advertisement

Non-OEM F-mount lenses on Z mount?

Gromit

Plasticine Dog
Asking for a friend *cough*... :D

As has been said by a few, there's a slight disappointment that Nikon haven't made any kind of allowance for the use of old screw-drive AF lenses with the new Z mount cameras. However, we are where we are so hey ho.

Got thinking though - has anyone (or know of anyone who has) used F-mount lenses from Tamron or Sigma, for example, on Z Nikons via the FTZ? I do have a Tamron 24-70 2.8 SP which is pretty good which could possibly open up an entry to the system.

Thanks for any info. :)

@Gromit - I thought you'd never ask :D

Seriously though, I have had a very positive experience of using F mount glass on the Z series via the FTZ adaptor. In fact, I regularly use my Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF-P via the FTZ adaptor and am pleased to report it works flawlessly. In fact, the small size and light weight of the 70-300 makes for a great combo with the Z7). Here's an image I took handheld with that combo:

Heroes by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon Z7 / Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF-P.

This lens can be had for under £500 and is a serious bargain. (It's also weather sealed, unlike the 70-200/4).

Another F mount lens which I have adapted onto the Z7 is the Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 DI OSD. Again, it works flawlessly and is capable of great results. Here's an image I took with it earlier this year:

Tryfan from Afon Lloer by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon Z7 / Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 DI OSD

Again, this is another bargain and is available for under £500.

In terms of Macro, I also adapted the Nikkor 105mm f2.8 Macro successfully. Here's an image taken with that combo:

Marbled White (Male) by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon Z7 / Nikkor 105mm f2.8 Macro

Unfortunately, it's true that some older third party lenses won't work (unfortunately this includes your Tamron 24-70/2.8 SP G1). However, there are many lenses which work very well. In terms of Tamron lenses, here is an up-to-date list:

https://www.tamron.eu/service/compatibility-nikon-z-and-canon-eos-r/

This states the following Tamron lenses are compatible:

• SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A041): Serial number 004219 or higher or firmware 2.0 or higher
  • SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A032): From serial number 040912 resp. firmware 2.0
  • SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A025): Serial number 059178 or higher or firmware 2.0 or higher
  • SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Model A022): From serial number 035591 or firmware 2.0
  • 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di OSD (Model A037): From serial number 006446 or firmware 2.0
  • 18-400mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD (Model B028): From serial number 052673 or firmware 2.0
  • 35-150mm F/2.8-4 Di VC OSD (Model A043): All serial numbers compatible
  • SP 35mm F/1.4 Di USD (Model F045): All serial numbers are compatible.
  • SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F012): Firmware 3.0 and higher
  • 70-210mm F/4 Di VC USD (Model A034): Firmware 2.0 and higher
  • SP 85mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F016): Firmware 4.0 and higher
  • 100-400mm F/4.5-6.3 Di VC USD (Model A035): Firmware 3.0 and higher
  • SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (Model A012): update only via Tamron Service
  • 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD (Model B023): Firmware 2.0 and higher
  • SP 45mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F013): Firmware 2.0 and higher
  • SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD (Model F004): update only via Tamron Service
  • SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD (Model A011): update only via Tamron Service MF only
    *VC is not operational

That's quite a wide selection and I certainly wouldn't think twice about adapting via the FTZ.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Lefty

@Gromit - I thought you'd never ask :D

Seriously though, I have had a very positive experience of using F mount glass on the Z series via the FTZ adaptor. In fact, I regularly use my Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF-P via the FTZ adaptor and am pleased to report it works flawlessly. In fact, the small size and light weight of the 70-300 makes for a great combo with the Z7). Here's an image I took handheld with that combo:

Heroes by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon Z7 / Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 AF-P.

This lens can be had for under £500 and is a serious bargain. (It's also weather sealed, unlike the 70-200/4).

Another F mount lens which I have adapted onto the Z7 is the Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 DI OSD. Again, it works flawlessly and is capable of great results. Here's an image I took with it earlier this year:

Tryfan from Afon Lloer by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon Z7 / Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 DI OSD

Again, this is another bargain and is available for under £500.

