advertisement

Nostalgia

On the topic of Nostalgia I tend to hanker after kit that I could not buy back in the day and may never own, like the Garrard 401, a giant Marantz, Pioneer or Sansui receiver or a pair of Celestion 66 loudspeakers.
There are a few systems I demo'd back in the day that were above my budget then but I'd love to re-create now. One example was a Krell integrated driving Sonus Faber Concertino's (I'm part way there as I have a Krell integrated now and am on the lookout for a set of Concertinos). Another one was a system that had an Audio Research pre-amp and power-amp into some big Martin Logan electrostatics - that sounded sublime.

We were in the shop demoing much cheaper kit but those were set-up as well so we had a listen to them. We ended up buying a rather more prosaic Naim system a NAC92R and NAP90 into Credos. I still have the Credos but the amps are long gone.

Some of my early CD players were the CDI and then the CDS. I am not nostalgic about them. They sounded fine but now I can't be sure that they were really that much better than some of the competition. I love to love them (Naim CD players are my favorites) but they were plagued by the nextel layer wearing off the platter, which rendered them susceptible to the CD slipping. I don't think there was any reliable solution to this issue. I don't want to have to deal with one of these players today.

I could sell you one with remote and manual😀

Nice thought. Appreciated.

Sadly, I had to dispose of 3,000 or so mint CDs, when we migrated from New Zealand to China.

With only 30 or so CDs left in our possession - and a perfectly good REGA APOLLO 35TH ANNIVERSAY SE (WOLFSON) player in storage, awaiting our 5-year-old's coming of age - I doubt we will be buying another CD-player anytime soon.

Besides, my MISSION DAD 7000 disappeared long before we acquired our LP12. I can't imagine the MISSION would have stood much chance against the original LP12 - let alone our tricked-out LP12 hot-rod.

Still, the memories remain rose-tinted... 😍

I just missed out on an AVI lab series amp.... I remember lusting after on as a kid reading What HIFI at school.. I think they were £1000 or 1500 at the time.... the one I missed was only £350!

I had a Mission PCM7000 as my second player ever. I quite liked it - first player I had with a remote (even had remote volume).

Think it was first priced at £599 but fairly soon discounted to £399 (when I bought it).

The best thing about it was the huge track number display (which could easily be read across the room).

My first CD Player was a Technics SLP-200A (after that an Arcam Alpha 5, upgraded it to a 6 later - then added a DPA Little Bit DAC).

In the US, Philips CD players were sold under the Magnavox name. My first was the Magnavox equivalent of a Philips CD150, I can't remember the Magnavox model number. It looked like this internet picture:

FD1041.jpg

Did you ever try your pcm 7000 as a transport?
I wouldn't compare any of my cd players with my linn record players..my cartridges cost more than the cd players did lol
I had the PCM7000 in the late 80s, well before standalone DACs became fashionable. I traded it for a Musical Fidelity CDT, which sounded a bit more analogue - thanks to its triode output stage.

The first CDP that didn't make me feel CDs are a poor media cousin to vinyl was the Densen B-400XS. Even the mighty Naim CDS2/XPS before it kept me looking for vinyl copies of new music, which were scarce in the early noughties.

In the US, Philips CD players were sold under the Magnavox name. My first was the Magnavox equivalent of a Philips CD150, I can't remember the Magnavox model number. It looked like this internet picture:

logo128.png
Yup, that looks just like my Philips CD150, it still works too!

My first CD player was a Technics SL-P3, that was traded in a few years later for an Arcam Alpha, which in turn was swapped out for a Linn Mimik. I still have the Mimik, but it’s not in a system at the moment, that was swapped out for a Naim cd5 Si, I know but it was all there was available at the time (mid 2021) I was after a moon but nothing was about, and Rega being top loading wouldn’t have worked in my rack, so it is what it is until it conks out.

advertisement

Back