advertisement

nu jazz and lounge

frenchcr

Dead fish go with the flow.
Ive been listening to some nice stuff in this genre (Air, Evolve, Jazzanova), but new to this type of music...want to find more...

...any suggestions??

Try The Cinematic Orchestra - "Motion","Every day", "Man with a Movie Camera" and, if still available, the Future Sounds of Jazz and Giles Peterson's compilations (especially good on Vinyl).

Simon

some folks would call this "acid jazz" from the 90's...using real instruments with a toe tapping sound...check out Instinct record label...they have many complilations that can get you started...

Compilation albums often help here.

I have a couple simply called "Nu Jazz", which I discovered at the library.

There are also a series of albums called "Putumayo presents..." that are enjoyable.

You could check out St Germain "Tourist" and "Boulevard" too.

Have a browse around: http://www.tunes.co.uk/

They have a large selection of this kind of stuff. Maybe start with browsing jazzanova's label (compost). I was a big fan of some of the earlier fluid ounce stuff as well, so worth checking them. You can spend hours on the site...

Try The Cinematic Orchestra - "Motion","Every day", "Man with a Movie Camera" and, if still available, the Future Sounds of Jazz and Giles Peterson's compilations (especially good on Vinyl).

Simon

If anyone is into this kind of stuff, I have a mint (as in never played through on account of me totally hating it) 2 x12" copy of Cinematic Orchestra Live. I'll stick it in the ads section.

some suggestions...

Esbjorn Svennson Trio (especially Strange Place for Snow)
Bugge Wesseltoft (especially Sharing)
Nik Bartsch and Ronin (especially Holon)

Kruder and Dorfmeister. You could also try Er by Nil Peter Molvaer, but he does it properly.

Blue States, Baby Mammoth, Leggo Beast, Tosca, Terranova, Groove Armada (early stuff), Fila Brazillia.

You may also find stuff you like on the Ultimae record label (www.ultimae.com).

Andrew Randle

Nils-Petter Molvaer definitely -- Alex Kidd, Kyoto Jazz Massive and Re:Jazz also fit this bill.

Aqua Bassino, Blue Six, Chicane, 4Hero, Micatone, 9Lazy9
THe list is endless, its all my wife ever puts on, then complains when I put on Coltrane !!
Phil

Gilles Peterson ; INCredible sounds of , or any of the Worldwide series.
Koop , Red Snapper , LTJ Bukem any of the Earth series , Lamb , Break Reform , Gotan Project............... the list goes on and on.

chz

The best track on the Babel Gilberto CD is an Amon Tobin tune. I forget the name of it but can have a look when I get home if anyone is particularly bothered :)

Internet Radio. Many stations of this stuff.

One of my favourites - Secret Agent on SomaFM

"The soundtrack for your stylish, mysterious, dangerous life. Classic stylish lounge music and downtempo spy electronica"

advertisement

Back