In terms of Macro, I also adapted the Nikkor 105mm f2.8 Macro successfully. Here's an image taken with that combo:

Marbled White (Male) by Amar Sood, on Flickr

Nikon Z7 / Nikkor 105mm f2.8 Macro

Unfortunately, it's true that some older third party lenses won't work (unfortunately this includes your Tamron 24-70/2.8 SP G1). However, there are many lenses which work very well. In terms of Tamron lenses, here is an up-to-date list:

https://www.tamron.eu/service/compatibility-nikon-z-and-canon-eos-r/

This states the following Tamron lenses are compatible:

• SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A041): Serial number 004219 or higher or firmware 2.0 or higher
  • SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A032): From serial number 040912 resp. firmware 2.0
  • SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD G2 (Model A025): Serial number 059178 or higher or firmware 2.0 or higher
  • SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Model A022): From serial number 035591 or firmware 2.0
  • 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di OSD (Model A037): From serial number 006446 or firmware 2.0
  • 18-400mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD (Model B028): From serial number 052673 or firmware 2.0
  • 35-150mm F/2.8-4 Di VC OSD (Model A043): All serial numbers compatible
  • SP 35mm F/1.4 Di USD (Model F045): All serial numbers are compatible.
  • SP 35mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F012): Firmware 3.0 and higher
  • 70-210mm F/4 Di VC USD (Model A034): Firmware 2.0 and higher
  • SP 85mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F016): Firmware 4.0 and higher
  • 100-400mm F/4.5-6.3 Di VC USD (Model A035): Firmware 3.0 and higher
  • SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD (Model A012): update only via Tamron Service
  • 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD (Model B023): Firmware 2.0 and higher
  • SP 45mm F/1.8 Di VC USD (Model F013): Firmware 2.0 and higher
  • SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD (Model F004): update only via Tamron Service
  • SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD (Model A011): update only via Tamron Service MF only
    *VC is not operational

That's quite a wide selection and I certainly wouldn't think twice about adapting via the FTZ.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Lefty

Great Post, but @Gromit have to remember that if @Lefty used an old milk bottle for a lens, he'd still get amazingly sharp images! :D:D:D

Great Post, but @Gromit have to remember that if @Lefty used an old milk bottle for a lens, he'd still get amazingly sharp images! :D:D:D

Haha - too kind David! :D

Looking over those old images just makes me miss the mountains. Was hoping to be able to make it over before the end of Winter but that's looking less likely with each passing day :(

Lefty

Haha - too kind David! :D

Looking over those old images just makes me miss the mountains. Was hoping to be able to make it over before the end of Winter but that's looking less likely with each passing day :(

Lefty

I know, I've missed my annual Dec 27th visit to Dinorwig while my wife goes sales shopping - on the plus side I've just bought a new pair of hard boots (slightly discounted in the sales, and to replace the one the Mountain Rescue Team cut off!!), so I'm ready to go......... as soon as Wales is open again and we are 'allowed' to travel then I'm off

I know, I've missed my annual Dec 27th visit to Dinorwig while my wife goes sales shopping - on the plus side I've just bought a new pair of hard boots (slightly discounted in the sales, and to replace the one the Mountain Rescue Team cut off!!), so I'm ready to go......... as soon as Wales is open again and we are 'allowed' to travel then I'm off

Yeah, we just have to be patient. The mountains aren't going anywhere. Good call on the boots. Mine are overdue a replacement (they are no longer waterproof, as I found out on my last visit to Snowdonia!!)

Lefty

Thanks for all the superb info Amar - much appreciated. :)

Seems late-gen Tamron glass isn't an issue but my battered old 24-70 would be too hit & miss to trust. Just truly wish I could settle on one system - I was once wall-to-wall Fuji, and migrating to Capture One, whilst not 100% plain-sailing, has been a very positive move and shows what the X-Trans is capable of.

