advertisement

Old fogeydom is comfortable.

Paul R

pfm Member
A few weeks ago on a forum far away and completely unrelated a pair of Quad ESL63s were offered. 'Sold as seen', a bit broken etc.

Anyway I answered the call and for a rather small amount of money became the owner.

Examination showed that a couple of the input sockets were damaged and that the EHT appeared low. Both speakers worked but not very loudly at all, and with the balance control needing to be cranked half way over towards the most pathetic.

Two new EHT units later (they may be repairable, but new ones are about £65 each and the voltages are so high that I didn't want to take chances with sparks and other excitements the first damp day of autumn) full service appears to have been restored.

The reputation of the ESL63 is that it doesn't go loud and the bass is limited. Well, this is true, but...

I can easily do a measured 90-95dBA at the listening position. This is 'loud' but doesn't sound it. They don't do 'stunt' bass but you can follow bass lines. Drums work well. The sofa shakes. The Rage Against the Machine test follows later...

I'm being fitted for slippers later, the pipe catalogues are in the post. Cone speakers suck. I'd like to hear a pair of current production ESL988 and especially ESL989.

Paul

Welcome to the club. Don't forget the elbow patches, but perhaps owners of those new-fangled 63's don't go for style.

Gradient have a sub that gives the homely old 63s a cool militaristic obelisk-like appearence.

sw63.jpg

Imposing, but I'd have a pair!

I really don't like the hybrid idea, especially with a speaker as well thought out as the ESL63. Better to acquire two pairs and DIY a 989.

Paul

The Quads sound as good from behind as in front, so they need some space. I simply retained the Briks as room treatment objects....

Paul

What? A room with Quad Electrostatics and 'Briks in it.
I remember a long time ago someone telling me that they'd been sent out of a listening room because they had a watch with a tiny speaker on it that would colour the sound!

IIRC, this was just another way to sell equipment but some dealers took it very, very seriously. It doesn't seem to matter any more, which is just as well as the manufacturers would never be able to sell surround systems. Have the designs changed; not really, just the sales technique.

Cynical? Me?

Mick

Extra speakers in a room matter, but not very much. I often have my laptop plugged into the same distribution as the hifi and a cordless telephone on the coffee table, it still plays music.

The Quads are very impractical in a living room. I don't see that I would be able to replace the relatively innocuous Briks. I'll keep them for a while to play with though.

Paul

Nice score Paul. I really like your description of how they sound. They do really play louder than most would think.

I just got a digital camera this weekend and I'm playing around with it today. Here's a shot of my pair in my living room. We have a family room that has the TV in it is so this room is kind of a music room with hi-fi, piano and records.

Enjoy the quads. :)

13884623-PICT0024.jpg
:

advertisement

Back