advertisement

Novice: Building HiFi system starting with Yamaha CT 1010...

-Daniel-

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I’d appreciate your views and expertise. I’ll start off by saying I’m pretty much a novice in HiFi stereo equipment. Many years ago, I owned a pair of technics 1200s, a NAD amp and some large Jamos that looked cool to my teenage brain and seemed to do the trick playing bassy music. After moving overseas for over a decade (having previously sold my turntables etc), I’d generally just use a DVD player system or stream via YouTube etc, so well out of the loop in terms of quality audio...

Anyway, I’ve been back in the UK a while, finally have my own home and recently stumbled across an amp that looked cool and cost next to nothing in a junk shop- a Yamaha CA-1010. I bought it on a whim and it is the start of a journey to get a proper HiFi together, to replace my current ‘system’ - a Bluetooth speaker...
Being impressionable, nostalgic and impatient, I’ve taken a second step and picked up a pair of chunky old speakers - Goodman’s Magisters. I should probably have consulted the experts in a forum such as this first but here we are. I hope they’re not totally inappropriate.

My objectives are to build a decent HiFi and making the most of the equipment that I have already, and complementing it with anything else I need.

I’m wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on the amp/speaker combo suitability (assuming I hardly turn the dial up on the amp), any maintenance/mods I should do as a matter of priority, any that would be recommended but not essential, and any other comments or thoughts.

I don’t intend to add phono, tape or cd to this system (having relocated so much I don’t really have any ‘physical’ music) and so am weighing up a DAC/pc or streamer. I’m currently leaning towards a decent streamer. My tastes in music are eclectic so I need something that’ll work well for classical, acoustic, 60s, pop, dance etc. A tall order, I suppose.

Am I on track? I don’t want to spend a fortune on this but equally, don’t want to ‘spoil the ship for a hap’orth of tar’

What should I expect to pay for a recapping/ servicing of both the amp and speakers? Is this something that should be left to the experts or are there accessible resources to help the Inquisitive novice?

Anyway, if you’ve read this far, thank you. Appreciate any thoughts, comments or advice.

Thanks,
Daniel

The Yamaha looks very cool and is / was well thought of but is over 40 years old -

http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-CA-1010.html

It may be fine but it would be a good idea to have it checked and serviced as required by a competent technician.

The Goodmans it seems may be even older ( there is a short thread right here on PFM dating from 2007 which you may like to read - https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/help-with-goodmans-magisters.37924/ ) .

Have you tried to play them together, perhaps using your phone or the headphone output on the TV as a source to make sure they at least 'work' to some degree?

There are far more knowledgeable people here to advise in respect of potential repairs and servicing but if all is well you have the start of a classic system which could be very enjoyable.

Streamer-wise there would be nice symmetry in adding a bang up to date Yamaha Musiccast unit for streaming duties, check them out:) Lot's of other options of course and the suggestion is just because the notion appeals to me - YMMV!

If you post your location someone will (hopefully) know a reliable service facility that isn't too far away should you need one.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response and links. The speakers arrive tomorrow and so I’m throwing the questions out there in anticipation of their arrival. I wouldn’t want to fire them up together if they’re incompatible or be overly disappointed if there’s a few easy tweaks I need to carry out to bring them to life. I’m probably being over cautious. I hadn’t heard of the Yamaha MusicCast, are they any good? I had a quick google and it looks more of a multi-room/device type system, than a top-notch sound system but I just scanned an article quickly. I’m catching up on all the terminology so it makes reading the reviews heavy-going. I’m down in Hastings, East Sussex, if there are any local experts around.

I have the matching tuner though I’m going to sell it to fund my quest to buy some Maggie LRS or .7 speakers. I love it’s looks and sound.

I have the matching tuner though I’m going to sell it to fund my quest to buy some Maggie LRS or .7 speakers. I love it’s looks and sound.

The tuner looks cool too. The radio is probably my most-used medium at the moment but I’m reluctant to get into regular FM radio these days as I get the vibe that it’ll all move (via legislation) to digital eventually. Pity, as I used to have an amazing old, wooden, Sony tuner that could be tuned impeccably with a decent built-in amp. There’s something very appealing about these weighty separates.

I have the matching tuner...I love it’s looks and sound.
Me too. It's a great sounding tuner, isn't it? Very open and clear. The tuners in my CR-1000 and CR-2020 are a little warmer sounding by comparison. I can't decide which I prefer. The ironic thing is I hardly listen to the radio, yet I have a house full of fabulous tuners! o_O

Me too. It's a great sounding tuner, isn't it? Very open and clear. The tuners in my CR-1000 and CR-2020 are a little warmer sounding by comparison. I can't decide which I prefer. The ironic thing is I hardly listen to the radio, yet I have a house full of fabulous tuners! o_O
It’s a lovely tuner but it will be leaving the rack as I am on a quest to reduce my kit. I have now agreed a price for the Maggie LRS and should then have the Yammy 803D, the Clearaudio Emotion and Goldring 1042, the Rotel 965BX CD player and the Maggies.I’m so looking forwards the the end of this transformation.

advertisement

Back