advertisement

Nostalgia

snaphappybob

pfm Member
On a whim I decided to buy what was the first CD player I had ever owned .
After a quick skim of eBay I found a Marantz CD273se which I won for the princely sum of £40.
Originally I had the non se version around 1986 but this one looked in great condition so took a punt and so it proved to be.
Apart from dusty circuit boards it looks like a new cd player and came with the original manual and sealed 2 year guarantee envelope.
So what does it sound like? In short it sounds fantastic! All of my recent upgrades have been Amp related and the system sounds better with every upgrade but I have to question the 'source first' view of building the system. I have been running a Sony CDP-710 (also an elderly piece of kit using the TDA1541 dac) upgraded by Mike Pickwell and I am stunned as to just how close the Marantz is in terms of sound quality.
I thought it may just be nostalgia playing its tricks but now I'm intrigued about other players I've owned in the past.
I may start a collection if I can find decent condition machines at reasonable prices.
Next on the list; Mission DAD5

R-C.8f590b0f37db72e838f35082e078dd10

My first CD-player was a brand new MISSION DAD 7000.

(NOT mine, pictured above!)

I still miss it… 😭

Yamaha CDX4 for me.

Nice enough but no desire to get another.

If I were to go nostalgic, it would be for a Linn Karik which had the nicest drawer of all.
But I no longer actually play the physical discs...

The first CD player I owned was a Rotel RCD965BX. A really nice player IMO. I’ve had a few pass through over the years and it never sounds anything less than good. Very reliable players too, I get the impression most still work now. One of the more interesting comparisons was against a Naim CDX I’d paid quite a lot of money for. In many ways I preferred the Rotel. Probably on anything that wasn’t HDCD encoded (the Naim could do it, the Rotel couldn’t).

My first proper CDP was a Marantz CD75TB. In its day a decent looking machine and I was very happy with its sonic abilities.

If the OP's 273 stands up now I'm sure the 75 would also.

The item I have returned to is a Manticore Mantra. Had mine while a current model and picked up another more than ten years ago. Same finish too, mahogany.

cd-75.JPG

Not mine

95e12733e19214c0cd76863bffbe0da1.jpg

Again, not mine

My first CDP was a Marantz CD63KI. As soon as I got it home I realised it was a big mistake- bright and harsh!
Fortunately the dealer allowed me to change it for an Arcam Alpha+, with the cash difference. The Arcam still works 30 odd years later, at a pals house.

All my CDPs, including the fabled Cambridge Audio CD2 are beaten by Pi with DAC. I won’t be revisiting CDPs.

My first hi-fi CD player was an Arcam Alpha 1, used with an Alpha 5+ amp and Mission 733 speakers.

Still got all those bits (although not the Project turntable which was purchased at the same time) and all still work.

Heybrook HB2 loudspeakers, which were my first HiFi speakers. Despite their limitations they were, at least to my ears a good start.

On the topic of Nostalgia I tend to hanker after kit that I could not buy back in the day and may never own, like the Garrard 401, a giant Marantz, Pioneer or Sansui receiver or a pair of Celestion 66 loudspeakers.

My first was a Sony CDP-X555ES in champagne with wood covers. Traded it in against a Naim CDI. Then came loads of other players, although I think none of them was better than the CDI.

I had a Mission PCM7000. It sounded bloody awful compared to my LP12. I don't miss it at all.
I still have a mission pcm 7000 and compared to my modern cd players, it sounds very good indeed..just smells a bit odd?
Did you ever try your pcm 7000 as a transport?
I wouldn't compare any of my cd players with my linn record players..my cartridges cost more than the cd players did lol

On a whim I decided to buy what was the first CD player I had ever owned .
After a quick skim of eBay I found a Marantz CD273se which I won for the princely sum of £40.
Originally I had the non se version around 1986 but this one looked in great condition so took a punt and so it proved to be.
Apart from dusty circuit boards it looks like a new cd player and came with the original manual and sealed 2 year guarantee envelope.
So what does it sound like? In short it sounds fantastic! All of my recent upgrades have been Amp related and the system sounds better with every upgrade but I have to question the 'source first' view of building the system. I have been running a Sony CDP-710 (also an elderly piece of kit using the TDA1541 dac) upgraded by Mike Pickwell and I am stunned as to just how close the Marantz is in terms of sound quality.
I thought it may just be nostalgia playing its tricks but now I'm intrigued about other players I've owned in the past.
I may start a collection if I can find decent condition machines at reasonable prices.
Next on the list; Mission D
R-C.8f590b0f37db72e838f35082e078dd10

My first CD-player was a brand new MISSION DAD 7000.

(NOT mine, pictured above!)

I still miss it… 😭
I could sell you one with remote and manual😀

I keep my first decent cd player which is a Sony machine..it sounds ropey compared to my decent cd players but I remember I liked it once..with my MF B1 and a pair of ,B&M speakers..still got the B1 somewhere

I could sell you one with remote and manual😀
Pm me...if it's reasonable cost..this is my 2nd pcm 7000 - the first one fell out of loft! I shouldn't have left it so close to hatch..someone ( not me ) inadvertently kicked it grrrr...and my 2nd pcm 7000 co ax doesn't work so I can't use it as a transport...

advertisement

Back