advertisement

Not the usual car engine sounds in a tunnel

Tony Lockhart

Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity
Oh boy oh boy oh boy…

Hybrid F1 engines really do suck, don’t they.

Getting to the video was a pain; ad breaks were a pain so I lost interest.

If the point is that old engines sound more attractive (subjective), louder (undoubtedly) and were therefore better, that is a very limited definition of better.

By any realistic assessment of power, reliability, and efficiency, old engines suck big time...

If the point is that old engines sound more attractive (subjective), louder (undoubtedly) and were therefore better, that is a very limited definition of better.

By any realistic assessment of power, reliability, and efficiency, old engines suck big time...
Yeah, because proper racing fans, rather than celebrity spotters, really want to see reliable and economical engines parading around boring tracks.

Thankfully you’ve just reminded me why you’re on my ignore list.

I bet the smell of Castrol R does not give you a thrill.

Yeah, because proper racing fans, rather than celebrity spotters, really want to see reliable and economical engines parading around boring tracks.

Thankfully you’ve just reminded me why you’re on my ignore list.
If I am on your ignore list, how do you reply so quickly?

Modern engines, in any vehicle, smack the arse of any old engine in every way.

Historic racing fans know this.

I bet the smell of Castrol R does not give you a thrill.
I have been following motorsport, in all its guises, since the early 70s. I have seen the progression in engine, suspension, tyre and safety technology at all levels of the sport.

My point, which was clearly made, is that I believe the loudness of an engine is no objective measure of performance - in fact, the louder the engine the more power is being wasted.

If people - Tony Lockhart e.g. - rates noise above everything else then good for him. Why he thinks I must agree (or not disagree) is a mystery.

I think we were just amicably teasing and joking; I'm sure no criticism was intended by anyone.
I'm sure modern engines are more efficient and cleaner, but perhaps less of the "unleashed beast" about them.
Apropos of nothing, I've just been reading about the 1955 Mille Miglia. Moss won at an average speed of 157.something KPH, which included stops for fuel and tyres. I've driven on most of those roads and I can't believe how they did it! They must have gone at 300 KPH on the straights, the straights being 8 meter wide country highways with trees and stone walls and ditches along the sides. Apparently they took amphetamine pills of some kind.

I have been following motorsport, in all its guises, since the early 70s. I have seen the progression in engine, suspension, tyre and safety technology at all levels of the sport.

My point, which was clearly made, is that I believe the loudness of an engine is no objective measure of performance - in fact, the louder the engine the more power is being wasted.

If people - Tony Lockhart e.g. - rates noise above everything else then good for him. Why he thinks I must agree (or not disagree) is a mystery.
I just like the very throaty sounds, engines and exhausts like that make. Which is one of the reasons I prefer classics.

Each to their own I suppose

Oh boy oh boy oh boy…

Hybrid F1 engines really do suck, don’t they.
My Utter-favourite savage thing - TG are pulling their punches heavily on the tunnel recordings though, going nowhere near full chat - when it's so bloody loud - it's better in open air! Hear it in open air at a distance to get the full integrated howl& ringing-singing noise: headphones recommended (7mins; if 2m00 - 2m40 doesn't utterly move you - you're listening to the wrong thread) :)

PS here's the new one, being taken up Shelsley Walsh, July 2022; why yes, now you mention it - traction does sound & look like a problem... : D

600hp in 650Kg car; 16 cylinders, methanol-fuelled, twin superchargers - and just 1.5litre displacement. Deep joy.

My Utter-favourite savage thing - TG are pulling their punches heavily on the tunnel recordings though, going nowhere near full chat - when it's so bloody loud - it's better in open air! Hear it in open air at a distance to get the full integrated howl& ringing-singing noise: headphones recommended (7mins:)

PS here's the new one, being taken up Shelsley Walsh, July 2022; why yes, now you mention it - traction does sound & look like a problem... : D

600hp; 16 cylinders, methanol-fuelled, twin superchargers - and just 1.5litre displacement. Deep joy.
Oh I’ve heard them twice, I know. :)

Modern engines, in any vehicle, smack the arse of any old engine in every way.

Historic racing fans know this.
No; you could not (-as ever, being the permanent Greatest Enduring Fixed Miserableness capable of Zero Aesthetic Appreciation, of the whole of pfm: a title you;ve held +20yrs) be more wrong.

ps dont worry - I've already reported this, my own post ;)

No; you could not (-as ever, being the permanent Greatest Enduring Fixed Miserableness capable of Zero Aesthetic Appreciation, of the whole of pfm: a title you;ve held +20yrs) be more wrong.

ps dont worry - I've already reported this, my own post ;)
If I dared to share the depths my miserableness can plumb...no, best not to go there.

Aesthetics are subjective, so I am always correct in that regard.

I live about 4 miles form Shelsley so know (and love) the sound and smell of old engines. But in any objective comparison with modern technology, they lose.

Good morning all,

At 126.6dB the woman should be using hearing protection...........

I am a 'petrolhead' BUT the McMurtry is impressive as was the Volkswagen I.D R..............

Regards

Richard

I think we were just amicably teasing and joking; I'm sure no criticism was intended by anyone.
I'm sure modern engines are more efficient and cleaner, but perhaps less of the "unleashed beast" about them.
Apropos of nothing, I've just been reading about the 1955 Mille Miglia. Moss won at an average speed of 157.something KPH, which included stops for fuel and tyres. I've driven on most of those roads and I can't believe how they did it! They must have gone at 300 KPH on the straights, the straights being 8 meter wide country highways with trees and stone walls and ditches along the sides. Apparently they took amphetamine pills of some kind.
According to Moss book 'Stirling Moss's Book of Motor Sport' they where not allowed to stop for drinks by the very enthusiastic Italian public. 'Forsa, Forsa, you are leading, you can't stop now!' That probably helped keeping the average speed up ;)

advertisement

Back