advertisement

Nordost Speaker Cables - Any Good? (with Sonus Faber)

Are your speakers really 'rolled off in the treble''? I doubt it somehow, as Sonus Faber are a perfectly competent company, and even the cheapest drivers are fully capable of a decent response. Rather, they don't have the exaggerated treble favoured by the more cynical companies.
As for Nordost, think huge mark-ups and lots of sales talk. They sound pretty artificial to my ears, but people keep buying.....

I'm thinking about some new speaker cables and keep reading about Nordost being great for detail and working well with Sonus Faber speakers.

I have some (Serblin era) SF Cremona Auditors, which are very smooth sounding, with a fairly rolled off treble. I don't want to change the tone of them as such, but suspect they could "take" a bit more detail in the highs, which is one of the qualities that Nordost seem famous for, so seems like it might be a good match. Amp is an Exposure 2010s2 ("Fast", I'm told) with an LP12 front end.

My budget is tight but could probably stretch to White lighting or Purple Flare, sadly not higher up than that unless S/H. I mostly listen to 50's / 60's jazz with bit of classical, rock, prog and fusion thrown in (separately, not all on the same record).

I'm not interested to hear: "cables don't make any difference" unless you actually auditioned the Nordost and came to that conclusion - I will make up my own mind on that one when the time comes - cheers!

Thanks for any advices, would be interested to hear any other cable recommendations for the SF's too :)

jimmification: before you buy anything, make sure the Cremona Auditors M are placed at 1 meter (not less!)from back wall... if that does not solve your issue, then ok try cables...

jimmification: before you buy anything, make sure the Cremona Auditors M are placed at 1 meter (not less!)from back wall... if that does not solve your issue, then ok try cables...

...and I recommend to toe them in directly at your head (2 meter equilateral triangle)

The ASA won't touch that because it is a testimonial from a reviewer. It treads the line very carefully.

I read it as the reviewer saying how good he thought the Graphic cable was and TQ saying that Black Diamond cables leave their fantastic Graphite range a long way behind in terms of performance..

Anyway who gives a fook. Anyone silly enough to burn a couple of grand on such things will be delighted with them :rolleyes: :).

Paskin: I'm describing them in relation to other speakers in general, so whether they have "rolled off" treble (3db above 12khz from memory) or you see them as flat, whilst others have "boosted" treble is in some sense, relative semantics. I haven't suggested for a minute that anything SF do is anything other than completely intentional - They sound the way they do because Franco Serblin wanted them to sound precisely that way (and spent a very long time tweaking them to get there). But yes, I hear from industry people that certain brands with a bright sound are very easy to sell because they can sound superficially impressive in showroom demos. That's useful to hear your opinion on Nordost too, thanks.

Lavi: Cheers, actually mine are the originals (not "M" version) but your tips are good nonetheless :) actually there's not much issue, as I expanded earlier. I have very cheap cable now and wondering what a much better one would do! :)

advertisement

Back