advertisement

Old and new Mini next to each other

I suffered 500 miles per week for ten years, many with the Merc. 500Nm was useful, but the racket of that uncouth four cylinder lump was draining.

Recent Passat, estate, petrol 1.5 turbo Miller cycle engine, 42-52mpg. In many ways the best car I’ve had, but on the local suffolk roads it’s too wide.

I crave a modern version of the 106 Rallye.
Meaning it must feel nippy without a turbo and weigh under 900kg?

Not sure it's ever coming round again. NA 2.0 Clio is the most recent thing I can remember like that, stopped in 2014? But still a fair bit heavier.

Meaning it must feel nippy without a turbo and weigh under 900kg?

Not sure it's ever coming round again. NA 2.0 Clio is the most recent thing I can remember like that, stopped in 2014? But still a fair bit heavier.
No, I said a modern version of it. Under 900kg could be done, but it would need a carbon fibre shell and aluminium subframes. That would be £££.

Uuuugly, as Steve Jobs put it when the iMac was released.
I was overtaken by a BMW Mini on the motorway yesterday. Actually it’s not a mini anymore, it’s much bigger than my own ‘normal’ car. Customers for those? It seems that they are German car lovers nowadays who buy them. They race with Audis and BMWs on the road.

Just checked…

Suzuki Ignis, from 895kg.
Thats still about 90kg more than a 1.3 Rallye, but material choices would get you most of the way there.

A workmate is building a Silva Riot at the moment. Heavily modified/strengthened 1.6 Ford Ecoboost, 330bhp.
The car weighs 400kg.

Thankfully, he can drive, and drive properly.

So what? All sorts end up parked at shopping centres, that's what people do. You or I may not, but normal people don't buy £500 mains cables. Not that you or I do, but some around here do, and I don't understand it either.
Don’t take it too seriously

Any connection between current models and the classic original has become token and largely incidental.

In the 70's my parents had a Mini as that was all they could afford. Of all the (bad) car choices my dad made he hated the Mini the most as it was an absolute nightmare to work on the engine.

I bought one as my first car and have to agree with him, the originals are cold in winter, damp in winter, rust like crazy and nothing but a source of grazed knuckles when trying to work on. The original mini is nothing but a nostalgia piece that should only be looked at.

That new Mini looks absolutely hideous.

I don't really see the problem, it's clearly still a Mini, it's just bigger, like everything else. A work colleague had a Vauxhall Corsa courtesy car last week, it's way bigger than the original Astra. I certainly don't think the Pinkfish demographic is the target for Mini anyway.

Cheers BB

In the 70's my parents had a Mini as that was all they could afford. Of all the (bad) car choices my dad made he hated the Mini the most as it was an absolute nightmare to work on the engine.

I bought one as my first car and have to agree with him, the originals are cold in winter, damp in winter, rust like crazy and nothing but a source of grazed knuckles when trying to work on. The original mini is nothing but a nostalgia piece that should only be looked at.

That new Mini looks absolutely hideous.
I remember working on the original Minis and agree with you entirely. However, they were also massive fun to drive, entertaining at sane road speeds, something which few modern cars achieve, and fewer still at affordable money.

Never owned one, but I know people who did, and they totally agree with you. On the other hand, it did revolutionise the small car market, and people making small cars copied the basic idea of a transverse engine, but without all the initial compromises (gears in the sump, radiator in the side, leaving the distributor exposed to the elements, problems with the primitive rubber universal joints). Then, of course, there was BMC's renowned quality control and dedicated workforce...

advertisement

Back