advertisement

Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret

i was in London when it got released, I bought it in HMV shop at Oxford St. I loved this band from day zero and even the recent collaboration with Pet Shop Boys (not to everyone's taste) I find fantastic.

I saw them a couple of weekends ago. Excellent!

Nice to see them focusing on some current targets! Misses the bass though, that was so much of that track. Martyn Ware seems a really good bloke and is well worth following on Twitter. I’ve pre-ordered a copy of his autobiography ‘Electronically Yours Vol 1’. Both Human League and Heaven 17 were always highly political and have always been interesting. To my mind when they split in two Penthouse And Pavement was a better album than Dare, but that’s not knocking either.

PS I’ve got all the early stuff e.g. Human League’s The Dignity Of Labour 12” with its bizarre situationist free flexi-disk which is a spoken word recording of the band discussing what they should stick on a free flexi-disk!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Not going to start another thread for this but another electro album from the time that I really like and mentally catalogue with Soft cell and Human League (and have been known to still give a spin) is Heaven 17 "Penthouse and pavement":)

No better time than now to re-release "We don't need that (Fascist groove thang)":rolleyes:

LCD Soundsystem had the same idea, with tweaked lyrics for the Trump era

I owned the cassette of “Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret” back in the day, a present from my Gran. In retrospect I suspect my request might have raised eyebrows at the time, but what did I know, I was seven years old.

I owned the cassette of “Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret” back in the day, a present from my Gran. In retrospect I suspect my request might have raised eyebrows at the time, but what did I know, I was seven years old.

I got into trouble at school for saying that I liked Friggin' in the riggin'!

I also remember listening to “Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret” in the car and my Pa complaining that it wasn’t his sort of thing because “you can’t hear the words”. Thus was fortuitous, as we’d just played “Sex Dwarf”.

I wore out my copy of this. I kept leaving it on the bedroom turntable and listening to it in bed until I fell asleep. My old Beo turntable never returned the arm so it was spinning there all night in the groove. Ruined the bloody stylus. So I found a second mint copy and put it on cassette. Then digital music arrived, but I didn't by it on CD.

Love the Prophet 5 sound David Ball employed.

off topic but here goes.

In the mid Seventies…

A lad in school could play the piano very well, so he was allowed (once) to play piano as pupils came into assembly.
As we filed in to take our seats, Christopher played the Sex Pistols tune Friggin in the Riggin’ and most of the assembly sang out the lyrics. The teachers couldn’t stop the chorus coming from 100+ kids. A glorious moment that I had forgotten about.

:)

advertisement

Back