advertisement

Norfolk, Suffolk visitor recommendations, logistics.

TheDecameron

Unicorns fart glitter.
For the second leg of my “great cathedrals of England” road trip, we will be driving down the east side of the country in June. We are sorted as far as Lincoln and considered staying in Elly, doing Norwich by train and out again. This might be the wrong way round.

We want visit the above plus Aldeburgh, Sutton Hoo, Ipswich if possible. We have about a week down there so looking for insight into an efficient itinerary and any accommodation and dining recommendations people might have.

and considered staying in Elly, doing Norwich by train and out again. This might be the wrong way round.
Well, Ely is nice but small, yet Norwich, incl. the cathedral (and much less so the Catholic one) is vast. If cathedrals are your main course, the unparalleled number of churches in Norwich would serve as subsidiary pursuits. Also, of course, it's a big retail area with market and castle and lots of history. Suggest B&B around Thorpe St. Andrew (quite a few), and River Green, 2.5 miles from City centre and with plenty of buses, is a nice spot with the Rushcutters alongside the Wentsum plus the ubiquitous old church.

Easy access to any compass direction incl. Suffolk (though why you'd want to visit Ipswich is beyond me)

Last edited:
Bury St Edmunds is probably the nicest larger town in Suffolk, has plenty of history, the smallest pub in the UK and a reasonable record shop. Ipswich, on the other hand, is not great in my opinion.

Mellis Common (where I dwell) is lovely and apparently the largest Common in England. The only pub (The Railway Tavern-https://what3words.com/webcams.jumbled.screeches) is great but they only have food on Friday evenings (Fish and other things) and Sunday lunchtime (various burgers from about 1:00-4:00). Worth checking out if you are travelling down the A140 or A143 on a Sunday lunchtime.

The seaside resorts are best visited in bad weather otherwise they are heaving.

Sutton Hoo is definitely worth a visit.

Last edited:
If it is a Cathedral tour don't miss Peterborough Cathedral which is supposed to have the best west front in Europe. I come from Peterborough [although I've not been there for over a decade] and I wouldn't recommend staying there.

If it is a Cathedral tour don't miss Peterborough Cathedral which is supposed to have the best west front in Europe. I come from Peterborough [although I've not been there for over a decade] and I wouldn't recommend staying there.

If Dec is coming down from Lincs, I would recommend stopping at Crowland Abbey on the way down.

The Bull Hotel in Peterborough is OK but yeah, I wouldn't recommend a night out there.

Yes! That’s a stop on the way from Lincoln

Well, Ely is nice but small, yet Norwich (incl. the cathedral (and much less so the Catholic one) is vast. If cathedrals are your main course, the unparalleled number of churches in Norwich would serve as subsidiary pursuits. Also, of course, it's a big retail area with market and castle and lots of history. Suggest B&B around Thorpe St. Andrew (quite a few), where River Green, 2.5 miles from City centre and plenty of buses, is a nice spot with the Rushcutters alongside the Wentsum.

Easy access to any compass direction incl. Suffolk (though why you'd want to visit Ipswich is beyond me)

Ely cathedral is small, or Ely itself? If Norwich cathedral is larger I need to pop over for a mosey round.

Been to Ely cathedral a couple of times, lovely view from the tower and the Almonry cafe is a beautiful spot on a nice day.

Ely cathedral is small, or Ely itself? If Norwich cathedral is larger I need to pop over for a mosey round.
No, just Ely, though I've no idea about the relatives sizes of their cathedrals; I'd be surprised if Norwich wasn't bigger or at least closer to God with a taller spire. :)

Yes! That’s a stop on the way from Lincoln
While the cathedral in Lincoln is rightly the main attraction, if you have the time while you're inside take a look at the 'table for the nation', a wonderful, deceptively simple looking 13 metre table made of 5,000 year old bog oak, dug out of the fens a decade or so ago, standing on a bronze base. A modern piece of craftsmanship.

I can’t think of any reason to visit Ipswich.

If you’ve a particular ‘attraction’ you’d like to visit, ok, go. The marina area is ok, nice bars etc. but the town erm, isn’t pleasant.

Some villages are worth at least passing through: Lavenham, Long Melford, Kersey, Boxford.

The Abbey Gardens in Bury St Ed’s are worth a wander, as is the town centre nearest to it.

Keep away from Stowmarket.

I’ll keep the rest of my little secrets out of this thread, hehe. Don’t want that London turning up en masse!

Ely is a lovely cathedral - “The Ship of the Fens”, the only UK building to be listed as one of the 'Seven Wonders of the Middle Ages'.

Norwich cathedral's well worth a visit, but you must go to Bury St. Edmunds. The cathedral itself is perhaps not as dramatic as some others, but the ancient ruins of the abbey & surrounds are wonderful, and the town itself is lovely. Ipswich seems to get a bad press, but it's got merit; the area around the waterfront is very nice, & there are some lovely old buildings in the town.

We live halfway betwixt Ipswich & Bury St. Edmunds, & if you're in the area you'd be very welcome to pop in for refreshments!

advertisement

Back