advertisement

Nurse With Wound

Their collaboration with Faust sounded very good on radio 6 a few months back, not sure if it is available yet, asked Rough Trade East a few weeks ago but didn't have it available

"Hoisting The Black Flag" is an early United Dairies various artists release and a good starting point as it also carries other interesting groups of the same ilk

The Faust record is called Disconnected, it's very good and apparently out on vinyl soon if you're into that sort of thing. Been out on cd for ages though so should be available, unless it's a new BBC session deal? I like the soliloquay (sp?) for lillith set and thunder perfect mind. The stereolab collaboration is good too. I think Salt Marie Celeste is SSB's fav and he knows more about it than I do, but I haven't got that one yet.

You can get Disconnected on vinyl from Dirter:

http://www.dirter.co.uk/

I would start with Automating Vols 1 and 2 (2 great compilations of early stuff), and Second Pirate Session/Rock 'n Roll Station (the most accessible record), followed by Salt Marie Celeste (my favourite). I also like Soliloquy for Lilith and Thunder Perfect Mind. There are a huge number of releases, most of them contain something great, but they do go in and out of print a lot, and completism is not something I aim for (even though I have a lot of them). The most recent, Huffin Rag Blues, is great, but not at all characteristic.

I personally am more attracted by his work with Current 93 is it, particularly in the earlier doomy material.

Be warned, some NWW records contain long passages of scraping, bumping and other unconventional passages of non-rhythmic doodling, which can get a bit samey. TPM are pretty good, both the NWW album and the C93 one, which they both worked on there.

I suppose never knowing what to expect has become a bit of a trademark when encountering a NWW release, which is a good thing.

DS

David Tibet used to write for Sounds in the mid-'80s.

I interviewed him and his mates for a pieces on Current 93 and Death In June 25 years ago.

Must admit I thought their ideas were better than the music. And a lot of the former were adapted from Faust, Burroughs and Crowley etc.

I'm glad to see he is still producing music though.

Jack

He lives (literally) around the corner from me. This is less good news than it might be, as I really can't stand him :)

Hrrm I thought Tibet had relocated to Ireland but it looks like he's gorne all Christian?

Jhonn Balance will be turning in his grave!

i can't help thinking "nurse with gash" would have been even more effective in terms of what the band was after.

vuk

Hrrm I thought Tibet had relocated to Ireland but it looks like he's gorne all Christian?

Stave Stapleton lives in Ireland. Tibet's in Hastings, partly because it's where Aleister Crowley was living when he died, I suspect. He's a gnostic nowadays, as well as a bit of a twat.

AAh yes now I remember it is indeed Stapelton that lives here.

I have a couple of things by C93 as wel as a few by NWW. I love the NWW/Stereolab collaberation 'Simple Headphone Mind'. Most of their other work however just freaks me out and makes me uneasy. I don't know why this is but I get seriously unsettled.

Coil however I could listen to all day with not a worry.

That Coil had a 4 LP set out recently, but as is the trend with other groups like this with a loyal fanbase with obsessive collector tendencies (e.g TG) it as £80 for it is it.

Mind you I just shed out a sum approaching that for a set of 10 x 7" for a couple of sides by Susan Strenger and Robert Lippok there.

So that is the situation.

Anyway, I though David T had become a full on flagellationist catholic?

DS

That coil 4lp set freaked me out so much that I panicked in case I missed it. I've now ended up with three sets one of which is very limited Red vinyl. (the joys of being near a computer when I am drunk).

They are beautiful and incredibly well put together.....a must for coil fans. I've seen them go on fleabay anywhere from £40 odd to a few hundred quid.

advertisement

Back