advertisement

Ok ..... 5 perfect albums with no duffers, fillers, best ofs or misses

Everybody knows this is nowhere - Neil Young
Sail Away - Randy Newman
Germ Free Adolescents - X Ray Specs
At the Mountains of Madness - Electric Masada
Aerial Ballet - Harry Nilsson

Most of the albums by The Necks. :D
Talk Talk, Spirit of Eden (could just as easily say Laughing Stock or Mark Hollis solo)
Joni Mitchell, Hejira
Bill Frisell, Gone, Just Like a Train
Arvo Part, Te Deum ECM New Label (#Zygote23, Alina is also great)
And yes, Kind of Blue by Miles is perfect as well.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Radiohead - In Rainbows
The Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms
Reload - A Collection Of Short Stories
Godspeed You Black Emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞

Terminals - Antiseptic
Able Tasmans - A Cuppa Tea and a Lie Down
The Sound Defects - The Iron Horse
The Fall - Perverted By Language
Pere Ubu - Dub Housing

Television - Marquee Moon
John Coltrane - A live supreme
Duke Ellington '& his mother called him Bill'
Steely Dan - Katie Lied
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic

Tried to list one's not out down elsewhere I could have added more Dan albums

I have to say it is amazing me how many flawless records have been made. Obviously songs like Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, It Ain’t Easy and I Want To Tell You (to name three at random) have a perfection that has so far eluded me.

Steely Dan - Katie Lied
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic

Tried to list one's not out down elsewhere I could have added more Dan albums

Blimey. How many perfect albums did they make? Don’t get me wrong, I love the Dan. Countdown to Ecstasy is one of my top three records ever (see other thread.) But I don’t think Pearl of the Quarter is perfect so the album isn’t, even although I might accept the other seven songs are. Are we confusing ‘perfect’ with ‘albums I think are really, really amazing’? ‘The greatest albums ever’ in other words (again)? Or am I missing something?

I have to say it is amazing me how many flawless records have been made. Obviously songs like Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, It Ain’t Easy and I Want To Tell You (to name three at random) have a perfection that has so far eluded me.

Blimey. How many perfect albums did they make? Don’t get me wrong, I love the Dan. Countdown to Ecstasy is one of my top three records ever (see other thread.) But I don’t think Pearl of the Quarter is perfect so the album isn’t, even although I might accept the other seven songs are. Are we confusing ‘perfect’ with ‘albums I think are really, really amazing’? ‘The greatest albums ever’ in other words (again)? Or am I missing something?
Music appreciation is subjective so that is probably the point you are missing;)

Music appreciation is subjective so that is probably the point you are missing;)
Don’t follow. What is your definition of perfect? I would say that if an album has one track on it that isn’t as good as all the others, then that track cannot be perfect. So nor is the album.

Don’t follow. What is your definition of perfect? I would say that if an album has one track on it that isn’t as good as all the others, then that track cannot be perfect. So nor is the album.
Your views are wholly subjective as are mine. It is perfectly possible to prefer some tracks on an album to others & this is subject to change, however if none of them are 'bad or mediocre' then it can still be 'perfect'.

Your views are wholly subjective as are mine. It is perfectly possible to prefer some tracks on an album to others & this is subject to change, however if none of them are 'bad or mediocre' then it can still be 'perfect'.
Perfect means ‘not bad or mediocre.’ OK, got it now.

Perfect means ‘not bad or mediocre.’ OK, got it now.
I'm not sure an album exists where I like each track equally. Some albums just really work as a whole, like David Bowies 'Low', which I actually prefer to Hunky Dory despite some of its flaws. An album is not merely a bundle of songs. Pointless labouring the point as we probably have different musica tastes which is perfectly fine.

I'm surprised that Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures, PiL's Metal Box and Trans Europe Express by Kraftwerk haven't featured yet. I'll add Durutti Column's Vini Reilly and This Mortal Coil's It'll End In Tears.

I might offer 5 completely different LPs next time I'm asked though....

Temple of the Dog
Pearl Jam : Ten
Alice in Chains : Dirt
Radiohead : The Bends
David Bowie : Heathen
Roger Waters : Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking
AC /DC : Back in Black
The Smiths : The Queen is Dead
Massive Attack : Mezzanine
JJ Cale : Naturally

All killer, no filler

Here are mine: