advertisement

Old and new Mini next to each other

I've only ever seen one Bitter car in the metal, at the EC Motor show in, erm, maybe about 1980? It might have been a Bitter SC.

Three V E R Y good looking cars. So they are excused.
A lot of small volume manufacturers have used parts bin bits for things like tail lights, door handles, etc, as tooling up for them is disproportionately expensive. Aston Martin also used off the shelf tail lights for decades. The difference in the Lotus case is that the bits they used, Marina door handles, etc, were a bit flimsy and shit, having been designed and built by people who didn’t care about quality.

I've only ever seen one Bitter car in the metal, at the EC Motor show in, erm, maybe about 1980? It might have been a Bitter SC.

I think the Bitter was mostly an Opel Senator dressed up in fancy Italian sheet metal and leather?

I've only seen one as well, about 1990-ish. It belonged to the owner of a theater in Dallas where our band was playing.

A lot of small volume manufacturers have used parts bin bits for things like tail lights, door handles, etc, as tooling up for them is disproportionately expensive. Aston Martin also used off the shelf tail lights for decades. The difference in the Lotus case is that the bits they used, Marina door handles, etc, were a bit flimsy and shit, having been designed and built by people who didn’t care about quality.
Added to which Lotus had an awful reputation for quality.
Lots
Of
Trouble
Usually
Serious
For good reason. The Elan was an engine out job for propshaft UJs because there was no access to the shaft. Likewise the twin ca m water pump was a major stripdown, I think it was a head off job. No thanks.

I've just realised I dont have a photo, of any vehicle I've ever owned, but I do have all my motorbikes logged.

Thats me:)

Not my cars - but another illustration of how much things have grown:

35-burbank-parking-job-jpeg.1830400

advertisement

Back