advertisement

NS 1000 the swapouts....

Fitnessed

pfm Member
Completely Standard findings.....

Source used throughout -WiiM MINI/SMSL su1 DAC.

Khmozo passive 10k pre...

Quad 405.1,306 tried....
405/1 Preferred.(11 oclock on both LPADS).

Something i never tried was 303 (Dada spec) and regret this now...

Radford sta 25 (EL34)really nice tamed the the mids/tweets,bass sounded nicer perhaps as a consequence of the mid/tweeter smoothing...

Bass on the ns1000 is very tight and punchy not deep,a sub would get the deeper registers,never got round to this,perhaps someone has done this?
( and a cost effective workaround if it can be integrated....)

Semi- active

khmozo passive 10k pre...

Mids/tweeters TG CROSSOVER- Quad 909 far too lively tried a quad 34 active preamp and it both tamed and lost detail .

Schitt saga plus pre -liveliness returned with 909..

Swapped in a quad 303 (Dada spec), back with the khmozo and it is really nice.

Radford Sta25 and primaluna el34 again really nice..

Bass Active crossover/Quad qmps -Scanspeak drivers-

I have found these speakers in both formats changeable according to a lot of factors and no wonder, they are studio monitors.
Also amplifier matching has for me made them a more pleasurable listen....
Does system matching also account for the marmite opinions or perhaps a decline in drivers/crossovers.....?
For me the best sounds at the wam show were the ns1000 and ns 2000,think there was some dsp and valves involved....
Be interested to hear from other ns1000 owners?

Last edited:
Quick answer as I'm on my way out .

The bass is there but you need to get them on or very near the wall and use a powerful amp .

I've been through some very nice valve and solid state amps and by far the best have been Yamaha's own amps . Currently using a A-S2100 .

I've no shortage of bass and mids and tips are as smooth as silk .

The best thing you can do to improve the bass and tonal neutrality of NS-1000Ms is to replace the crossover with the Troels Gravesen upgrade. They are gob-smackingly good.

My NS1000Ms that have just sold, probably in my two/three favourite speakers. I did use a sub with them but for most listening its not required, only really for electronic music and to fill in the lowest octave <40Hz. The bass was just tight, punchy and deep enough for me I think, certainly helped with the rear wall re-enforcement and really even bass too.
In the past few weeks, I was using them with a ~1.5wpc Decware Zen, and it was pretty amazing, obviously to a limit in SPL but really out-of-the-box experience. The Bryston B60R that I used the most with them seemed a very good match overall though.

My NS1000Ms that have just sold, probably in my two/three favourite speakers. I did use a sub with them but for most listening its not required, only really for electronic music and to fill in the lowest octave <40Hz. The bass was just tight, punchy and deep enough for me I think, certainly helped with the rear wall re-enforcement and really even bass too.
In the past few weeks, I was using them with a ~1.5wpc Decware Zen, and it was pretty amazing, obviously to a limit in SPL but really out-of-the-box experience. The Bryston B60R that I used the most with them seemed a very good match overall though.

Sounds like you are going to miss them,i let a pair go once to my regret...

I tried many amps with NS1000’s. The best sounds I heard from them were with an Avondale amp. I’m sure the latest SE variations would be even better being more open and refined but maintaining the drive of the earlier boards.

I have had multiple amps with my NS1000.
Currently these:
53416652830_c0ce62259d_c.jpg
Denon PMA-850

53416383643_03bfcc3ec3_c.jpg
The Lentek

53416540174_a830e77cfc_c.jpg
JVC JA-S71

All work really well. All have hefty power supplies and control.

TOGETHER:
53415297707_ee7ac9ded7_c.jpg

advertisement

Back