advertisement

Not the usual car engine sounds in a tunnel

THX, the movie? It's terrible. Funny, Lucas is known as a director, he has only directed four films, two of them is rather bad.

THX, the movie? It's terrible. Funny, Lucas is known as a director, he has only directed four films, two of them is rather bad.
I wouldn’t class it as terrible, just ‘of its time’ as I’d said. I found it fascinating.

His 'directors cut' is bad with all of the CGI he added. Bleh.

BTW, the car is a Samos 3 Autojet. Any fule kno' that. 😜

Oh boy oh boy oh boy…

Hybrid F1 engines really do suck, don’t they.
Actually I don't think they do personally. When they changed to them I just thought they sounded different as opposed to worse as most people seemed to think.

I say most, but what that really means is "most people online that didn't like the new sound and so posted about it" which is no proof at all that the majority of people agreed.

Getting to the video was a pain; ad breaks were a pain so I lost interest
And if you'd made it to the video you'd have been greeted with the usual youtube nonsense of an 11 minute long video with 7 minutes of pointless waffle before they actually get to driving the car down the tunnel. 😣

And if you'd made it to the video you'd have been greeted with the usual youtube nonsense of an 11 minute long video with 7 minutes of pointless waffle before they actually get to driving the car down the tunnel. 😣
You can drag the slider to the good bits. Not difficult.

I went to the free practice day at Silverstone in 2014. They sounded shite and silly. Everyone looked disappointed.
One advantage though, you could carry on with conversations with cars on the track, and I’m not exaggerating. They’ve tried to improve the sound since, but removing energy from the exhaust only ends up with one result: a much quieter race car. Not revving as high also results in a quieter engine. And they sound silly, like a baboon with a dodgy stomach letting go into a large cardboard box.

Reactions: gez
PS here's the new one, being taken up Shelsley Walsh, July 2022; why yes, now you mention it - traction does sound & look like a problem... : D

600hp in 650Kg car; 16 cylinders, methanol-fuelled, twin superchargers - and just 1.5litre displacement. Deep joy.

Looks like it's going rather well there :)

Sounds like they managed to sort the misfiring thing - every single vid (and indeed the Nick Mason car soundtrack on the CD that came with his Into the Red book ) that I've seen or heard of the original car(s) has them missing and stuttering.

Often wondered btw if it was the limitations of trying to generate and distribute sparks from a presumably mechanical / points driven ignition system on a timely basis to a 16 cyl engine running up to 12000 rpm ? (Some 1600 of them per second in fact - if my crude calcs. were anywhere close)

You can drag the slider to the good bits. Not difficult.

I went to the free practice day at Silverstone in 2014. They sounded shite and silly. Everyone looked disappointed.
One advantage though, you could carry on with conversations with cars on the track, and I’m not exaggerating. They’ve tried to improve the sound since, but removing energy from the exhaust only ends up with one result: a much quieter race car. Not revving as high also results in a quieter engine. And they sound silly, like a baboon with a dodgy stomach letting go into a large cardboard box.
I've never actually been to a car race, back in the days when I was motivated enough to actually go to motor races, cars weren't my thing, so to be honest my opinion is purely from hearing F1 on TV (and also the occassions I've heard Ferraris etc on the street and on track days). I do recall being rather shocked during a race of single cylinder motorbikes though. The noise and smell I was used to from other races I'd been to, but this particular race also added being able to feel the bikes passing through the ground. It was a weird experience.

I've never actually been to a car race, back in the days when I was motivated enough to actually go to motor races, cars weren't my thing, so to be honest my opinion is purely from hearing F1 on TV (and also the occassions I've heard Ferraris etc on the street). I do recall being rather shocked during a race of single cylinder motorbikes though. The noise and smell I was used to from other races I'd been to, but this particular race also added being able to feel the bikes passing through the ground. It was a weird experience.
Get thee to Santa Pod for a big meeting. Not so many Top Fuel cars and bikes, but honestly just hearing one will do. No exaggeration: they register on the Richter scale. Nothing in the world prepares you for it, nothing at all. And as for seeing a car doing 330mph…

Not so many Top Fuel cars and bikes, but honestly just hearing one will do. No exaggeration: they register on the Richter scale. Nothing in the world prepares you for it, nothing at all.
Yep - serious violence involved.
You can come away with interesting trinkets as a result - such as this bent intake valve; 62mm / 2.5" dia valve head; pint for scale. I bought this for use as a £5 paperweight from a team's 'charity -box of broken things' at Santa Pod 3yrs ago, and since it seems to be titanium - it's not much use in that role at all...

Heaven-knows what this cost new, and tossed after one run. If I can visit again I'm going to hold-out for most-of- a-conrod ;)

IMG_7951_sfx_600px.jpg

Last edited:
Get thee to Santa Pod for a big meeting. Not so many Top Fuel cars and bikes, but honestly just hearing one will do. No exaggeration: they register on the Richter scale. Nothing in the world prepares you for it, nothing at all. And as for seeing a car doing 330mph…

Seconded! If you are the least interested in motor cars, you must have experienced a drag race.

Current F1 engines? I think it was the Tv transmission from last years race in Mexico. The camera was moving around in the pit. Suddenly some one started a chain saw. What? A chain saw in F1? Some kind o f motorized fan? Couldn't see it, though. After a number of seconds it dawned on me. It was an F1 engine...

Yep - serious violence involved.
You can come away with interesting trinkets as a result - such as this bent intake valve; 62mm / 2.5" dia valve head; pint for scale. I bought this for use as a £5 paperweight from a team's 'charity -box of broken things' at Santa Pod 3yrs ago, and since it seems to be titanium - it's not much use in that role at all...

Heaven-knows what this cost new, and tossed after one run. If I can visit again I'm going to hold-out for most-of- a-conrod ;)

IMG_7951_sfx_600px.jpg
I have most of a conrod that an Alfa Romeo boxer engine spat out. Well, it's an Alfa. You keep your AA membership up to date.

One of my go-to videos when I’m trying to explain the Top Fuel experience

And they’ve more power now!

They used to do drag racing at Blackbushe Airport in Surrey, although I don't think they've done so for many years. We went along a couple of times & IIRC they were all American dragsters. Bloody noisy, and I guess I'm a bit odd but I've never enjoyed the sound of noisy car exhausts.

They used to do drag racing at Blackbushe Airport in Surrey, although I don't think they've done so for many years. We went along a couple of times & IIRC they were all American dragsters. Bloody noisy, and I guess I'm a bit odd but I've never enjoyed the sound of noisy car exhausts.
But everyone who enjoys any for of motorsport should go at least once. It’s so different to all other motorsport, and afterwards, standing along the Hangar Straight at Silverstone, I wondered when the F1 cars were going to speed up. Completely changed my perception.

advertisement

Back