advertisement

Oh, Canada!

God Speed You Black Emperor and offshoots. Essential stuff. Surprise they didn't get a shout before Mike's list.

Kevin

kjb said:
God Speed You Black Emperor and offshoots. Essential stuff. Surprise they didn't get a shout before Mike's list.

Kevin
Agreed, I had my head stuck in the 70's and 80's. Offshoot Fly Pan Am are very good.

Let's not forget Martha and the Muffins, though I can't say I've ever heard anything they've done besides Echo Beach.

Try" Blue Rodeo" Greatest Hits & Are You Ready ,the best band in the ,well Canada actually ,seen them in Ireland recently v.good

For we really oldies, Gordon Lightfoot.

I'm 58, so I qualify as an 'oldie' ? G L's music has meant more to me than any other singer/songwriter. OK, I like some of Neil Young's music, ditto Joni Mitchell. A bit of Ann Murray in the '70s too. Gord's music has been my companion since the early 1970s. He IS ' Oh, Canada,' to me...

Dudes,

It's O Canada, not Oh, Canada, though to be completely correct I suppose it ought to be O Canada, eh.

As for Canuck acts I'll second Ian's mention of Arcade Fire. I'm rather enjoying their new album. And I have to say I'm rather surprised that no one has mentioned the Five Neat Guys.

9421sctv_2.jpg

Joe

The Guess Who?

April Wine dominated the Canadian airwaves in the '70's. Great straight ahead rock.

How about the Staccato's from Ottawa who later became the Five Man Electrical Band? (Signs, Signs, everywhere Signs!).

Another popular band were The Collectors, who later became Chilliwack and had many hits.

Moxie.

Mandala.

Holly Cole.

Amanda Marshall is a very good singer.

Ian and Sylvia.

Stompin Tom Connors.

Chantal Keviazuk.

Molly Johnson.

Walter Ostanek, the Polka King!

Neil Young, of Montreal, Arcade Fire?
Mary Pickford (yes, she did sing, but we couldn't hear it)

Very Canadian -- French Canadian in fact -- are the marvellous Malajube from Montreal. Downloading this sample track http://tinyurl.com/yuful3 would be illegal so please don't do it and instead buy their album "Trompe L'Oeil".

However, we are all ignoring the Elephant in the living room here I think and it's time that Canada acknowledges that all the good stuff mentioned here in no way makes up for:

CELINE DION

I find it outrageous that your government has not done something about her. The Russians would have knobbled her by now for sure.

Syrinx?.... Anyone. A sort of prog band from the early seventies, they did produce some really weird sounds

advertisement

Back