advertisement

Oh no - my case is too small!

colasblue

pfm Member
Phase 1 of my audio enabled office PC has now come to fruition and a Naim 160 copy has been successfully mcguivered into the PC case along with all the usual stuff for a PC

CIMG0568.jpg

Very nice it sounds too.

The problem is that phase 2 is all about also squeezing in a 42.5 and PS and therin lies the difficulty.

The PS I had in mind was to be based on the same traffo again and another pair of caps running a pair of teddyregs. Trouble is there's no way I can fit that lot into the case with any ease so I need a more compact solution for the PS part (42.5 will fit splendidly - its exactly the right width for a 5.25 inch drive bay!)

I saw this in classifieds

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=103371

and wonderd if anyone had any opinion on how satisfactory it might be to run a pair of regs off the same res caps as the power amp PS.

The other option would be to source a much smaller traffo. I have an old Nad tuner which might be able to supply such an item.

That's usually all that happens in a common or garden integrated amp. A better solution space permitting might be one transformer with two sets of secondary windings, one for each psu. You'd probably have to get that wound maybe.

I like the idea though, very original and I'm quite impressed :)

Perhaps the ideal transformer for this is the 430VA H & F D275c that was fitted to some CB NAP160s and HiCaps. This has two separate centre-tapped secondaries, one for each amplifier board and a third secondary for the preamplifier power supply.

malcolm

I know its an obvious thing to write, and you have already considered and rejected it, but what if you put one or both power supplies outside the case? It might also make life easier if in the future you have to change any parts of the PC or the sound system, and avoid the risk of magnetic fields interfering with the PC.

In fact I was very careful to build it in such a way as I can easily get the MOBO out if required. None of the screws are obscured.

A cusom build traffo is not really in the game plan since the thing is being built on a shoestring budget.

I could mount the second traffo on top of the first, probably with a spacer, but it would still be a problem to get a large pair of caps in and the mobo would then be hell to get out.

I was thinking possibly a rather smaller 1 winding traffo and cap - a bit like a snaps or teddycap. Anyone know which traffo Teddy uses in his cap? I'm sure its a lot smaller than the other 350VA job I have at present.

Perhaps the ideal transformer for this is the 430VA H & F D275c that was fitted to some CB NAP160s and HiCaps. This has two separate centre-tapped secondaries, one for each amplifier board and a third secondary for the preamplifier power supply.

malcolm

Unlikely that one of those will come up on its own, and I'd end up replacing the two kendiels with four of something a bit smaller.

I don't really have anything to lose by just trying the same approach as in that NCC200 amp, though I've never seen it done like that before. Can't be worse than Teddy's original printer PSU surely?

I have a pair of those Chinese clones running from a single 180VA toroid robbed from a defunkt Cambridge Audio power amp. They sound very good for what they are and the transformer is quite small. I used part of the Cambridge psu as well, cut straight out of the old printed circuit board. The caps are tiny! I can open it up and give you the transformer dimensions if that helps in any way.

They aren't actually the clones, I just bought the bare boards and built them myself.

The idea of dodgey fake sanken trannies blowing and taking my speakers with them or failing output resistors is just not a good idea i felt.

I did manage a small amount of blowing up in the construction process myself though.

advertisement

Back