Maybe sentimentality has crept in which is why it would be so difficult to give up my D700, but adding a Z6 (and getting hold of a couple of G-series Nikkors) would mean having 2 Nikon bodies, with very different characteristics, sharing the same glass. The Voigtländers would work great on a Z6 too. :)

The M240's a tricky one - I've been delighted and disappointed in roughly equal measure.

@Gromit - happy to help :)

Yes, unfortunately the older Tamron lenses won't work. I was initially bummed about this as I had thought of getting a Tamron 70-200/2.8 G1 (which are excellent and available for not much money). However, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I wouldn't have discovered the 70-300 AF-P otherwise. (Which is much more suited to my needs if I'm being honest). Also, while older Tamron lenses won't work, I understand Sigma compatibility is much better. Although if I were looking to keep the D700 and run it alongside the Z6 with the same glass, I'd have a good look at the venerable Nikkor 24-70/2.8. These can be picked up reasonably cheaply now (£550ish) and they are absolutely wonderful. (Although I'd say the 24-70/4 Z lens equals it and is smaller / lighter, as long as long as you don't mind an f4).

I hear where you're coming from re: trying to settle on one system. When I picked up my A7rII, I still had a sentimental attachment to Fuji so I picked up another X-T2. However, I soon discovered that I just didn't use it and after around 6 months, I moved it on and from then on, vowed I would stick to one system only. The only exception being a smaller fixed lens compact to take out alongside the main camera, such as the Sony RX100 III which I now have.

Interesting comments about the M240. I must admit I know nothing about Leica. Has it not lived up to expectations?

Lefty

@Lefty - thanks Amar.

Interestingly, I tried a Nikkor 24-70 on my D700 recently (belongs to a retired pro-photographer friend in our village who runs a D810). Really liked it, and much preferred its handling vs my Tamron. IQ-wise the Tamron takes it by a nose, but that's obviously of no use if its incompatible with Z/FTZ.

Of course I could move my Nikon gear on but with such a fondness for the D700 it would be a wrench to do so. For a design that's 12 years old it still produces gorgeous images. If I did, it would probably mean going full-on Fuji as (apart from Olympus) it's the only system which really appeals. A Z makes sense as it does mean cross-compatibility between bodies. I'm a total IBIS whore now as well so that's another box ticked (with a Z6/7). The screw-drive lenses would be fine in MF (along with the ever-wonderful 105-2.5 AI).

The Leica's a tricky one. It's simply gorgeous to use, its build quality is off the scale in particular, with every button and dial having a machined heft, a rifle bolt-action feel which is so addictive. Rangefinder focusing takes a little getting used to, but is utterly accurate. It's a PITA wearing specs though; 35 & 50mm frame lines are ok but 28mm doesn't give enough eye relief. The metering isn't as accurate as the D700's, and the raw files don't have as much DR as one might expect from a full frame sensor. The Voigtländer lenses are excellent though, and for the money are of very high quality in terms of build and IQ. I haven't had the pleasure of trying any 'real' Leica glass yet - the prices are eye-watering of course - but it might be worth trying to borrow one just to get the full effect, and if it really is worth sticking with.

I occasionally take a wander through my Flickr pages, checking out what I took - and with what kit - which often throws up surprises, some of them are even pleasant. :D

@Gromit It's a tough decision and is also a very personal one. My personal approach has been to try and become more utilitarian about camera equipment and treat it purely as a tool. The result has been a real slimming down of my kit. Obviously it started with the selling of the Fuji a couple of years ago, but it has recently gone further than that and I have sold both my 105/2.8 macro and the 17-35/2.8-4 on the grounds that I just don't use them very often. I could go further and part with the 105/2.5 AI-S but we both know I'd only end up buying it again, so that would be a bad idea! This approach also led to the purchase of the 70-300. A lens which I previously would have overlooked for no other reason than me feeling 'well, it's not a 70-200/2.8'.

