advertisement

Oh Britain, what have you done (part ∞+6)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't see how the policies outlined by Corbyn, specifically free childcare and green jobs, can fail to completely take the under 35 vote. So moan away you are just pissing in the wind; it is the end of an era and not before time. Personally I think the Tories need to go to the polls soon or what remains of their voters will be dead or demented.

They won't of course; a zombie party stumbling through the mist with no reason to be and nowhere to go.

Last edited:
Easy to spend other people’s money. I found it most odd that Labour should close their conference with T-Rex 'Children of the Revolution'. Marc Bolan left the UK to avoid a ‘super tax’ being imposed by the then Labour government.

Easy to spend other people’s money. I found it most odd that Labour should close their conference with T-Rex 'Children of the Revolution'. Marc Bolan left the UK to avoid a ‘super tax’ being imposed by the then Labour government.

If childcare is free it allows more women in the workplace which makes the UK more competitive generating more revenue.

I just can't see how the policies outlined by Corbyn specifically free childcare and green jobs can't, just about, completely take the under 35 vote. So moan away you are just pissing in the wind; it is the end of an era and not before time. Personally I think the Tories need to go to the polls soon or what remains of their voters will be dead or demented.

They won't of course; a zombie party stumbling through the mist with no reason to be and nowhere to go.

I agree. I think Corbyn has now just about made promises to everyone below the age of 40 who are gullible enough not to realise they will be the ones who will suffer in the end. Pay back tuition fees, free childcare, £15 minimum wage, why not have 10% of a company while we're at it lol.
They have been wheeling out their ministers to talk about their "fully costed £48bn" manifesto pledge that funds all this. The same manifesto the ifs dismissed as unrealistic and damaging to the economy.
I don't think there is any chance of an election but if they do I believe there are enough people who realise that a repackaged communist party which is institutionally racist is not the right party for this great country.

If childcare is free it allows more women in the workplace which makes the UK more competitive generating more revenue.

Maybe, however, I suspect it will be like the tuition fees debacle. Once he realises how much it will actually cost, it will be off the table. Of course, there would also be unintended consequences. If a huge number of people suddenly have more disposable income, they will borrow more money and drive up property prices, meaning everyone has to work harder. Same as the 10% company equity brainwave. Companies will not take on employees, everyone will be contractors.

Apologies. I intended to say that Corbyn has completely taken the under 35 vote. The tories are a party of the past; the living (for now) dead.

Post amended to make it less confusing.

Norway does have some *huge* advantages over remain though:

-- It counts as leaving the EU which honours the referendum
-- It can be quickly and easily agreed and implemented.
-- It removes any need for another f**king referendum.

I'd take that just to be done with it at a relatively minor cost to the economy. Indeed I suspect a Norway deal would make a chunk of the cost back from where we are now just from the currency effects.

Yes it would undermine Corbyn's authority like the anti-semitism row did, but the Norway model has some real benefits for Labour. It keeps us in the Single Market which is good news for the economy and also ensures that the Irish border problem disappears. It does not require participation in the Customs Union and so we could strike our own independent trade deals with the world at large. We would not be part of the Common Fisheries Policy, the Common Agricultural Policy and would not be directly under the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice. It is expensive, nearly as much as EU membership and we would have no say in the rules that were imposed on what we trade in the Single Market. However, we would have free movement, citizenship rights, environmental standards and workers legislation.

In my opinion, this is where Labour should set its stall and it enables the centrists and Momentum to share common ground. But it won't because some of this has been rejected by Corbyn (electoral reasons) and because the leadership see the EU as a capitalist club (ideological reasons). Shame.

According to the National Farmers Union, no deal would be catastrophic. That's catastrophic.

"These technical notices confirm in black and white what we already knew: a no deal scenario would be catastrophic for British agriculture. A scenario where farmers face an immediate trade embargo for many of their products would have devastating effects, and would severely threaten livelihoods and businesses." https://www.nfuonline.com/news/brex...ews/no-deal-catastrophic-for-british-farming/

Add that to a shortage of food imports and a shortage of agricultural and food processing workers...

According to the National Farmers Union, no deal would be catastrophic. That's catastrophic.

"These technical notices confirm in black and white what we already knew: a no deal scenario would be catastrophic for British agriculture. A scenario where farmers face an immediate trade embargo for many of their products would have devastating effects, and would severely threaten livelihoods and businesses." https://www.nfuonline.com/news/brex...ews/no-deal-catastrophic-for-british-farming/

Add that to a shortage of food imports and a shortage of agricultural and food processing workers...
Owen Paterson will be along to say there’s more than enough badgers to go round and his wife has some marvellous recipes.

"A scenario where farmers face an immediate trade embargo for many of their products would have devastating effects, and would severely threaten livelihoods and businesses."

We'll starve but it's OK, 'cos we've stuck it to the rich money-grabbing f**kers.

Hopefully that’s a fair few in the rural areas no longer voting Tory.

The only problem is, most rural areas voted 'leave' so they're getting what they wanted.

screen%20shot%202016-06-24%20at%207.21.45%20am.png

What a silly comment. For the last eight years the Tories have been trying to pay back the national debt. They have done that by taking money from people least able to afford it through austerity measures. This is largely to deal with the financial crisis which was caused by greedy, rich people trying to get richer.

Most people voting in the next election won't remember. The Tories generally too old to remember when they last pissed their pants let along a 1970s pop star. Nolan died before millions of voters were even born.

What is this super tax?

I found it most odd that Labour should close their conference with T-Rex 'Children of the Revolution'. Marc Bolan left the UK to avoid a ‘super tax’ being imposed by the then Labour government.

A rather amusing point that hadn’t occurred to me! I was more taken by how Corbyn was clearly totally incapable of finding the song’s rhythm, finding a way to clap nowhere near either the kick or snare, and emphasised all the more by being sandwiched between two women who could obviously dance. What is it with politicians and music? This wasn’t quite as embarrassing as Theresa May throwing her truly bizarre shapes in Africa, but it is measurable on the same scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back