advertisement

Novice query re room correction?

JezmondTutu

pfm Member
l use vinyl and digital sources via a DAC and am wondering what options might be available to me to cover off both sources? Currently not using a preamp as my phono stage and DAC both have adjustable volume so I literally swap over XLR’s on my active speakers.

I would also consider a DAC/pre with room correction?

My speaker’s are ATC SCM40A’s. They sound awesome but on some music, the bass hits too hard in my room. So I am thinking room correction would be a perfect solution.

Any advice or recommendations most welcomed!

Minidsp SHD is a DAC/pre with room correction and will take both analogue and digital inputs. I’m using it for room correction only because I already have a DAC. It also has a built in streamer using Volumio.

Don't forget any room correction will digitise the analog input, if that bothers you. I have used Dirac and Trinnov. Trinnov was much better but then much costlier as well. Now I just use lots of passive treatments. The other option I am looking at is the AVAA C20 active bass traps. I also use SCM40s in a smallish (4x4.5m) room

Don't forget any room correction will digitise the analog input, if that bothers you. I have used Dirac and Trinnov. Trinnov was much better but then much costlier as well. Now I just use lots of passive treatments. The other option I am looking at is the AVAA C20 active bass traps. I also use SCM40s in a smallish (4x4.5m) room

I think it does bother me tbh but just considering options. My room is a similar size, been surprised at how hard the SCM40A’s can hit sometimes. I’m not averse to room treatment but there is fairly limited space and it needs to be wife friendly!

Ouch - so £4k if you buy two!

‘it is important to note that — just as with mechanical bass traps — multiple units are required to achieve any significant improvement. One unit on its own isn’t very effective, and I only noticed a significant improvement with two units powered on’

Yes the price tag is what is giving me pause! You can buy a lot of monster bass traps for that. At the moment I have 5 corner traps, 2 monster bass traps and 4 thinner panels. Starting to run out of wall space!

I think it does bother me tbh but just considering options. My room is a similar size, been surprised at how hard the SCM40A’s can hit sometimes. I’m not averse to room treatment but there is fairly limited space and it needs to be wife friendly!

Bothers me too. I switched from Trinnov to Naim because of it. Not sure the LPs sound any more "analogue" with the naim though, just feels more correct!

Thanks Keith. How would it stack up against my Weiss DAC202 do you think?
It won’t sound any different, but it will offer some really useful additional features, superb headphone amp, dynamic loudness etc, just depends if you would make use of those features.
First step is to acoustically measure your room with REW and a microphone so you can see where the issues lie.
Keith

It won’t sound any different, but it will offer some really useful additional features, superb headphone amp, dynamic loudness etc, just depends if you would make use of those features.
First step is to acoustically measure your room with REW and a microphone so you can see where the issues lie.
Keith

You sure it won’t sound any different Keith??

Yes the price tag is what is giving me pause! You can buy a lot of monster bass traps for that. At the moment I have 5 corner traps, 2 monster bass traps and 4 thinner panels. Starting to run out of wall space!
You'll need to layer Monster bass traps in front of each other, or else space them several feet off the wall, if you want to take a significant bite out of room modes below 60Hz! :)

I'm currently in the process of beefing up my bass trapping. As an experiment I turned my corner TriTraps back to front (so that they look like Soffits) and filled the void behind them with wedges of rockwool. This has made a significant improvement to LF absorption with the added bonus of more mid and high frequencies being reflected back into the room (because the back sides of the TriTraps are partially reflective), meaning there's scope to add more treatment elsewhere without making the room too dead-sounding.

l use vinyl and digital sources via a DAC and am wondering what options might be available to me to cover off both sources? Currently not using a preamp as my phono stage and DAC both have adjustable volume so I literally swap over XLR’s on my active speakers.

My speaker’s are ATC SCM40A’s. They sound awesome but on some music, the bass hits too hard in my room. So I am thinking room correction would be a perfect solution.

We've sold Anthem's ATR Pre amplifier to some of our clients who are successfully using STR pre amplifiers their ATC active monitors including SCM40A's. STR Pre Amp incorporates Anthem's stunning proprietary Anthem Room Correction - Genesis. -

https://www.anthemav.com/products-current/model=str-pre-amplifier/page=overview

https://www.anthemarc.com/index.php...n=Anthem Room Correction&utm_content=Redirect

With or without subwoofers Anthem Room Correction - Genesis works a treat with ATC actives :)

Do you want a ready made solution or are you willing to DIY?
What is your budget?
Are you satisfied with 2 main speakers, or would you want to add sub(s) for a 2.1 or 2.2 system?

For starters, I’d recommend the miniDSP SHD with Dirac DRC. Not too expensive and it can be used as a preamp if you don’t need too many inputs.

With any DRC you’ll need a measurement mike and a laptop to set it all up. REW is worth using to check on DRC.

A much less expensive option would be to buy an Anthem or Martin Logan DRC box. They were being cleared out for US$ 200. You’d put this between the output of your preamp and the input to your speakers. They run Anthem Genesis room correction software. No sub outs, however.

Other options are running DRC software on a small computer, or buying a second hand preamp with DRC, e.g. Tact or DEQX.

The Trinnov, albeit expensive, is the best off the shelf DRC system and this one is worth having if the price suits. As a bonus, the optional microphone is included.

Bit off the wall, but it works well for me, kramer xlr switch box to get rid of the lead swapping and a klark teknic dn410 after using rew to set the eq

advertisement

Back