However, that doesn't stop me lusting after equipment. I would love to add a Z 14-30/4, Z 70-200/2.8 and the upcoming Z 100-400 to my kit-bag! Whether or not I can justify / afford them is another matter. The 14-30/4 in particular has been taunting me and is currently on offer for £900. The trouble is, we don't have many 'big-vistas' to shoot here in Milton Keynes!

The IBIS on the Z bodies is a game changer. Whilst I don't think it's as effective as the IBIS in the Olympus bodies (from what I hear), it's enough to allow me to leave the tripod at home and hand hold 99% of my images. This has probably been the biggest change in my photography over the last 12-18 months and it has resulted in me being much more photographically productive (and happy).

I totally understand where you're coming from re: the Leica and owning something that is a pleasure to use. Whilst I've not owned a Leica, the X100 was very similar in that it just made me want to take photos. The leaf shutter on its own was worth the price of admission. However, if it isn't delivering the photographic goods relative to your other cameras and you are left feeling you may need to invest in some extremely expensive glass to get the best out of it, then perhaps it might be worth looking elsewhere? Of course, it really isn't my place to say and if you enjoy the camera then of course that's as good a reason as any to keep it. After all, that's part of the fun of being us being hobbyists. The buying, selling and chasing of kit :)

I occasionally take a wander through my Flickr pages, checking out what I took - and with what kit - which often throws up surprises, some of them are even pleasant. :D

Hahaha - excellent! :D

Lefty

Last edited:
Thanks Amar - all makes good sense. :)

I've just yesterday managed to sell on my Viltrox and Mitakon lenses which have been used on my Fuji(s). Chatting to a close friend last night, I only happened to mention I was considering moving them on so he bit my hand off. Basically, the decks are clear to look at a Z6 - LCE have a clean used one, and also an FTZ so I'm sure my buddy Jamie (store manager) will cut me a deal. There's so much sense in keeping things 'one make' even if a couple of lenses aren't fully useable on the Z. Been checking out your 70-300 - looks to be one hell of a lens for the money (looking at your images it's not exactly a surprise!).

Took the Leica over to Belton House this morning, shot just mono jpegs, and am back loving it again. :)

@Gromit - apologies, only just seen this.

That Z6 sounds like it's definitely worth investigating, especially if there is the potential for a deal on it. In fact, now is probably a good time to pick one up as people rush to upgrade to the Z6 II. (I'll be keeping my Z7 as I don't feel the Z7 II offers enough of an upgrade). Provided you don't mind the relatively small aperture compared to the 70-200/2.8, the 70-300 makes a lot of sense. As much as I love the idea of a 70-200, it just doesn't make sense for my use case.

Glad you've fallen back in love with the Leica again. I will try one some day (but will make sure I leave the wallet at home, otherwise things could get messy :D )

Lefty

@Gromit - apologies, only just seen this.

That Z6 sounds like it's definitely worth investigating, especially if there is the potential for a deal on it. In fact, now is probably a good time to pick one up as people rush to upgrade to the Z6 II. (I'll be keeping my Z7 as I don't feel the Z7 II offers enough of an upgrade). Provided you don't mind the relatively small aperture compared to the 70-200/2.8, the 70-300 makes a lot of sense. As much as I love the idea of a 70-200, it just doesn't make sense for my use case.

Glad you've fallen back in love with the Leica again. I will try one some day (but will make sure I leave the wallet at home, otherwise things could get messy :D )

Lefty

Thanks Amar.

Am going to phone Lincoln LCE tomorrow and see what we can come up with. MPB have a few 6's in stock but their prices are a little bit higher, and whilst I have always had brilliant service from them, I'll stick with the 'High St shop' in this instance. Was weighing up a 6II (with FTZ) but its price is still at least 5-600 quid more than going for the original. I don't need any more speed, although the SD card option would be tempting.

Another issue with the II is that I've reached the update limit on my Lightroom Classic, which is incompatible with the 6II. My Mac won't run OSX beyond High Sierra (later versions of LR need Mojave or later). Got Capture One though which will work fine, but it's nice to have the option.

