advertisement

Odd rega cartridge issue?

linnfomaniac83

I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!
Hi guys, I currently have a Rega P5/Neo doing main turntable duties, I’ve recently subbed in an Elys 2 cartridge from my second deck (which only had about 20 hours at most from new) the 2M Black I was using was EOL, it sounded better than expected at first but over a pretty short time it has started to sound a little flat and lifeless and also I’m hearing more surface noise. Also, a for a few seconds (anywhere from 5-30 seconds) after lifting the arm after play, I can hear a rustling from both speakers followed by a very pronounced bump and then silence, I’ve tried three different phono stages so I know all is fine there. The only explanation I can think of is a suspension issue. The cartridge only has about 40 hours play time on it so it shouldn’t be giving me any issues, but it is doing. Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Rega MM cartridges do make a small noise when lifted from the record - perfectly normal, as the suspension settles down.

Surface noise is generally lower than a 2M. Maybe check the loading of the phono stage.

I've never seen or heard of anything like that no... but I concur with your diagnoses!
It’s certainly the first time I’ve experienced anything like it, it must be a suspension issue, it can’t really be anything else. I might drop Paul Darwin a message, I bought the cartridge new and sealed from Musicraft about 18 months ago in their clearance sale and have barely used it since. I’m not sure where I stand with any warranty because it’s hard to prove use (or lack of) with a cartridge.

Rega MM cartridges do make a small noise when lifted from the record - perfectly normal, as the suspension settles down.

Surface noise is generally lower than a 2M. Maybe check the loading of the phono stage.
I would say the surface noise is still lower than a 2M but it’s definitely not as lively or detailed as the 2M either. It may just be a case of me getting used to and bored of it rather than it becoming flat/lifeless... and the I’ve probably become more aware of surface noise with critical listening.

My setup probably deserves something a little better than an Elys 2 in all fairness... but what to buy? I don’t think I want another 2M, I’m more inclined towards a decent MC, the Ania looks interesting, or maybe one of the Hana models, but I’ve also always fancied trying a Dynavector model, I’ve never owned one but I’ve heard plenty of good reports. Any suggestions are welcome!

Sounds to me as though you are describing the negative affects of static electricity. It used to occasionally happen chez moi during the winter months before we invested in a whole home humidifier (on forced air natural gas system). Typically happened after a couple of on-the-fly record flips with felt mat.

A simple test is to hang some freshly washed laundry in the listening room, perhaps with a fan blowing on to help distribute the humidiy/dry the clothes faster.

Should the problem resolve itself, consider a room or whole home humidifier.

Although it might not be the issue you have, a friend of mine had an issue with an Elys cartridge last year and his was less than a year old, with little use. He said it was sounding odd and it clearly was. When I examined the cartridge and checked the set up etc, it turned out that the tip of the stylus had come loose in the cantilever. We took it to the dealer who had sold him the deck and the cartridge was replaced. A very strange fault and it seemed to be one the dealer had not come across before.

Sounds to me as though you are describing the negative affects of static electricity. It used to occasionally happen chez moi during the winter months before we invested in a whole home humidifier (on forced air natural gas system).

A simple test is to hang some freshly washed laundry in the listening room, perhaps with a fan blowing on to help distribute the humidiy/dry the clothes faster.

Should the problem resolve itself, consider a room or whole home humidifier.
Possible, but I’m not getting any other issues like the mat clinging to the records or dust accumulation. I’ll pop some towels on the radiator and see if that changes anything, cheers for the suggestion.

An Exact or Ania are excellent choices for your P5.
Is the Exact a big step up from the Elys 2? I’m probably more inclined to go for the Ania, I think the deck deserves it, and to be fair the deck is in front of a pretty revealing system, so I do want to hear the P5 at its very best.

The P5 has a GT reference sub platter and as mentioned, the Neo PSU and could possibly do justice to an Apheta 3 but before I went that far, I’d probably be looking at changing the whole deck for a P8/10/LP12 or something at a similar price/performance level... I do like the P5 though and I have heard it sounding very, very good indeed with a better cartridge, I did have a MK1 Apheta on it until my lovely nephew completely trashed it.:(

Rega recently rebuilt my Apheta for about a third of the price of an Apheta 2, so may be worth considering if you still have it. I have lots of time for the Exact, it really sang on my P9.

