advertisement

Not just another speaker build.

Fatmarley

"It appears my intelligence circuits have melted"
I've not long finished a speaker project, but with lots of time to think and boredom setting in, I'm already thinking about my next build.
The last speakers I built (10" 2-way with Eminence pro-audio woofers) worked out so well (sound quality wise at least) that I now hope I'm qualified enough to give something back to PFM. So why not just give details of the last build? Two reasons - It wouldn't be easy to recreate the curved sides, and I had to push the tweeter very low to achieve the frequency response I wanted, and as a result they probably won't go very loud playing certain tracks that have a lot of energy around 500hz to 800hz (they seem fine at the volumes I play at though)- The Wavecore TWO30WA12 is an amazing tweeter!

Big woofers / midbass drivers just sound more real to me. It's the same with compression drivers. Soft dome tweeters just don't have the same dynamics and energy of a good CD. The biggest I've built so far is with a 10" woofer... But It's now time to up the game!

First thoughts were about designing a budget 15" 3-way In a large 100 to 150ltr Sealed box, with the 15" Peerless FSL-1520R02-08 bass driver. It can be had for an amazingly low price of only £32! The Peerless FSL-0818R01-08 8" midrange is only £21, the Monacor DT-300 tweeter £22, and it's WG-300 Waveguide is about £8. Looking at simulations this would give a similar bass response to the old JPW AP3 (28ltr Sealed 8" woofer), but with a 15" you're really going to feel that punch. Problem is, I'm the one who's going to have to live with these speakers and I know I'd soon be thinking of upgrading them to higher quality drivers - so the current thinking is a much more upmarket 15" 2-way in a smaller cabinet of around 90ltrs. Baffle dimensions roughly - 16" x 36"

Due to the size, these speakers are obviously going to weigh a ton if I build them out of MDF. This will make dragging them outside for measurements very difficult, so I think I'll have to build them out of tile backing, foam-core like my current ones. They'll still be heavy because of the drivers though and the biggest challenge will be the large difference in acoustic centres (crossover will be difficult to get good phase alignment)... Not sure how I'm going to make them WAF friendly though. Maybe some laminate like the stuff they use for kitchen worktop edging? Or faux leather?

Drivers:

For the big 15" woofer - I'm thinking about the Beyma 15P80FeN, partly because I can achieve an f3 of 47hz in a not unreasonably sized 80ltr enclosure (extended bass shelf), but also because of the very a powerful motor (Qes 0.19!) reasonable QMS, and relatively low MMS, so should sound clean, fast and dynamic with serious punch. CMS is a bit higher than most pro audio drivers (that's a good thing) so hopefully it'll sound ok at low volume (it's no Tannoy though :( ).

For the tweeter - I'm looking at the 18Sound ND1460A compression driver on the 18Sound XT1464 horn - mainly because I've seen independent measurements and it looks quite smooth and extended, and also because it's capable of crossing very low (around 700hz should be fine). According to what I've read, these aluminium drivers are smoother sounding than titanium. Unfortunately, most drivers of this size that have plastic diaphragms seem to roll off early (At least all the FaitalPro ones I looked at do). If I find I'm not happy with the highest frequencies, I could low-pass the ND1460A and add a super tweeter on top of the cabinet. I'm not expecting anyone to rush out and spend £900+ on drivers etc when they don't know what they sound like (I wouldn't trust me either). But maybe if someone wants to come and listen, or if there's an enthusiast show somewhere, perhaps I'll take them. This is all assuming they turn out to my liking obviously... Done properly, I can't see them being anything less than bloody impressive. Doubt the girlfriend will be happy though :)

I often think up speaker designs and then change my mind, so this isn't set in concrete, just my rambling thoughts...

Hi Fatmarley,

It sounds like an interesting project :D
If you don't mind I will add to your thoughts Visaton (I think they have been mentioned across the forum). They have some excellent drivers and designs.

Keep us updated and stay safe
Ivelin

Last edited:
Hi Fatmarley,

It sounds like an interesting project :D
If you don't mind I will add to your thoughts Visaton (I think they have been mentioned across the forum). They have some excellent drivers and designs.

Keep us updated and stay safe
Ivelin

Hi Ivelin,

I have looked at Visaton drivers, and although they have some good ones, there's nothing that competes with the 15" Beyma for what I want.

The WLM La Scala uses Visaton drivers, and It's supposed to be a nice sounding design.

15" Bass with a 2" Tweeter - that could be 'interesting' to integrate properly.

Not just the frequency range. A 15" trying to get 700Hz out alongside a 2" tweeter? The contrasting radiation patterns at the crossover region is perhaps going to be tough to live with. I can surmise that overly prominent Bass is going to be overriding impression in the finished article.

