound is V addictive. Can't afford floats so I have to live with my Wharfedale Isodynamic Mk 1's with sticky (!) pads. Mind you, saw a pair go on flea bay last week for over £70! (bought my first pair from Laskys for £20)

Thanks for the U-Turn explanation. This electrostaticky sound is V addictive. Can't afford floats so I have to live with my Wharfedale Isodynamic Mk 1's with sticky (!) pads. Mind you, saw a pair go on flea bay last week for over £70! (bought my first pair from Laskys for £20)

Make that £137.00 ! Another pair just sold for that!

Hi

I would be grateful for any help/advice in how best to repair my ailing Jecklin Float 2 Headphones.

I have recently brought the headphones down from the attic (they have been there for many, many years - they were bought from Selfridges for £44 (reduced from £89; the price tag is still on the side of the box!)) and they have suffered from the usual foam disintegration. This is most notably the case on the foam that covers the ear-panels (both on the outside and inside). In addition the transducers have come away from the metal panel and the metal panels are coming away from the headband. Not so good.

I have been in touch with Sugden and they will supply me with the replacement foam kit. What I was wondering was what sort of glue I should use to re-attach the panels to the headband and to attach the transducers to the metal panels? And any advice about how the foam is attached to the ear panels would also be great.

Apologies if I am using some incorrect terminology or confusing matters.

Many thanks.

For the transducers to the metal panels use hot glue gun to spot weld it to the panel
same for the foam. Use sparingly.

I think that is the best photo ever published on PFM - esp with the image on the display in the background.

as the pfm authority on this subject matter, let me say that's it's one of the best photos published anywhere in the past quarter decade.

vuk.

p.s. waiting by mailbox for new razor.

advertisement

Back