Rega recently rebuilt my Apheta for about a third of the price of an Apheta 2, so may be worth considering if you still have it. I have lots of time for the Exact, it really sang on my P9.
I don’t, I sold it on for rebuild... I’m regretting that decision now. I was very happy with the Apheta, it married brilliantly with the P5.

Hi Linnfomanias 83, the design of our MM cartridges does mean there is a gentle "plop" as you lift from the record, this is the suspension, cantilever and and pole piece returning to normal "position" and is nothing to be concerned about.

We closed Musicrafts account in May 2016 so if they were still selling a "new" Rega cartridge in mid 2018 (the 18 months ago as you suggest) then I would find it a little unusual being over two years later.

PD

Hi Linnfomanias 83, the design of our MM cartridges does mean there is a gentle "plop" as you lift from the record, this is the suspension, cantilever and and pole piece returning to normal "position" and is nothing to be concerned about.

We closed Musicrafts account in May 2016 so if they were still selling a "new" Rega cartridge in mid 2018 (the 18 months ago as you suggest) then I would find it a little unusual being over two years later.

PD
He was clearing out stock at generously reduced prices, it still had the security seals on the box. I bought an RP1 at the same time (which is astounding for the money).

It does produce a gentle “plop” but it occurs anything from five to thirty seconds after you have lifted the arm... it doesn’t sound broken whilst playing, just not as detailed or dynamic as I’m used to... but then I’ve mostly used £500-£2500 cartridges for the last few years.

I’m probably just going to put it back on the RP1 and enjoy it for what it is, It does work a treat on that deck though my Linn/Royd setup. That system doesn’t major on detail or sound stage, it’s just fast and fun... I actually think the smoothness of the Elys helps to keep it from becoming uncouth.

I’ll probably be placing an order for an Ania in the near future, if it comes close to the MK1 Apheta I had, I’ll be very happy indeed.

Hi guys, I currently have a Rega P5/Neo doing main turntable duties, I’ve recently subbed in an Elys 2 cartridge from my second deck (which only had about 20 hours at most from new) the 2M Black I was using was EOL, it sounded better than expected at first but over a pretty short time it has started to sound a little flat and lifeless and also I’m hearing more surface noise. Also, a for a few seconds (anywhere from 5-30 seconds) after lifting the arm after play, I can hear a rustling from both speakers followed by a very pronounced bump and then silence, I’ve tried three different phono stages so I know all is fine there. The only explanation I can think of is a suspension issue. The cartridge only has about 40 hours play time on it so it shouldn’t be giving me any issues, but it is doing. Anyone else experienced anything similar?

I've also heard the rustling sound on the Elys (2 samples). I attribute this to what looks like a damper pad where the stylus exits the body (looks like foam rubber).
I think the sound is the material expanding once the stylus is lifted.
Whatever the cause, it's poor form and as a Rega fan I say it really is high time they retired these things and gave us some fresh designs.

They have a V shaped 'loudness' response with a large treble peak and recessed mids, and the stylus quality (on the Elys and Bias at least) isn't good enough to carry this off. End of side distortion is also poor with these due to stylus shape (it's basic) not alignment.

Come on Rega, Here's a suggestion. Square-off the roundy body (Koetsu shape but smaller) so we align them easily in a shell, make it completely matt black with a thin green line down the front and fit the gubbins from one of the Audio Technica VM range with a micro ridge (ML) stylus.

£400 and you'll sell a ton :)

In fairness to Rega, with a rated output of 6.8 - 7.2mV, one is likely to hear an amoeba fart should it occur anywhere near to one's Elys 2.

Why would you expect a £100 Rega cartridge to sound anything like a £500 Ortofon one?! Am I missing something here?
I don’t. The point of this thread is that I thought it might have a suspension issue. And to be fair to the Elys, I’ve heard worse cartridges costing a lot more.

In fairness to Rega, with a rated output of 6.8 - 7.2mV, one is likely to hear an amoeba fart should it occur anywhere near to one's Elys 2.
It does have noticeably higher output than my 2M but it’s more so at the bottom end, the top end sounds rather rolled off though. I could do with playing with loading but it’s trick given that I’m using the built in MM stage in my preamp. I’ll probably just put it back on my RP1 and get something like the Ania for the P5.

advertisement

Back