advertisement

Non fatiguing amps

There are so many choices out there Geoffrey it’s not surprising it’s confusing or that you might regret asking. Is it definitely a preamp question and do you have a budget in mind? I’m tired as I write this so apologies if you’ve already been clear on it but if not it might help narrow it for those trying to help.

I know when I bought my A-S3000 I liked the build, the wealth of inputs, the power and control, the choices and quality of connections on the back panel, the headphone jack, the remote and of course the non-fatiguing sound. I’ve owned valve, solid state, pre-power and integrated from different manufacturers and struggle to imagine moving on from an amp like this Now. Oh and paid £1900 when I bought it late in 2020. I get it that others have this sort of amp from one of the makers in this space.

Good luck with the search whichever direction you are headed.

Exposure RC XXV RC

Nice integrated that is easily servicable by Exposure or a skilled tech.

2802077-ce879413-exposure-xxv-rc-regulated-integrated-amplifier-black-tested-amp-working.jpg

It would help to know the budget with more precision but i second the idea of older Creek and Arcam. Trouble is older Arcam sounded dull to me but you might not mind that

Have you bought the Quad power amp? If not, a good shout (I bought one) is a Perreaux 80i secondhand. They were £3k new but just £1k secondhand if you can find one. They drive any load of speaker, on the warm side and lots of bass…and have a remote

Or (not sure this has been mentioned) are Meridian integrated warm sounding? Their CD players and tuners are certainly on the warm sweet side of the spectrum

Try a quad cdp-2 as a pre amp for quad power amp..should be very non fatiguing plus it's a very good cd spinner too!
Or look at special offers at Icon Audio..I just bought a stereo 60 amp and it's magnificent..I have the cdp2 and a 909 amp and it's very good..but those Icon Audio amps are wonderful...very heavy though..like quad they do good customer service too.

I’ve been listening to a Sugden A21 for the last three and a half hours. If you only want the remote to control the volume and can bear secondhand kit, a 21st century Sugden integrated might be a contender.

Top end pricing but good support and you’ll get your money back when it’s time to sell.

Is the Yamaha house sound smooth, sweet and none fatiguing?
There’s a big thread on Yamaha amps on the Steve Hoffman forum that should informative, also a recent Steve Huff YouTube video, not that I’m pushing you in that direction. Just feeding back on options to read up on and think about.

The Atoll IN300 also non fatiguing. Not one of the usual suspects but a great amp.

Almost pulled the trigger on an Atoll. From what I read they would definitely fit the bill perhaps moreso than many of the Brit integrateds. Smooth, warm, lack of glare were the type of descriptions used. The IN200 is £1.7k new. Could prob pick up a second hand one for a grand

advertisement

Back