advertisement

Odeon horns, Aries Cerat Diana Integrated, Kronzilla SX, Apogee Scintilla

great write up . having never been to the bridgwater hall i can`t say whether its better than symphony hall which i attend regularly and enjoy but was interested to read this

New concert halls are almost silent, allowing musicians to draw listeners in with incredibly quiet playing. The breathing and fidgeting of the audience actually creates more sound than other background noises. Only in intense moments where the audience collectively hold its breath, can this deep silence be heard. Take a backstage tour of the Bridgewater Hall, and you will be told the story of the IRA bomb that on 15 June 1996 broke virtually every window in the city centre. The hall is so well isolated that construction workers inside the auditorium did not hear the explosion. The venue held its first performance in September 1996 and now has three resident orchestras: the Hallé, the BBC Philharmonic and Manchester

my wife was recently listening to a programme about st matthews passion and shocked to hear bachs wife died as a pauper

When J.S. Bach died in 1750, J.S. Bach left no will and his modest estate was evenly split between Anna Magdalena Bach and the nine surviving children from both marriages. If the subsequent neglect of J.S. Bach's memory reflects scant credit on the Leipzig establishment, then the treatment of his widow reflects none at all. In 1751, church officials evicted Anna from the Kantor's quarters she had called home for nearly 30 years, and she spent the rest of her life scraping by on charity. Why her able-bodied children did nothing to alleviate her poverty is not known. She died at 58 in an almshouse and was buried in an unmarked pauper's grave at Leipzig's Johanniskirche (St. John's Church), where her husband had been laid to rest a decade before. J.S. Bach's forgotten grave was discovered during renovation of the church in 1894

http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Lib/Bach-Anna-Magdalena.htm

advertisement

Back