advertisement

Old Arcam Rescue

Whilst I can use a soldering iron, have a modicum of electronics knowledge and can rebuild things, I have a slight issue here in that I don't really know where to start.

I have a Arcam Delta 90 that needs some attention.

At low volumes, either channel can drop out. When you turn it up again the channel comes back to life. This becomes less of an issue if the amplifier has been on all day.

There's no hiss, clicks or other noise. When it works properly, it's rather lovely.

It's at least 30 years old so I'm guessing some of the caps are on their way out.

What would you advise an amateur to do? It's probably not worth paying for a professional service and repair. Are there things that I can or should do that might stand a chance of keeping it going? Are there usual suspects for the issue above? It would be a shame for it to die.

Thanks in advance!

The symptoms do look like a bad set of relay contacts.
If it is the relay, probably a lot cheaper and easier to find than a suitable volume pot these days

I'll second the speaker output relays as culprit. I've a Rega Elex clamshell here with the exact symptoms; works fine after a warmup.

Thank you for this everyone.

The pots don't crackle, but as soon as I find my switch cleaner, I'll make sure to clean them. It can't hurt.

The replay idea could fit. Given that it feels like it takes some oomph to get the sound to the speakers, oxidisation in the relays might the reason. Digi-key stock them at a fiver a piece.

All of the cap heads look flat and nothing looks tired inside. I'll have a go at the relays.

Hopefully I'll remember to let you and other delta90 DIYers how it goes, but either way, thank you all. And have an excellent weekend.

Er.. yes it can as it would remove any original lubricant.
If the volume is not crackling and feels smooth, leave it alone. Thanks to Alps and others discontinuing ranges, many spare pots are unobtanium these days

Er.. yes it can as it would remove any original lubricant.
If the volume is not crackling and feels smooth, leave it alone. Thanks to Alps and others discontinuing ranges, many spare pots are unobtanium these days
Agreed. I had a pot on something recently (can't remember what now for the life of me) but I sprayed a little WD40 inside and that cured it. Presumably dried-out lubricant film.
AP

I finally got round to looking at the amp.

Rather than splurge £26 on two relays from America, I pulled the relay cases off and ran the emery board utensil from a nearly worn our mini penknife between the contacts - and success. Reliable sound. I'll get some really fine wet and dry and give the contacts a proper polish, but it proved @davidsrsb quite correct.

Chapeau!

Thank you everyone for all your help.

Well done, although you should look out for spares.
I wonder what voltage appears on a relay speaker side when the contact opens while music is playing?
Switching something like 50V at 10A is a tough job for a relay, many are not really rated for the job.

advertisement

Back