advertisement

Norfolk Audio shops

Thanks, but living in Norfolk is not a prerequisite. I would suggest east rather than west Norfolk but I'm sure others may disagree. ;) Norwich really IS 'A Fine City'. (Its trademark cachet on signs as you approach).

Let me wave a flag for unfashionable West Norfolk!
Real world house prices; quicker trains to Ely, Cambridge and London than Norwich; easier access to the national road system than Norwich; only 1/2hr from the north coast and you don’t have to put up with grockles logjamming the roads; your gaff won’t fall into the sea next week, unlike the east coast.

There are two hifi dealers in East Anglia, Signals and the other one.

The other one is Basically Sound, also a good dealer.

Real world house prices; quicker trains to Ely, Cambridge and London than Norwich; easier access to the national road system than Norwich; only 1/2hr from the north coast and you don’t have to put up with grockles logjamming the roads; your gaff won’t fall into the sea next week, unlike the east coast.
One word: KingsLynn

Awful place.

One word: KingsLynn

Awful place.
I am about 35 mins from KL. For many of us up here Norwich is too far for a " quick" shopping trip so KL it is. It's like any old port town that has had its share of 1970s architecture bolted on to the outer parts of the town. The centre has the usual gradually declining retail experience. However it does have a good market once a week and the old town itself has some lovely buildings from the ports time in the Hanseatic league.
It's also got two good pubs in the town square and a second hand record shop. It's not terribly pretty I grant you but I quite like the way it tries hard plus unlike Norwich you can actually park there easily.

I am about 35 mins from KL. ...

I'm a bit further, but still handy enough given I live in the middle of nowhere, especially for the Corn Exchange, which is a great venue for live music and comedy. Not too much wrong with KL that isn't wrong with most of Britain's neglected and underloved small towns.

Getting two for the price of one here!

Sitting on the fence watching east & west fight it out, it’s like one of those American rap turf wars…..

Keep it coming, picking up some good bits n pieces :)

I am about 35 mins from KL. For many of us up here Norwich is too far for a " quick" shopping trip so KL it is. It's like any old port town that has had its share of 1970s architecture bolted on to the outer parts of the town. The centre has the usual gradually declining retail experience. However it does have a good market once a week and the old town itself has some lovely buildings from the ports time in the Hanseatic league.
It's also got two good pubs in the town square and a second hand record shop. It's not terribly pretty I grant you but I quite like the way it tries hard plus unlike Norwich you can actually park there easily.

I was at Marham 1982-1988, and as a young lad with money in his pocket, I had a good time. Lived in Lynn for two years. But… I applied for a posting, got Leeming in North Yorkshire as I’d wanted, and didn’t look back. I’ll be polite for a change: everyone was friendly in N Yorks.

Shhhhhh!!!! It's not perfect but where else was I going to get 4 acres with 3 properties for pocket money :D

There are two hifi dealers in East Anglia, Signals and the other one.
The other one is Basically Sound, also a good dealer.

There are a few more than that. As East Anglia includes Cambridgeshire and at least Essex beyond London, I'd be surprised if there aren't as many as ten. Basically Sound used to be in a lovely big old schoolhouse near Mulbarton; characterful and huge dem. room. Unfortunately, they moved west to No Man's Land.

Getting two for the price of one here!

You're certainly getting your money's worth here. Wonder when the virtual tour will start.:)

Around Norwich, and stretching over a large area, is Broadland; its council is one of the efficient ones and council tax is reasonable. Much of the City is under Norwich City Council and those villages/towns to the south are under South Norfolk Council. The northern coast might be a tourist trap and contain Chelsea on Sea, but the Broadland area is, i.m.o., equally interesting and more bucolic, with rivers and broads offering exc. waterways and with myriad walking/exploring opportunities.

Norwich is, I believe, the best and most extensive shopping area in the whole of East Anglia (and beyond). It is now possible, with the recent intro. of the Northern Distributor Road. to virtually circumnavigate Norwich and its environs, with the A47 dual carriageway covering the southern routes and villages.

King's Lynn (which is a bit of an ancient dump) was, as aforementioned, a chief port for the Hanseatic League in the later middle ages. I wonder which king gave his name to it and what 'Lynn' represents. Could Google it, I s'pose, but where would be the pleasure in that with so many Norfolk brethren on pfm? Quite pleasurably surprised, really. ;)

just been looking at Basically sound site , they have a nice cd player there

Now OBi or winters audio has been around for a while now . a chap went over the other day to demo some tannoys . i would happily buy from him and frequently look at his website . he used to have some of the best sounds at the wam shows !!!

He was a restaurant owner i believe .
I guess lots of folks have other business , leema make farm stuff as well as brilliant hi fi

There are a few more than that. As East Anglia includes Cambridgeshire and at least Essex beyond London, I'd be surprised if there aren't as many as ten. Basically Sound used to be in a lovely big old schoolhouse near Mulbarton; characterful and huge dem. room. Unfortunately, they moved west to No Man's Land.

You're certainly getting your money's worth here. Wonder when the virtual tour will start.:)

Around Norwich, and stretching over a large area, is Broadland; its council is one of the efficient ones and council tax is reasonable. Much of the City is under Norwich City Council and those villages/towns to the south are under South Norfolk Council. The northern coast might be a tourist trap and contain Chelsea on Sea, but the Broadland area is, i.m.o., equally interesting and more bucolic, with rivers and broads offering exc. waterways and with myriad walking/exploring opportunities.

Norwich is, I believe, the best and most extensive shopping area in the whole of East Anglia (and beyond). It is now possible, with the recent intro. of the Northern Distributor Road. to virtually circumnavigate Norwich and its environs, with the A47 dual carriageway covering the southern routes and villages.

King's Lynn (which is a bit of an ancient dump) was, as aforementioned, a chief port for the Hanseatic League in the later middle ages. I wonder which king gave his name to it and what 'Lynn' represents. Could Google it, I s'pose, but where would be the pleasure in that with so many Norfolk brethren on pfm? Quite pleasurably surprised, really. ;)
basically sound are only in between barford and dereham- not really west and a lovely old barn conversion.

.... and the old town itself has some lovely buildings from the ports time in the Hanseatic league.
It.

King's Lynn (which is a bit of an ancient dump) was, as aforementioned, a chief port for the Hanseatic League in the later middle ages.
Not from Norfolk but, I have developed a bit of a thing about the Hanseatic league, having been to Hamburg, Lubeck, Stralsund, Griefswald and Tallinn this summer. As I think Mike suggests, KL wasn't actually in the league but was what seems to be called a factory or outpost- possibly in loose terms (but not strictly) a Kontor.
I am not kicking myself for not having visited the warehouse on my last visit, which consisted of a trip to a terrible curry house while waiting for a train back to London. I guess this identifies me as a barbarian invader.

advertisement

Back