advertisement

Nominations for a PFM list of 25 top speakers of all time.

I know what you are getting at, but I don't think those are the right three speakers!

My thinking was that the AR-3 introduced the world to the small two way. The LS3/5a made people think we could make speakers even smaller and the K&H gave us the powered loudspeaker.

The world is sadly today filled with small two ways many of which are powered and sit on a desk or under a TV and I couldn't think of any design that competed in any way with that. The method of bass loading didn't cross my mind but I see your point.

Ported cabinets have of course been around for over fifty years. Hofmann asserted correctly of course that you couldn't have proper bass response in a small cabinet and maintain an efficient loudspeaker so something had to give. Well designed ported enclosures sound wonderful IME - many of my favourite speakers are well implemented bass reflex designs.

Again as an aside, maybe the Devialet Phantom that Frank and Clive have invested in will, in years to come, be seen as something of a watershed in hifi loudspeaker design and be seen as highly influential? One can only hope.

My thinking was that the AR-3 introduced the world to the small two way.

The world is sadly today filled with small two ways <snip> One can only hope.

Except the AR 3 is actually a not so small 3 way.

Never come across anyone filled with sadness and lack of hope at the state of loudspeaker design before now. Worse things can happen, you know ;)

Mr Tibbs

My nominaiton for a rememberable speaker was "Servosound" - I small box with a built in amp and some form of feedback patent feedback and motion control system. I always remember them being really effective and surprisingly effective despite their small size. I'm not sure they counted as true hifi as they were really for commercial use but they were certainly of a very decent quality when it came to the sound they produced. The system I remember used two Goldring GL75 turntables and 8 servosound speakers arranged in pairs around a medium sized room. All operated from a console housing the mixer and amp contols - built like a tank and not what you would call transportable although a joy to operate. Ahhhh happy memories......

Except the AR 3 is actually a not so small 3 way.

Mr Tibbs

Technically yes - maybe I should have added the word "concept" to clarify?

ar3a1.jpg

The AR-3 visual template formed the basis of so much rubbish that has come since and was very very small compared with what had gone before it

Someone then thought they could make this even smaller for voice reproduction and someone somewhere thought this was also suitable for music reproduction at home...

RogersLS35A004.jpg

It's one of those thought processes (mine) that is probably an awful lot easier to to get across face to face. :)

Technically yes - maybe I should have added the word "concept" to clarify?

The AR-3 visual template formed the basis of so much rubbish that has come since and was very very small compared with what had gone before it

Someone then thought they could make this even smaller for voice reproduction and someone somewhere thought this was also suitable for music reproduction at home...

It's one of those thought processes (mine) that is probably an awful lot easier to to get across face to face. :)

It's a very big leap to blame the 'visual template' of the AR-3 as somehow responsible for all the crappy little 2-way speakers designed since. More importantly, the AR-3 was actually a pretty competent loudspeaker which proved that good full-range reproduction could be achieved without resorting to massive boxes. In most domestic settings this was useful in that a couple of wardrobes could exit the living room. Very few people want or need a PA sized loudspeaker system.

Here's another AR-3 sized speaker that disproves the notion size is everything. The sealed box 3 way is capable of outstanding results in a modestly sized package in a domestic environment.

8189822425_7d0a6c658c_z.jpg

Mr Tibbs

Over these 23 pages the Linn Kan gets quite a few mentions; is it the winner?

Some one will crunch the numbers.

That's the impression I got...

#1 top speaker of all time according to PFM members is the Tinn Kan!

RogersLS35A004.jpg

I think you are being rather unfair to the LS3/5A and its infinite baffle minimonitor derivatives. This class of speaker can be absolutely stunning in their intended low level, up close and personal near-field context. It's a different listening experience for sure, but no less informative or valid. I fully understand why so many Japanese vintage Tannoy, JBL or Altec owners also own a pair of LS3/5As or similar as they give an entirely different and no less valid perspective. I love my JR149s and consider them on a par to the Tannoys, but in an entirely different way. They each do things the other does not and work in a different listening environment.

PS The classic AR3 derivative is of course the NS1000!

I think you are being rather unfair to the LS3/5A and its infinite baffle minimonitor derivatives. This class of speaker can be absolutely stunning in their intended low level, up close and personal near-field context.

I'm going to suggest we agree to disagree if that's OK Tony? One of the joys of loudspeakers I guess is that there is such diversity in both preference and (still) design - with no right or wrong solution that fits all.

I've personally never "got" little sealed boxes though - just as I've never got the dismissal of all bass reflex designs by some. Little sealed boxes simply lose too much of what is important to me in music replay to be considered worthwhile. Supposed timing is irrelevant to me if said timing sounds like someone flicking a paper bag with their index finger :)

Large sealed boxes are fine, but then IMHO so are slightly smaller or similarly large well designed reflex enclosures when placed in appropriate room settings.

BTW. Gales were lovely in their time. Visually they have aged as well as an Eames recliner IMHO. If only I could say the same about myself...

Pete,

most young people today can't afford to live in properties of the same size as the bass enclosures you advocate...

I fully understand why so many Japanese vintage Tannoy, JBL or Altec owners also own a pair of LS3/5As or similar as they give an entirely different and no less valid perspective.

PS The classic AR3 derivative is of course the NS1000!

Funny you should mention it! I'm not Japanese, but the big JBL fan of myself just recently bought a pair of SVA 2100 (2*10 inch plus modern CD horn, 93 dB sensitivity, they are from the 1990's, non vintage, you get them for nothing) to replace moldish 4331B monitors. Excellent sound, but they had mold in them to (sh*te, I'm allergic). So back to my Royd RR-3's, and, to get a perspective, my trusted LS3/5a's. The '5a's, inside their very limited limits can sound surprisingly live and 'real'. So, on a diet of HiFi show jazz and solo piano, I'm quite happy.

I have owned AR3's, and live in NS1000 country. Btw, did you know AR3's where used as studio monitors by Motown in the 1960's?

My all time favourite must be active Naim DBL's, they put the musicians into the living room, as real as they can be, nothing more has to be said. Passive DBL's sound like some 6*9's in the back of a car, though.

JohanR

NS 1000, no question, takes the cake for many reasons.

Runner up has to be the AE1.

Honourable mention to the SL2.

Common factor?

Speed!

advertisement

Back