advertisement

Norfolk, Suffolk visitor recommendations, logistics.

Does the Ipswich Museum still have the large display of terrible Victorian taxidermy? Worth going in there just for the experience.
No idea. And, funnily enough, after visiting Whitby museum, we avoid any that have a large number of stuffed animals if possible. I just can’t see the point of them being on display.

Thetford and Haverhill are well worth a visit for post war council estates if youre missing Glasgow. Alternatively, you could always seek out Liz Truss in west Norfolk or take a day trip to the misnomered Great Yarmouth if you have an urge to defile your body with a tattoo or a bout of chlamydia. Enjoy.

Last edited:
No idea. And, funnily enough, after visiting Whitby museum, we avoid any that have a large number of stuffed animals if possible. I just can’t see the point of them being on display.
Despite living there for 7 years, I never went to Whitby Museum. Sounds like I didn’t miss much.

Cheers BB

Highly recommend the Maids Head hotel in Norwich next to the cathedral, claimed to be the oldest in the country. We have stayed many times with my son studying there for 4 years are returning soon for his graduation. Great parking right in the centre and they will give you a ride in their vintage open top Bentley to see the town by car.

Ipswich

Ipswich transport museum
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Briarbank brewing company
Christchurch Park
The Spreadeagle pub

kept us busy for a day and a half, pleasant place. Had a quick day trip to Colchester on the train.

Thetford and Haverhill are well worth a visit for post war council estates if youre missing Glasgow. Alternatively, you could always seek out Liz Truss in west Norfolk or take a day trip to the misnomered Great Yarmouth if you have an urge to defile your body with a tattoo or a bout of chlamydia. Enjoy.

Grimes Graves is near Thetford I think reopening - a neolithic flint mine, you can descend into the mines

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/grimes-graves-prehistoric-flint-mine/

I live just inside Norfolk (on the Norfolk/Cambridgeshire border)... I have done a fair bit of travelling around Norfolk since I came here in 2018 and while it's all very nice (countryside/coastline) it is difficult to get around as the roads here make the rest of the UK look like the most advanced nation on Earth, there's truly woeful public transport and frankly the scenery is bloody boring... no hills... no drama. I love my property, but wish it was in Yorkshire or somewhere with more character... I'd go somewhere else is what I'm saying :D

I live just inside Norfolk (on the Norfolk/Cambridgeshire border)... I have done a fair bit of travelling around Norfolk since I came here in 2018 and while it's all very nice (countryside/coastline) it is difficult to get around as the roads here make the rest of the UK look like the most advanced nation on Earth, there's truly woeful public transport and frankly the scenery is bloody boring... no hills... no drama. I love my property, but wish it was in Yorkshire or somewhere with more character... I'd go somewhere else is what I'm saying :D
It's to try & discourage them forrriners from Suffolk gettin' across the border bor!

Some here might agree with a few of your points. The Public Transport is woeful and the road network can be challenging but the landscape lends itself to Zen like contemplation; it has a quiet beauty all of its own.

Christ… even a recently fertilised egg will know the landscape there is ‘challenging’ to like. 20 miles will do it.

advertisement

Back