advertisement

Nuts

Nero

Re: Tired
I like a good nut or two, and their reappearance at this time of year is always welcome. I'm partial to Brazils and hazel nuts (I used to call these cob nuts but this might be local dialect), but why oh why are they so expensive?

SWMBO, being Italian, goes over there every month, and picks up bags of nuts for - er - peanuts, and at any time of the year. She brought back a huge bag of walnuts last time, for €2 a pop.

You try finding them in any quantity over here after February.

I blame the continentals. Although most of it comes from the US I think

Aldi do a nice roasted salted mixed nut selection which contains almonds, pecans hazelnuts peanuts and cashews. If they could bring themselves to chuck in some macadamias it would be perfect.

I can't do salted nuts, but Aldi also do some nice cashews and pistachios. There a new shop opened up locally called Grape Tree which does big bags, including the above and also macadamias. I find most sellers use almonds as fillers - look at the help-yourself tray in Waitrose. Most of the Brazils, hazels and cashews have gone, leaving a high proportion of almonds. I would point out that I would never stoop to such behaviour

well, you have to pay for what you help yourself to :) - pick n mix for posh people

I think cashews are very odd, a big juicy fruit and we eat almost the stalk. They grow on the East coast of Malaysia

We've a large walnut tree in the garden, but every year it's a battle to keep the squirrels away; the filthy little swine tend to strip the lot.

SWMBO bought a big bag of walnuts from Lidl the other day for making cakes with, and they're really delicious, not dry & shrivelled like most you buy.

I love salted nuts. Peanuts, of course, pistachios, oh yes but my best nut memory is when we were on holiday in Tunisia and the hotel sent waiters round the pool area with dishes of salted, newly roasted sliced almonds, still warm. In the heat with a cold beer, it was bliss.

Pistachios, cashews, pecans, walnuts - prefer them all unsalted. Peanuts are a different story. The best here are larger than average, and grown in Virginia. I try to limit salt these days, but not when it comes to peanuts, and especially not at this time of year.

Always have some nuts in my house- cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, etc.

advertisement

Back