advertisement

Old and new Mini next to each other

Having driven one a good deal, the first comment is undoubtedly true. However it did not have poor steering, as it had an unassisted rack and pinion arrangement. This was direct, free from play, and because the engine is at the back, light. The brakes were more than adequate for the car at hand, servo assisted disc front and drum rear were more than enough for a car weighing around 1 tonne and with a top speed of only 80 mph, and as good as other family cars of the time.
The handling though was bloody evil. Very sensitive to tyre pressures, and if you lifted off in a corner, God help you.
I don't remember mine as being particularly bad to drive (and I used to get to drive lots of cars in those days as I helped in my uncle's garage during the holidays) other than needing care not to spin it, as when the back came out it wasn't easy to catch. I think I only actually spun mine once though, on a motorway slip road in the wet. Managed to keep it on the tarmac though!

IMG-2610.jpg
Old blokes getting pedantic about mini/MINI. The MINI is just a modern interpretation of an old car. Safety standards mean they simply can’t make these things to be small! Fine from the front but they’ve ruined those rear light clusters.

And a class with nothing else competitive in it?
Skoda won many class championships and RAC rallies with the old rear engined cars back in the 80s, but for many of those wins they had very little competition.
This was when Sweden still was a big nation in Rallying (long before you had to have Sebastien in your name ;) ), so there where fierce competition. You can make a rally car out of anything, even a Lada.

A friend's dad had a series of Ladas, bought new and replaced every couple of years. Hateful things. I drove one of them once. At the time, my dad had a LWB diesel Transit van. The Lada was heavier and stodgier to drive than the Transit. And slower, which was remarkable as the Transit was built for heavy loads and had a very low final drive. It topped out at 60.
My dad also had Ladas in his older days (shamefully for me). Terrible, BUT, they where very good in the winter. Heat came in very quickly, but, most importantly, handling in snow was vey, very good (a carry over from Fiat, perhaps?). You could drive as you wanted, with or without perfect slides through the corners. Great fun!

I don't remember mine as being particularly bad to drive (and I used to get to drive lots of cars in those days as I helped in my uncle's garage during the holidays) other than needing care not to spin it, as when the back came out it wasn't easy to catch. I think I only actually spun mine once though, on a motorway slip road in the wet. Managed to keep it on the tarmac though!
In 1978 a Swedish TV car magazine managed to put a Skoda on the roof while doing an elk test (Merc A class style :() . The factory got upset and demanded a redo, now with a test driver from the factory and even the Check ambassador present. Same result.

Sales went to nearly zero after that.

This was when Sweden still was a big nation in Rallying (long before you had to have Sebastien in your name ;) ), so there where fierce competition. You can make a rally car out of anything, even a Lada.
Oh I know! I went to every rally in the U.K. I could during the 80s.
But let’s make this clear: as much as the owners/drivers of Ladas were enjoying themselves in their cheap as chips cars, they were comically slow. And that was the idea behind them really, as speed costs, and they couldn’t afford it.

IMG-2610.jpg
Old blokes getting pedantic about mini/MINI. The MINI is just a modern interpretation of an old car. Safety standards mean they simply can’t make these things to be small! Fine from the front but they’ve ruined those rear light clusters.

If they can't make them small, how come we have the Fiat 500?

If they can't make them small, how come we have the Fiat 500?
They’re small, but still bigger than the original, aren’t they? And some 500 models are as obscene as some minis.

Generally people don’t want tiny cars. They think they do, for driving and parking in busy towns and cities, but as soon as you need to carry a passenger and some shopping, their limitations surface. The Golf class is about optimum for most, but SUVs are trendy.

Yebbut they can make small cars, and the 500 is proof of that. Jezzer said safety standards prevents making small cars.

Totally agree that most people don't want small cars, that much is obvious.

Yebbut they can make small cars, and the 500 is proof of that. Jezzer said safety standards prevents making small cars.

Totally agree that most people don't want small cars, that much is obvious.
Yes I did. The new 500 is 10cm narrower and 25cm shorter than the MINI - so it’s smaller but not small. They’re both massive compared to the originals.

advertisement

Back