advertisement

Office chair recommendations

Andrew L Weekes

Reverse Engineer
After my first full day of working from home, I've realised my desk chair isn't as comfortable as I need it to be!

Does anyone have any recommendations for something sensibly priced (three figures, not four!), well padded for my slightly heavier-than-it-should-be frame and with good adjustability?

There's so much choice and a lot of lovely, but insanely expensive, ergonomic chairs out there, hoping someone has come across something that's a good balance between price and comfort.

Thanks!

At work they put me on such a thing and at first I thought they couldn't be serious. A plastic armature with a fairly hard rubber padding.

15 years later I am still very confortable with it, to the point that I've bought one myself for my home office. Sitting on it now. Can be had for roughly £400. Give me a super-sophisticated one for £4000 and I wouldn't want it.

Herman Millers look cool but the metal frame appears to me like it will hurt after a while. Oh and I like chairs that allow you to move a little.

83226.jpg

We have Herman Miller chairs at work and I wouldn’t buy one for myself. I don’t find them very comfortable for extended periods. YMMV, obvs.

Ooh, that looks nice, less than half price for a very good quality chair. Do you have a seller you've dealt with?

No, I'm sure there are many good sellers on ebay. They're good value because big companies buy them and tend to pass them into the refurbished market very regularly.

Things to watch out for.

1. Get the right size. Most are B. There's a chart here

https://www.hermanmiller.com/conten.../other/ap_sizefitref_classic_aeron_chairs.pdf

2. You pay a more if the chair is loaded with extras like "lumbar loading" -- something for you to investigate and decide how important that sort of thing is for you.

3. The charcoal painted base tends to wear because people rub it with their shoes. You can buy a special touch up spray paint which works well.

We have Herman Miller chairs at work and I wouldn’t buy one for myself. I don’t find them very comfortable for extended periods. YMMV, obvs.

Ah, I can sit in mine for ever. What to say? It's a risk I suppose.

I bought mine a few years ago when I started to get some lower back pain. When I sat in the chair, the pain went!

Found a seller on eBay selling refrubed Herman Miller, Humanscale, Steelcase and others, with good feedback, having a browse!

I found a herman millar in the local charity shop for 40 quid, I did not know for sure but suspected it was 'good' got it home and gave it a clean and there was the logo, delighted I was. It looks like a torture device, but damn its comfy.

00831rSTgy1gd4j7grdk6j30dc0hsdxc.jpg

I found a herman millar in the local charity shop for 40 quid, I did not know for sure but suspected it was 'good' got it home and gave it a clean and there was the logo, delighted I was. It looks like a torture device, but damn its comfy.

Result! Not sure I can get one delivered now we're in full lockdown!

Handy hint for when you find a discarded Aeron in a skip/charity shop. If you want to know its size, run your finger over the middle of the top of the backrest between the frame and the fabric. On the inside of the frame you will feel 1 bump for small, 2 for medium and 3 for large. You're welcome ...

If you can also find an Orangebox Ara refurbished then that's an excellent chair. They use them in the Scottish Government so perfect for long hours at a desk....doing nowt. The Joy is also good but just not *as* good.

A very different & healthy, low cost alternative is the IKEA Nilserik : https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/nilserik-standing-support-white-vissle-grey-50309723/

Over the last 40+ years I’ve used many kinds of office chairs up to the £1k level, but mostly enjoyed the HAG kneeling varieties (with wheels). I bought a Nilserik about 18 months ago as a cheap way of discovering if I could work in a semi-standing position some of the time (the chair adjusts up and down very simply). I love it, but should add that the base is not flat & a very little balance is required (also very good for you).

They cost £50 new in the U.K., but prob available for less than half that on eBay.

Anyone with recommendations on high back chairs inc neck support?
My Haworth (see post 13 above) had a headrest as an option, and I bought it. It works very well. However, it was bought in Swizzieland and the option doesn't appear to exist in the UK, apart from a rather more expensive executive model.

advertisement

Back