advertisement

Oh Britain, What Have you Star Trek

Jonathan Ribee

Unavailable at present
In recognition of our societies inability to take a risk on genuine new art, culture and entertainment - remaking Star Wars, Star Trek, Blade Runner, vampire TV programmes, books like the last book that was a best seller - I give you the zero thought combination thread.

The UK is the Klingon Empire. Held in check for decades by the evil Federation Union. Now we will break out and remove the shackles of un-Klingon human rights. Better to die alone and penniless than be a part of a progressive liberal alliance of worlds. KAPLAK!

<discuss>

I suspect a Babylon 5 analogy would work rather better, though I’ve not seen it since the ‘80s so I can’t remember much other than I thought it was rather better than the Star Trek of the time. IIRC it was about a gigantic EU Parliament in space, a last ditch hope for peace and trade between planets, and was written with much humour. The UK would be some ugly insignificant characters long overdue a bit of a slap-down.

PS The rather ropey yet groundbreaking at the time CGI effects were done on a cluster of Amigas. In Little Brexit England it will be on BBC Micro:bits.

The UK are the Centauri , jaded, pompous & living on memories of past glory. In a desperate attempt to restore this, they ally with the Shadows (Trump) and end getting twatted ....

May is Emperor Cartagia, I'm not yet sure if Corbyn is G'Kar....

"Let it all end in fire!"

Given the spirit of Brexit don't Ferengi have the most in common with t'UK?

I see it more like an infamous episode, Trouble with Tories - where despite the very obvious problem (a retrograde and multifarious low-level internal annoyance, signalled in the collective by Boris Johnson's hairpiece appearing multiplicitly in-shot to bugger everything up at every conceivable point of action and thereby altering the course of things that might actually matter ) the crew mug-along and giggle nervously rather than doing the decent thing in the first five minutes and killing the root infestation with a phaser set well above 'stun'.

It's an episode with a certain risible cache in fandom. We all pretend it never happened.
Also, nobody returns our calls on the big screeny-thing, and we wonder why.

Can we please arrange a Douglas Adams solution & persuade all the Brexiters to board a giant evacuation ship to the Falklands, where they can live in cold, damp isolation safe from mutant EU star goats...

Can we please arrange a Douglas Adams solution & persuade all the Brexiters to board a giant evacuation ship to the Falklands, where they can live in cold, damp isolation safe from mutant EU star goats...

I have thought for a while that the EU is Golgafrincham. The UK is the B Ark - full of people the mother planet would probably be better off without yet given the honour of being the first to leave - having been assured the others would all be following very shortly (eg the Netherlands and France following their elections the year after.)

David Cameron after the referendum.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect a Babylon 5 analogy would work rather better, though I’ve not seen it since the ‘80s so I can’t remember much other than I thought it was rather better than the Star Trek of the time. IIRC it was about a gigantic EU Parliament in space, a last ditch hope for peace and trade between planets, and was written with much humour. The UK would be some ugly insignificant characters long overdue a bit of a slap-down.

PS The rather ropey yet groundbreaking at the time CGI effects were done on a cluster of Amigas. In Little Brexit England it will be on BBC Micro:bits.

Babylon 5 mirrors Drumpf in so many scary ways. The puppet "Shadow" controlled president who is willing to destroy the Earth as it needs to be "cleansed". Blaming alien influences for the ills of Earth whilst being wholly owned by an Alien race., The "Resistance" with it's own broadcast network and its' strength lying in a vision of different races working together in peace.

Babylon 5 mirrors Drumpf in so many scary ways. The puppet "Shadow" controlled president who is willing to destroy the Earth as it needs to be "cleansed". Blaming alien influences for the ills of Earth whilst being wholly owned by an Alien race., The "Resistance" with it's own broadcast network and its' strength lying in a vision of different races working together in peace.

Indeed.

Who are the Shadows?

Stephen

The underlying plot to the whole of the Babylon 5 series is a war between two races, the Shadows and the Vorlons. Both the Shadows and the Vorlons have been around almost as long as sentient life has in the universe and seek to guide/bully/cajole.demand other younger races follow their path.

No, it is Shadow.

2a1e2ec7fbd9c38029e71f7a01f63093--shadows-fall-babylon-.jpg

:)

And when they want a human personification of evil, something that by all rights should be dead but isn't, they use the name Morden. As someone who has lived in south London, I can understand.

advertisement

Back