15" Bass with a 2" Tweeter - that could be 'interesting' to integrate properly.

Not just the frequency range. A 15" trying to get 700Hz out alongside a 2" tweeter? The contrasting radiation patterns at the crossover region is perhaps going to be tough to live with. I can surmise that overly prominent Bass is going to be overriding impression in the finished article.

The tweeter is actually 3" but with a 1.4" throat.

You are correct that the directivity match could be a problem, but it seemed to work out ok 'here' with a bit of adjustment to the crossover / frequency response. Also, the dispersion of a 15" should match this CD / horn better than a 10" (at the same 700hz crossover frequency, that is), so In theory it should work better. The Beyma looks to have quite a smooth response compared to the hard coned drivers that were used in the Raptor, so I should have more room for adjustment in my chosen crossover frequency. Breakup looks to be around 2khz (assuming the datasheet is correct), and it doesn't look that bad, with only about a 4db peak, compared to the huge dip, then peak of the metal coned Seas woofer.

Lots of speakers (probably most actually) are badly matched when it comes to the off-axis response of the woofer compared to that of the tweeter at the crossover frequency. It just means you have to adjust the frequency response to subjectively make it work - but I'm hoping I won't have to do that, or much of it at least.

It should be relatively straightforward to match LF/HF polars at 7-800hz, bread n butter to Westlake, JBL, Tannoy etc ;-)
Pro drivers are often superb. Vance Dickason on his 15"+comp ;
"However thanks to Radian’s generosity, the 2” 950PB samples from the November 2014 issue ended up in a far-field monitor that I designed for my home recording studio. These, of course, have the same aluminum alloy diaphragm as the 745PB. The cabinets were built by my friend and Triad’s chief engineer David Nelson, and utilized a B&C Speakers 15BG100 15” neodymium motor woofer with a NBR surround, an Eighteen Sound XR2064C 60° × 40° 2” throat cast-aluminum horn, and a high-performance passive network that included Goertz foil inductors, Jantzen capacitors, and Mundorf M-Resist resistors.

More rambling thoughts...

I think the sensible option would be to sit the horn on top of the cabinet. The difference in acoustic centres with the Raptor MTM was about 10", so although a 15" will be less, it won't be much less (maybe 8" at a guess) - It could make passive crossover design incredibly difficult. In theory, if I sit the horn on top, I could adjust the horn back and forth until I achieve a perfect phase match whilst using a symmetrical crossover (or asymmetrical If I choose).

Just need to think of a way to fix it on top, so it's stable whilst being moved around for measurements, but is also easily adjustable...

I see that 18 sound horn cut off is 500hz, which kinda goes against the 2x crossover rule of thumb ie will 800 hz be a bit low?

I see that 18 sound horn cut off is 500hz, which kinda goes against the 2x crossover rule of thumb ie will 800 hz be a bit low?

I may have to use an asymmetrical crossover, with a steep slope on the tweeter to get it to work.

How about an open baffle to compete against Troels Gravesen's OBL-15s? I built a pair for a friend and there is something special about open baffles.

How about an open baffle to compete against Troels Gravesen's OBL-15s? I built a pair for a friend and there is something special about open baffles.

I'd consider it If I had the room.

Here's a quote from Troels regarding the sound of his open baffle speakers - "Well, the OBL-11 was sold a few years ago (space issue) and I'd forgotten what a 15" on an open baffle does. I knew it was good, but that good? Frankly, the bass performance beats any other construction on these pages regardless of price. None of my other speakers even comes close to this. Listening to Niels Henning Ørsted Pedersen on This Is All I Ask, track four, "Just In Time", and you'll know what I mean. The articulation in lower registers is phenomenal and overall dynamics scary. This is close to what an upright bass should sound like. Even the best 10-inch driver in a reflex/closed box will never be able to deliver such detail and transient response. Never! Price to pay is size...
The sax solo by Phil Woods (track 7) has never sounded better in my living room than on these OBLs. Full-bodied and vibrant as ever
."

It's about time you dusted off your measurement gear. Your last build must have been years ago.

It's about time you dusted off your measurement gear. Your last build must have been years ago.
My excuse is LSPCad doesn't work on a Mac, which I've migrated to about 8 years ago. The E-X was my last original design, which was built about 9 years ago.

I often think up speaker designs and then change my mind, so this isn't set in concrete, just my rambling thoughts...

Nearly a year later, and all the drivers are finally here, just not any of the ones I mentioned :)

It's now a 3-way with a 12" bass driver. The GF is going away in a month, so that's when I'll start...

"I often think up speaker designs and then change my mind, so this isn't set in concrete, just my rambling thoughts..."

all part of the iterative process, a good thing. Set in concrete, not so good :eek:

advertisement

Back