@Gromit - good luck for tomorrow! Let us know how you get on :)

That's a good point about the SD cards. I've now gotten over the XQD barrier and have acquired two 64GB cards, but the problem is they aren't cheap and I needed to buy a reader for them also. They are brilliant though. Supremely fast. (Although I understand the first gen Z cameras either already or, or will become CF Express compatible via a firmware update).

Lefty

@Gromit - good luck for tomorrow! Let us know how you get on :)

That's a good point about the SD cards. I've now gotten over the XQD barrier and have acquired two 64GB cards, but the problem is they aren't cheap and I needed to buy a reader for them also. They are brilliant though. Supremely fast. (Although I understand the first gen Z cameras either already or, or will become CF Express compatible via a firmware update).

Lefty

Thanks Amar :)

Just spoke to LCE, they'd be happy to do a combined deal on the Z6 with the FTZ. I'm still slightly unsure whether to make the jump though as, whilst I'm not unaware of the optical superiority of the modern glass, I still have 3 lovely AF-D lenses sat here which would be a shame not to use. I'm very fond of them especially the 85-1.8 which does have a lovley pop to it.

As a slight curve-ball, they did suggest looking at a used D780 - exact same sensor as the Z6, dual SD's, and using live view the same AF capability as the Z. And all the old lenses will work fine - plus it has peaking on live view.

The live view on my D850 is why I am not interested in swapping to a Z.
That and all my screw lenses.

Pete

The live view on my D850 is why I am not interested in swapping to a Z.
That and all my screw lenses.

Pete

Pete - I truly wasn't aware, until today, that LV is so accomplished on the latest DSLRs. Of course on my old D700 it's a bit pathetic (it is a 12 year old design after all). However, with most of my landscape photos being shot in live view (on mirrorless and Leica), something like a D780 - even an 850 - wouldn't be beyond reach, and I get to keep and use my old glass.

Thanks Amar :)

Just spoke to LCE, they'd be happy to do a combined deal on the Z6 with the FTZ. I'm still slightly unsure whether to make the jump though as, whilst I'm not unaware of the optical superiority of the modern glass, I still have 3 lovely AF-D lenses sat here which would be a shame not to use. I'm very fond of them especially the 85-1.8 which does have a lovley pop to it.

As a slight curve-ball, they did suggest looking at a used D780 - exact same sensor as the Z6, dual SD's, and using live view the same AF capability as the Z. And all the old lenses will work fine - plus it has peaking on live view.

Makes total sense in terms of wanting to keep using your AF-D lenses. I know we've said it before but it really is a shame there isn't an adapter for older screw focusing lenses.

The D780 is an interesting curve ball. I had't realised it has the same focusing capabilities as the Z6 in live view. From what I understand, this is a big step up over the D850's live view focus capabilities (As I understand it, the D850 still uses the older Nikon Live View AF, which was never very good unfortunately). It's an interesting option, but I just looked at the price and it's not cheap! Also, would the D780 have the same problem in terms of Lr RAW compatibility as the Z6 II?

I think a lot depends on what it is that attracts you to the Z cameras. For me, it was two things:

The EVF and being able to shoot WYSIWYG through the viewfinder and also to be able to review images through the viewfinder. (Live view is good, but I find that when reviewing images out in the field, the ambient light can sometimes make this hard - e.g. bright daylight. The EVF gets around this problem). The lens compatibility situation wasn't ideal, but since I only had one AF-D lens (the 50/1.8) it wasn't a deal breaker for me. What other AF-D lenses have you got out of interest? Would it be possible to sell these and replace with AF-S equivalents? (E.g. the 85/1.8 AF-S can be had for around £300 and I can confirm it works flawlessly with the FTZ).​

IBIS. This is absolutely essential IMHO for high megapixel cameras. As we know, camera shake when hand holding is magnified as resolution increases and the IBIS totally negates this.​

If it's maintaining compatibility with the older lenses you are interested in, then I would seriously think about a second hand D850 (as long as you are ok with the large files it generates in terms of processing power and storage space). It should also be available for less than the price of a new D780.

Lefty

advertisement

Back