advertisement

Noisy RP6

stairpost

Average at best.
Hi,

I have just picked up a Rega RP6, love it! really enjoying everything coming out of it, but, when I select 45 the platter is quite noisy, it's very ible when standing next to it but can't be heard as soon as music is played. I bought it used in mint condition and only around 6 months old.

Is it normal to be so noisy?

cheers

Rich.

I would not have thought so, None of mine (P2, P3, P25 and P9) have been any noiser at 45 than 33 from what I can remember, but I seldom play 45's. Is it more noisey with the the platter off? i.e. is it a platter seating problem, or a motor noise problem.

Probably not the oil, but in the spirit of eliminating all possibilities, why not give the bearing a clean and re-lube?

Hi Stairpost,

When you say noisy what exactly do you mean ?

The noise would not be coming from the platter per se, so if you could elaborate then we can get it sorted for you.

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

Thanks for the replies.

I shall get the spirit level out when I get home and double check it's flat.

I shall also re-seat the platter to make sure of that too.

Paul, it's a kind of dull, low frequency clicking/ticking noise, it is there on on 33 too actually but far less pronounced.

As a first step try removing the mat, platter and belt then switch on and see if the noise is still there. If it is a careful but firm press down on the pulley may resolve the issue - it did on my RP3. If the noise has gone then we need to look for another cause.

As a first step try removing the mat, platter and belt then switch on and see if the noise is still there. If it is a careful but firm press down on the pulley may resolve the issue - it did on my RP3. If the noise has gone then we need to look for another cause.

Will try that, thanks.

Away till Sunday night, but I shall update then.

I have just taken the platter and belt off and it still makes the same noise, it does actually sound quieter than I remember and wonder if it is just motor noise, it's the kind of chugging noise a motor makes.

The deck is level.

It's definitely there though, is the motor supposed to be dead silent?

It's not rubbing on the plinth? Is the pulley straight when it's turning? It could be that the bearing in the motor had been damaged- you could try a small drop of the bearing oil into the top bearing of the motor or take the cover off underneath and check the small black thrust pad on the bottom of the motor is in tact and has a bit of grease in it.

That sounds exactly what I experienced with a brand new RP3. Underneath the motor there is an adhesive pad fixed to the inside of the plastic motor cover; I believe this acts as a sort of thrust bearing and needs to be in contact with the base of the motor. I suggest that you carry out the procedure I mentioned in post #9. I discovered that myself but my dealer later confirmed it to be what he would have advised.

The motor should be virtually silent.

That sounds exactly what I experienced with a brand new RP3. Underneath the motor there is an adhesive pad fixed to the inside of the plastic motor cover; I believe this acts as a sort of thrust bearing and needs to be in contact with the base of the motor. I suggest that you carry out the procedure I mentioned in post #9. I discovered that myself but my dealer later confirmed it to be what he would have advised.

The motor should be virtually silent.

Sorted!

A quick firm push down on the pulley did the trick.

Much appreciated, thank you.

No problem. I did find that I needed to repeat the procedure a couple of times during the first two days but the motor is now completely silent.

advertisement

Back